2013 Formula 1 Season Thread

You people realise that you can idolize someone while at the same time forge your own identify, right?

Well Schumacher did it and I'd say he built a helluva legacy forhimself, but I cannot remember him ever emulating Senna. In fact I quite vividly remember him breaking down in tears when he was told that he had equalled Sennas record number of pole positions. Lewis does it again, he idolizes Senna but doesn't try to emulate him. Unfortunately we have a couple of people in here for which such sentiment makes too much sense. This whole fiasco started out by jsausley theorizing that Lewis could go back to Macca with which several guys disagreed.
In comes mpicco and declares that it'll actuall hurt him that McLaren will become McLaren-Honda again (post #445) and even more if the car was to be painted red/white. :lol::lol: Well, it was fun while it lasted. at least had something to kill the time on an otherwise dull morning shift :D

Last edited:
Did I just set off something here? I'm no Hamilton fan, but certainly respect the fact that he's still a fast driver and is more or less inspired by Ayrton. So imagine, the paddock's biggest Senna fan is probably a little miffed that come 2015, he could follow his hero in representing McLaren-Honda.

I don't know about the biggest, but certainly the most outspoken about it. I don't know, I still don't see it. If the guy is trying to create his own legacy and museum why emulate someone that's already done it before? I think winning multiple titles in a silver-arrows inspired Mercedes is far more interesting, especially since it's Mercedes' first official return to F1 in over 60 years. Write your own history, don't copy what someone else did.

You hate Williams cos they took in some young drivers with good sponsors when they needed the money? Honestly Maldonado created all sorts of havok, while Senna was consistent at the very least... I don't get what they did so wrong.

Regarding the HAM returning to McLaren: I think we can't rule out it happening. Not because of Senna idolizing, but because F1 is a business and a very fast-moving one at that. HAM is a young driver and has quite a few years in F1 ahead of him. During this time, Mercedes may pull out, Honda may build the engine of the century, a new McLaren title sponsor may hand over a boatload of money to get HAM back - or nothing of this may happen.

But what's for sure is that in a high-stakes business like F1, personal animosity and a disagreement with team polity won't matter much when there are races to win and/or money to make.

You hate Williams cos they took in some young drivers with good sponsors when they needed the money? Honestly Maldonado created all sorts of havok, while Senna was consistent at the very least... I don't get what they did so wrong.

Uhm... Senna died in a Williams. It's not that hard to understand.

Uhm... Senna died in a Williams. It's not that hard to understand.

Did the Williams mechanics undo bolts on his car on purpose? Senna believed in Williams being the best car and that's why he joined them, just before they banned every technology which made Williams the best car. The same season he died, another fellow pilot died, and so many got seriously injured. While there are people who argue that a broken steering column might have been the one to blame, it was the rule changes which killed him.

It seems that you take it as an insult to his memory, and I view it as a tribute to it.

[video=youtube;123V1u-4HRs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=123V1u-4HRs[/video]

McLaren need to get their management issues sorted before Hamilton will even consider going back. Something is wrong there right now.

This is the lowest point of this year. Everyone has had the same tyres and just because the scumbags at Red Bull couldn't accept losing fair and square they had to manipulate the FIA and Pirelli into changing the tyres to suit their own car. Bloody scum.

The FIA did rule that Pirelli will NOT be allowed to make performance changes to the tire (at least in theory), the only changes that they'll be allowed to do would be to stop the delaminations that we saw on Massa and Hamilton in Bahrain and di Resta in Spain.

EDIT: Here's the news story from a week ago: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/107487

Last edited:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/107671

Just emerged in the paddock at Monaco, Merc ran a "secret" three-day test at Barcelona for Pirelli after the race last week. Test was done at Pirelli's request, it seems that "Pirelli can call upon one outfit for a private test to help it with products if circumstances dictate."

Other teams are unhappy with all this, they should probably be more angry with Pirelli than with Mercedes on this one. If you want to do a tire test to help with "the product", for heaven's sake do it with all teams, not a "secret" test with a single team.

Last edited: