2011 NHL Off Season

What a weird first day of free agency...

Jaromir Jagr joins Philadelphia Flyers, snubs Penguins over money

With that one move, Jagr is now the most hated Flyer amongst the Pens faithful. Talbot, not so much. We really like him, but we knew there wasn't enough space under the cap for one of our memorable players, and the writing was on the wall for Max as soon as we re-signed Dupuis. Really sad to see him go (to the Flyers to add some salt!) :(

Like Pittsburgh fans ever forgave him for leaving the first time.

bergenheim to florida with a nice raise in salary, also leinos deal to buffalo with 6-years was quite a surprise too...

Last edited:
It's a website with the answer to the question 'Have the Nashville Predators signed Shea Weber yet?', and it still says no.

They haven't signed their most important player that isn't the goalie, let half the team get away, and have no signees to show for it. Our best season ever is met head-on with an off-season no one wants to see.

It's a website with the answer to the question 'Have the Nashville Predators signed Shea Weber yet?', and it still says no.

They haven't signed their most important player that isn't the goalie, let half the team get away, and have no signees to show for it. Our best season ever is met head-on with an off-season no one wants to see.

Great seasons can always make things like this happen if your front office isnt doing its job. Players are worth more money and they know it or even that it took the planned (insert amount of time here) to build/rebuild and now that time and those contracts have come to an end. nature of the beast but as they say, lets see what happens because you never know what you have got so "thats why they play the game"

http://www.ontheforecheck.com/2011/7/5/2256708/nashville-predators-pekka-rinne-ryan-suter

Interesting points made here. The need for a top-six forward is very strong, so one may have to go. I don't foresee either of them being traded, but if one should go, it needs to be Rinne. For this team to succeed, they need that top defensive pairing to stay together. Besides, Mitch Korn is the Predators' goalie coach, and one of his pupils was a half-way decent goalie named Dominik Hasek.

Since there is absolutely jack-all going on with the Predators right now (aside from tomorrow's Skate of the Union party downtown where they'll "unveil" the new home jerseys), I give you a music video where former Predator Alexander Radulov sleeps in his girlfriend's garage.

Video may contain unhealthy amounts of Russian pop music.

Chris Osgood has retired. I know he was never among the top 5 goalies during his time, but he was not far from it and was clutch.

http://www.detnews.com/article/2011.../Red-Wings?-Chris-Osgood-announces-retirement

Red Wings' Chris Osgood announces retirement

Ted Kulfan/ The Detroit News

Detroit ?Chris Osgood's career has come to an end.

The veteran goaltender announced this afternoon he is ending his 17-year, Hall of Fame-caliber career. He will join the Red Wings front office as a goaltending coach.

Osgood, 38, said the decision to retire was equal parts physical (he had season-ending groin surgery in January) and mental, wanting to spend more time with his family and not being ready for the grind of another season.

"There are a lot of factors," said Osgood, who was part of three Stanley Cup teams with the Wings. "In the end, it was the right time for me. After I told (general manager) Kenny (Holland), I felt at peace with myself and realized I did the right thing. It was definitely a struggle on a day-to-day basis."

Osgood became the 10th goalie all-time to win 400 games ? he finished his career with 401 ? with a dramatic 46-save overtime victory Dec. 27 against Colorado.

Had he not gotten No. 400, Osgood likely would have come back.

"That (400 victories) was on my radar," Osgood said. "I was going to play until I got it. It sounds selfish, but that would have been my decision probably."

Osgood won 319 games with the Wings and had 39 shutouts. For his career (with the Wings, New York Islanders and St. Louis Blues), Osgood played 744 games with 50 shutous.

His 74 playoff victories rank eighth all-time, and his 15 playoff shutouts are fourth.

Groin surgery last season ended Osgood's season in January. He was limited to 34 games over the last two seasons ? only 11 last season.

Osgood was 5-3-2 last season with a 2.77 goals-against average and 90.3 save percentage.

Holland said the Wings are likely to sign a backup goalie by the end of the week. A probable candidate is Ty Conklin, who backed up Osgood for a season in 2009. Conklin is a free agent, after spending the last two seasons in St. Louis.

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20110719...ris-Osgood-announces-retirement#ixzz1SaHajNvU