2013 engine changes approved, but postponement possible

DubyaStep

Tampa, Florida but now in Casselberry for school
Car(s)
Ford Thundercougarfalconbird
I feel this deserves its own thread so, here we go. This is from Formula1.com. what do you guys think? I hate the fact that we may end up with a four-banger that only revs to 12000. Just doesnt seem very "F1-ish" if you know what i mean. Is this something that will make it through? Why?

2013 engine changes approved, but postponement possible
Following a meeting of its World Motor Sport Council (WMSC) in the Spanish city of Barcelona on Friday, the FIA has released details of regulation changes which could come into force for the 2013 season. The sport?s governing body, however, also revealed that a vote could be taken to change the timing of their introduction.

One of the major revisions approved by the WMSC is the establishment of a new engine formula, which will see the current 2.4 litre V8s replaced with 1.6 litre four-cylinder units, with high pressure gasoline injection up to 500 bar and extensive energy management and energy recovery systems. Rev limits on the new engines will be reduced from the current 18,000rpm to a maximum of 12,000.

The aerodynamic regulations for 2013 have been based on the rules used this season, although there are some modifications to improve aero efficiency. The FIA believes that combined with the new powertrain change, the 2013 revisions will deliver a 35 percent reduction in fuel consumption.

Other amendments include a new limit on the height of the tip of car noses to improve safety in T-bone type accidents, a limitation on transmissions (gear ratios, number of gearboxes) in order to decrease costs, and an increase to the overall weight of cars to 660kg. The minimum weight was raised to 640kg this season.

The FIA will now consult with the sport?s main stakeholders and, depending on the outcome of this consultation, may hold a fax vote (by June 30 at the latest) which would permit the implementation date to change.

Related statement from the FIA:
The Technical Regulations for 2013 were approved:
- Power units will be four cylinders, 1.6 litre with high pressure gasoline injection up to 500 bar with a maximum of 12,000 rpm, with extensive energy management and energy recovery systems (now known as ERS), reflecting the decision taken by the WMSC in December 2010
- The aerodynamic regulations have been based on 2011 rules, with modifications in order to improve the aerodynamic efficiency: together with the power train rules, this will enable a 35 percent reduction in fuel consumption
- The height of the tip of the nose will be limited to ensure better compatibility in a T-bone style accident
- A limitation on transmissions (gear ratios, number of gearboxes) in order to decrease costs
- The overall weight of the car must be no less than 660kg
In consultation with the main stakeholders, and following the outcome of this consultation, a fax vote by the WMSC could be considered by 30 June latest to redefine the implementation date of these technical regulations.

Link

Might sounds silly, but why limit the gasoline pressure injection?!?

To be green/to save money. That seems to be the answer to any kind of shithead changes they come up with.

Why not just give all the drivers a copy of Codemaster's F1 and have the championship decided in a tournament? Or isn't that environmentally friendly enough? :rolleyes:

yea, its getting to the point that anytime i see something trying to "go green" it makes me want to shoot a prius. It kills me that just a few years ago we were at 20,000 rpm and now here we are possibly going to 12000. By 2020 we will be watching electric cars in F1 (when i say "we will be watching" i mean you cuz i wont watch that shit, lol)

Might sounds silly, but why limit the gasoline pressure injection?!?

it's increased. atm it's limited to 100bar, so going to 500 isn't a bad thing!

500 bar...you realise how much that is? wouldn't want to inflate my tyres to that pressure :eek:
(anyone know how high does the hydraulic pressure on a bulldozer or sth goes?)

and can anyone explain what the benefit of this is? i don't realy what's the gain with increasing the fuelpressure. it only has to travel 5cm, 10 bar would manage that nicely (and it gets sucked in by the momevement of the piston anyways). and not like it's a type of precompression. the moment the fuel leaves the nozzle, it's at normal pressure again...

Last edited:
and can anyone explain what the benefit of this is? i don't realy what's the gain with increasing the fuelpressure. it only has to travel 5cm, 10 bar would manage that nicely (and it gets sucked in by the momevement of the piston anyways). and not like it's a type of precompression. the moment the fuel leaves the nozzle, it's at normal pressure again...
Improved atomization of the fuel for more efficient burn.

If anyone hasn't guessed the engine going in the C-X75 is basically a production variant of the next F1 engine from Cosworth.

I love the hypocrisy of the FIA when it comes to making the motorsport green:

fuel usage = bad
tires that last 8 laps = good

can anyone explain this logic to me?

yea, its getting to the point that anytime i see something trying to "go green" it makes me want to shoot a prius. It kills me that just a few years ago we were at 20,000 rpm and now here we are possibly going to 12000. By 2020 we will be watching electric cars in F1 (when i say "we will be watching" i mean you cuz i wont watch that shit, lol)

If it ever gets to that point, I wouldn't be surprised if FOTA packed their bags and started their own series.

Last edited:
Has it ever actually been stated that these new engines are being done "to be green". I understood they were aimed at being more relevant to the real world.

Yes it has been. Lots of statements begin like this:

-F1 poised to become enviromentally sustainable with 1.6 4 cylinder shitcans.
-New engines ensure clean way to becoming greener.
-Gas guzzling 2.4 V8s giving way to eco 1.6 4 pots
-Trolololololololotralalalalalla

You know...the usual garbage.

Can you tell that I'm raging here...cuz I am...big time.

it's increased. atm it's limited to 100bar, so going to 500 isn't a bad thing!

500 bar...you realise how much that is? wouldn't want to inflate my tyres to that pressure :eek:
(anyone know how high does the hydraulic pressure on a bulldozer or sth goes?)

yeah its high, but you can go buy a diesel car today with a 2000bar injector....

then again thats diesel, I dont think I would want to pump petrol to that pressure. Think I will go find out what the issues are, but I guess petrol simply doesnt need those super high pressures to atomize nicely like diesel does.

Has it ever actually been stated that these new engines are being done "to be green". I understood they were aimed at being more relevant to the real world.

well yes, but if wanna get some kind of a tin foil hat tenuous link from that, you could say that , all car makers are going for downsized turbo four bangers to appear more green, use less fuel, make less CO2, save trees, bunnies and wood lice. Therefore if F1 is also downsizing to become more like the real world then they too are trying to be green.

Though of course its silly, getting motorsports to cut down on emissions and consumption. Its like throwing a deck chair off the titanic.

Yes it has been. Lots of statements begin like this:

-F1 poised to become enviromentally sustainable with 1.6 4 cylinder shitcans.
-New engines ensure clean way to becoming greener.
-Gas guzzling 2.4 V8s giving way to eco 1.6 4 pots
-Trolololololololotralalalalalla

You know...the usual garbage.

Can you tell that I'm raging here...cuz I am...big time.

Have you got any sources, as in actual official FIA press releases. I can't remember seeing any.

its a fact, its to go green. They seem to think that 24 cars racing for a few hours each for about 18 weekends a year are killing the Emperer Ottawa Sperm Whale Headed canadian-mexican-american-asian flying albatross or some shit. What kills me is that some modern supercars (enzo, SLR, SLS ect...) are based on these things, what will that do to them?

You people bitch a lot. The current engine regulations are boring and frankly garbage, we're stuck with engines that should much better than what they are now. It's not going to take long before these engines are producing more power than the current engines, and before we complain about noise, listen to the turbos from the 80s, they are far from quiet and the new engines will be revving higher. The addition of the turbos will make the design of the car more of a challenge as well, teams will have to find a way to package all the plumbing compactly so as to not hinder flow to the diffuser.

Last edited:
You people bitch a lot. The current engine regulations are boring and frankly garbage, we're stuck with engines that should much better than what they are now. It's not going to take long before these engines are producing more power than the current engines, and before we complain about noise, listen to the turbos from the 80s, they are far from quiet and the new engines will be revving higher. The addition of the turbos will make the design of the car more of a challenge as well, teams will have to find a way to package all the plumbing compactly so as to not hinder flow to the diffuser.

I DONT LYKE CHANGE

its a fact, its to go green. They seem to think that 24 cars racing for a few hours each for about 18 weekends a year are killing the Emperer Ottawa Sperm Whale Headed canadian-mexican-american-asian flying albatross or some shit. What kills me is that some modern supercars (enzo, SLR, SLS ect...) are based on these things, what will that do to them?

lol, that's the least of my worries, what will happen with fancy supercars bought by superficial assholes.