2014 Australian Grand Prix

Oh I'm sorry for your inconvenience and the fact that I still have to pay more than a thousand dollars to get to ANY grand prix, but I'm sick and tired of stupid make-believe "circuits" slapped on some quite boring street layouts (New Jersey is not Monaco). COTA produced decent racing so far. So screw New York and anyone who suggested it (and add Sochi and Yas Marina to the list).

Last edited:
It is. Bahrain and Abu Dhabi can be taken care of on the way to or from Asia, Austin (and Sao Paolo) are fairly isolated on the globe of F1 tracks.

They could always schedule Montreal, Austin, and Sao Paolo in succession.

Yeah, that was part of my reduced-travel-plan a few pages ago (or was that in another F1 thread? :dunno:)... but in reality you'll have a hard time finding a season that works for Canada, Texas, and Brazil.

Besides a current lack of lighting, is there anything keeping CotA from being run as a night race to alleviate to of the heat? :hmm:

Yeah, it's called Europe. If you have a race in Austin at 2pm local time it's 7pm in the UK, perfect TV time. If you move that forward by 10 hours to midnight it'll be wee hours Monday morning over here... you could do a race in the wee hours local time on Sunday, sorta pistols racecars at dawn...

It is. Bahrain and Abu Dhabi can be taken care of on the way to or from Asia, Austin (and Sao Paolo) are fairly isolated on the globe of F1 tracks.

I thought as you responded to someone talking about it as a "stove" that you were referring to the climate conditions, not it being "out of the way".
If it was about temperature, then Austin can't be much worse than other tracks. If it's about distance, it's not like New York is all that closer to everything else in the calendar, either.

If it's about distance, it's not like New York is all that closer to everything else in the calendar, either.

NYC is closer to Montreal in two ways. In actual distance... but more importantly in terms of climate. You can do back-to-back races in Montreal and NYC with one trip across the pond in northern hemisphere summer without melting in Texas or freezing in Canada.

NYC is closer to Montreal in two ways. In actual distance... but more importantly in terms of climate. You can do back-to-back races in Montreal and NYC with one trip across the pond in northern hemisphere summer without melting in Texas or freezing in Canada.

That's what made Indy so great

You're joking right? Indy is a dump of a race course.

Wasn't he talking about the location and climate, not the layout?

Though they've changed the Indy road course layout for this year to remove the Micky Mouse slow corners, which were its biggest problem, so we'll see what that does for it in May's Indy Grand Prix.

Though they've changed the Indy road course layout for this year to remove the Micky Mouse slow corners, which were its biggest problem, so we'll see what that does for it in May's Indy Grand Prix.

They've removed the infield slow corners, but they'll be using the MotoGP turn 1-2 section instead of the oval turn 1 (in reverse).

Wasn't he talking about the location and climate, not the layout?

Climate is ok. Location is terrible. It's in the middle of the ghetto of Indianapolis and the facilities are ancient. I was amazed at how poor the facilities were when I went to see a MotoGP race there (compared to Long Beach GP, Nurburgring, Laguna Seca, and Sonoma). Also the spectators were mostly drunk rednecks.

Climate is ok. Location is terrible. It's in the middle of the ghetto of Indianapolis and the facilities are ancient. I was amazed at how poor the facilities were when I went to see a MotoGP race there (compared to Long Beach GP, Nurburgring, Laguna Seca, and Sonoma). Also the spectators were mostly drunk rednecks.

I'm with Cellos on this, Indy was a shithole when I was there in 2006, and it has gotten worse from what I've heard. About the ONLY positive is the fact hat I live in Indiana, so my pistol carry permit is good there, so at least have hoodrat/redneck protection.