2013 Formula 1 Season Thread

If i'm not mistaken, Alonso has been picked up by vettel last or 2 seasons ago. And vice verca maybe.

They didn't get the reprimands for the lift itself. Webber was reprimanded for running onto the track with cars still running on it and Alonso for stopping on the track without good reason. Both happened right hafter the exit of a blind corner (turn 7), which is why both Mercs almost cluttered into them.

No he doesn't. Santander has already stated that they're staying with Ferrari, even if Alonso leaves. In fact Alonso would probably lose Santanders sponsorship for his cycling team, if he left, which sort of locks him in his Ferrari contract, according to TJ13's sources, which are usually quite reliable, considering that he knew of the Kimi transfer at least two weeks before anyone else reported it.

http://img849.imageshack.**/img849/1796/v2im.jpg

:think:

Hmmm... I always pretend they're booing at the other drivers, who are simply uncapable of putting up a fight...

Hmmm... I always pretend they're booing at the other drivers, who are simply uncapable of putting up a fight...

Give Hamilton, Alonso, Kimi or even Rosberg a RB and Vettel would probably become the new Massa :mrgreen:

Give Hamilton, Alonso, Kimi or even Rosberg a RB and Vettel would probably become the new Massa :mrgreen:

Not neccessarily. It depends if they could adapt to the counter-intuitive style neccessary to drive the Newey cars.

Not neccessarily. It depends if they could adapt to the counter-intuitive style neccessary to drive the Newey cars.

Counter intuitive style? What are you smoking. It's a car that simply has more downforce then all the others. Vettel is simply that much better than Mark at getting the most out of it. All he has is huge confidence in himself and the car. Hamilton I'm sure would be able to be just as quick if not quicker.

Counter intuitive style? What are you smoking. It's a car that simply has more downforce then all the others. Vettel is simply that much better than Mark at getting the most out of it. All he has is huge confidence in himself and the car. Hamilton I'm sure would be able to be just as quick if not quicker.

It "counter intuitive" part he was talking about is in reference to the article that was linked which in turn is referencing the way the blown diffuser is designed and how you sometimes have to give it some throttle. They guy who wrote the article references the difference in pace between Vettel and Webber as the former being able to adapt well to that style of driving and the latter having a hard time with it. Taking it further, he implied that since Vettel is the favored driver in the team (even though no one will admit it openly), and since he took well to that style of driving and it working (and Adrian Newey liking it too), the car was built more and more for Vettel's style and less and less for Webber's.

It is no surprise that they have different styles and if you can't say anything else about it, its clear that the car works much better for Vettel then it does for Webber and that difference has only gotten larger. It is definitely a valid point and it will be interesting to see what comes out of Webber once all his Red Bull contracts are over and he can talk about it more freely.

I also think there are other adaptable drivers that could be doing equally well with the RB car, Alonso and Hamilton being the most obvious. They have both taken cars to victories that no one was expecting countless times, so its clear they can take a challenging car and make it work.

In reference to that article as well, it seems like Vettel has lost most of the Humour and sparkle he had a few years ago. They talk about him making Di Resta look like a wood plank on stage or something, but I've noticed that he doesn't kid around with the reporters anymore and even on good days tends to have more serious look on his face. The only time you really see it is after a Pole Position or race win when he is getting out of the car (though often covered up by his stupid finger). It seems like ever since the "Multi 21" incident that he got all serious and cranky. Even his little thank you talks to the team on the radio seem repetitive and rehearsed. I never minded him winning a few years ago, but anymore it goes beyond wanting some variety and more towards outright dislike of the dude and how he carries himself and interacts with people, which sucks since he was WAY different not too long ago.

In reference to that article as well, it seems like Vettel has lost most of the Humour and sparkle he had a few years ago. They talk about him making Di Resta look like a wood plank on stage or something, but I've noticed that he doesn't kid around with the reporters anymore and even on good days tends to have more serious look on his face. The only time you really see it is after a Pole Position or race win when he is getting out of the car (though often covered up by his stupid finger). It seems like ever since the "Multi 21" incident that he got all serious and cranky. Even his little thank you talks to the team on the radio seem repetitive and rehearsed. I never minded him winning a few years ago, but anymore it goes beyond wanting some variety and more towards outright dislike of the dude and how he carries himself and interacts with people, which sucks since he was WAY different not too long ago.

The scene in which Vettel made DiResta look pale is actually from this year's Silverstone GP way after Malaysia, so I don't think he's lost his sense of humour. And he jokes just as much in interviews as always before. People use Multi21 and his alleged arrogance as lame excuses to hide that their petty jealousy and hatred is just down to him winning too much. I always laugh my arse off when people say Vettel is arrogant and then out themselves as Alonso fans, who has arguably the most rotten character since Nelson Piquet. The whole Vettel hatred is mainly down to a very simple thing. The media, the British media in particular, have been painting him in a negative light since he started beating their golden boy on a regular basis. The same goes for the Spanish media, who don't take kindly to their poster boy being beaten for the third time by another German serial winner.
They made huge waves back in the day about Alonso ending the Schumacher dominance and soon after comes another German and empties the fridge. Ever since then the likes of As have been publishing a lot of almost slanderous stuff.
That's part of the game. Provided that Vettel isn't miraculously beaten this year, 11 of the last 20 world titles were bagged by just two Germans. That leaves a lot of nations with a lot of tradition and a weird sense of entitlement frothing at the mouth about lack of world titles.
That people keep harping on about the finger shows to which ridiculous excuses people will stoop just to rationalize a hatred that is basically just petty jealousy, because their favourite driver didn't win.

Last edited:
The scene in which Vettel made DiResta look pale is actually from this year's Silverstone GP, so I don't think he's lost his sense of humour.

Maybe not in that kind of setting, but he certainly has in most the race paddock interviews I've seen with him lately.

Maybe not in that kind of setting, but he certainly has in most the race paddock interviews I've seen with him lately.

As I've written. The British press in particular has been portraying him in rather negative light since his 2011 dominance. Why should he go out of his way to accomodate them? His German language interviews are just as hillarious as they've ever been. He didn't change a single bit in that regard since he was in Formula-BMW, when I had the pleasure to meet him twice. He is probably the most approachable of all the F1 drivers. He regularly takes part in events that are not on the Red Bull PR agenda, but rather organized by fans. That's something you can't say about every driver and it certainly doesn't match the MO of an arrogant and self-centred man.

As I've written. The British press in particular has been portraying him in rather negative light since his 2011 dominance. Why should he go out of his way to accomodate them? His German language interviews are just as hillarious as they've ever been. He didn't change a single bit in that regard since he was in Formula-BMW, when I had the pleasure to meet him twice. He is probably the most approachable of all the F1 drivers. He regularly takes part in events that are not on the Red Bull PR agenda, but rather organized by fans. That's something you can't say about every driver and it certainly doesn't match the MO of an arrogant and self-centred man.

Fair enough. I watch the BBC coverage and occasionally the Sky coverage if its a "highlights only" race for the BBC and I want to see more in depth coverage, so I guess I'm only seeing one perspective. That said, there are plenty of F1 drivers who go above and beyond for fans and stuff outside F1. Most of them are trying to promote F1 in their respective country, so it is no surprise to me that you see more of what Vettel does in your area compared to Perez or Button or Webber in theirs (just to name a few who I have heard of going above and beyond fairly often).

- - - Updated - - -

Fair enough. I watch the BBC coverage and occasionally the Sky coverage if its a "highlights only" race for the BBC and I want to see more in depth coverage, so I guess I'm only seeing one perspective.

That said, there are plenty of F1 drivers who go above and beyond for fans and stuff outside F1. Most of them are trying to promote F1 in their respective country, so it is no surprise to me that you see more of what Vettel does in your area compared to Perez or Button or Webber in theirs (just to name a few who I have heard of going above and beyond fairly often).

I highly doubt Felipe would go to Sauber, he has repeatedly stated that he would only go to a team who can provide a competitive car and it looks as though that team is Lotus.

hulkenberg probably will go to lotus... (i hope)

and apparently Barrichello collected over $10m to buy himself a seat for the 2014 championship!!!

It would make sense to bring back Barrichello. Sauber will be forced to run Sirotkin next year and the kid is so green behind the ears, he needs mowing. What better way to help him than giving him a team mate, who has the experience of 300 GPs and brings 10 Million bucks on top of it. Also, Barrichello might not be a winner anymore, but he's reliable. That in itself can mean more points, especially if Hulk leaves. With Kimi's back pain stil jeopardizing his start, I could even imagine that Kimi sits out the end of the season to get his bones back in order, Hulk taking over the Lotus and Rubinho is drafted in to finish the season for Sauber. Hulk can leave Sauber at a moment's notice, since his contract was terminated already mid-season due to Sauber's failure to pay his salary.

All of these got me wondering: Do FIA Superlicenses have any expiry?