2012 Formula 1 Grand Prix Of Germany

lukenwolf

Car(s)
Alfa 145 2.0 Twin Spark 16V, dedicated ring toy
Since nobody else did it yet, here is...

2012 Formula 1 Grand Prix Of Nordschleifistan
or, as foreigners insist on calling it: Germany

Race Date: July 22nd, 2012
Circuit Name: Hockenheimring (Baden-W?rtemberg, Germany)#
Circuit Length: 4.574 km (2.842 mi)
Race Length: 67 laps, 306.458 km (190.433mi)
Lap Record: 1:13.780 Kimmi R?ikk?nen (2004)

Track Layout:

250px-Hockenheim2012.svg.png

Last Time (held at N?rburgring)
Pole Position: Mark Webber - Red Bull-Renault 1:30.079
Fastest Lap: Lewis Hamilton - McLaren-Mercedes 1:34.302 (lap 54)

Podium:
1. Lewis Hamilton (McLaren-Mercedes)
2. Fernando Alonso (Ferrari)
3. Mark Webber (Red Bull-Renault)

Questions for consideration
1. With N?rburgring and Hockenheimring sharing the GP hosting duties, this year the race returns to Mercedes' backyard in Baden-W?rtemberg. The team is under pressure to deliver in front of their home crowd. Can they deliver?
2. With Pirelli's comedy tires, the season has so far been a case of 'pin the tail on the donkey', with the notable exception of Fernando Alonso, who has almost always been at the business end of the field. Can he become the first triple winner of the season and charge ahead in the standings?
3. The qualifying is expected to be disrupted by rain. Who could be a surprise pole setter?
4. Can Michael Schumacher finally score his first comeback victory?
5. With the famous N?rburgring having filed bankruptcy a few days ago, will the German GP stay in Hockenheim, permanently?

cheers,
Lukenwolf

Last edited:
Questions for consideration
1. With N?rburgring and Hockenheimring sharing the GP hosting duties, this year the race returns to Mercedes' backyard in Baden-W?rtemberg. The team is under pressure to deliver in front of their home crowd. Can they deliver?

We are set up for weather not unlike two weeks ago, although with less rain today, so if they don't go with an extreme setup a podium should be possible.

2. With Pirelli's comedy tires, the season has so far been a case of 'pin the tail on the donkey', with the notable exception of Fernando Alonso, who has almost always been at the business end of the field. Can he become the first triple winner of the season and charge ahead in the standings?

I hope not, this season has been rather good so far, a third Alonso win would spoil it. He actually won here last time around, well Massa gave him the victory.

3. The qualifying is expected to be disrupted by rain. Who could be a surprise pole setter?

Tomorrow should be dry, so finding a balanced setup is key. Someone will gamble with a wet setup and get pole, possibly Perez.

4. Can Michael Schumacher finally score his first comeback victory?

A podium maybe, but I doubt a victory.

5. With the famous N?rburgring having filed bankruptcy a few days ago, will the German GP stay in Hockenheim, permanently?

No, they will make it work.

The big question for this weekend, is whether Ecclestone will turn up in Germany at all and if he does, whether he will be arrested. I am guessing he will chicken out and skip this race.

Last edited:
Good grief :? Mercedes badly gambling. What the hell possessed them to stay out on hard tires, when other top-cars are out on softs.

At least R?ikk?nen stayed on hard tires too in Q1.

Alonso. Fuck yeah. :D:dance:

We'll see how things go tomorrow... this season, there's a severe case of "the pole sitter is not the winner".

While I strongly dislike the tifosi (for displaying an intelligence quotient equal to a damp piece of wood, or worse, Pastor Maldonado), I have to give credit where credit is due: Alonso really outdrove everyone else once the heavens opened up in qualifying. Bravo.

Nice to see Schumacher end up with a good position, too. Ultimately, though, I'm hopeful for team Brit to come through, as the McLarens look much better this week than in weeks past.

Yeah you gotta hand it to Alonso, the guy can drive. Hoping Webber and the McLarens can come through the field tomorrow.

Zie Germans appeared pretty impressive at their home race in qualifying, starting 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. And then there's Rosberg and Glock...what happened to Nico being good at qualifying? Starts out 7th, 8th, 1st, 5th, 6th, 3rd, 5th, 6th, then suddenly drops to 13th in Great Britain and 17th here.

Alonso is now the man, the car is much better, and a smart move with the tyres today in Q3 too. He is going to be difficult to beat.

Zie Germans appeared pretty impressive at their home race in qualifying, starting 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. And then there's Rosberg and Glock...what happened to Nico being good at qualifying? Starts out 7th, 8th, 1st, 5th, 6th, 3rd, 5th, 6th, then suddenly drops to 13th in Great Britain and 17th here.

Rosberg just couldn't make the tires work and by the time he felt comfortable with them, it was raining too hard.

[h=1]Red Bull's engine maps referred to German Grand Prix stewards by FIA[/h]
The FIA has referred Red Bull to the stewards of the German Grand Prix for a suspected breach of Formula 1's technical regulations.
A statement released by FIA Formula 1 technical delegate Jo Bauer said that the matter related to the engine torque maps on both Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber's cars.
The FIA highlighted that the reduced torque in the mid rpm range on both cars was a breach of the regulations in itself, but also because it could offer an illegal aerodynamic benefit as well.
This suggests that the FIA suspects that there could be a benefit related to the exhaust blown diffuser technology that was effectively curbed at the start of the season through a package of regulations that included those covering engine mapping.
"Having examined the engine base torque map of car numbers 01 and 02 it became apparent that the maximum torque output of both engines is significantly less in the mid rpm range than previously seen at other events," said Bauer in the statement.
"In my opinion this is therefore in breach of article 5.5.3 of the 2012 Formula 1 technical regulations as the engines are able to deliver more torque at a given engine speed in the mid rpm range.
"Furthermore this new torque map will artificially alter the aerodynamic characteristics of both cars which is also in contravention of TD 036-11. I am referring this matter to the stewards."
Red Bull team principal Christian Horner told AUTOSPORT: "I'm not aware of any irregularities. The result was declared after qualifying."

Autosport

Button is back on form! Or perhaps the car is back to his liking?

- - - Updated - - -

LOLWUT HAMILTON IMPEDES VETTEL FOR ALONSO.

What the hell? :lol:

Haha, Hamilton unlapping himself past Vettel, Vettel gesticulating furiously. Slightly bizarre scenes but entirely sporting and legal, but now what if he has to unlap himself from Alonso..? All this works for Button I guess.