2014 Australian Grand Prix

The F1 turbo has to get a 1.6 V6 to around 550-600hp. The WRC turbo has 2 liters to make, what... 300?

All that said, everyone is saying its quiet because of the Turbo and I don't quite understand how that can be. Sure, I can see it muffling things a bit, but if you look at other motorsports where small engines with Turbo's are used like the World Rally Championship, those vehicles are pretty damn loud and can be heard miles away. So either there is something else going on to keep them as quiet as they are, or the Broadcast teams are just doing a horrible job with capturing the audio (or both). I'm still willing to give them some time to figure it out, but do hope that it will be remedied relatively soon.
Big ass turbo...sucks all the noisy exhaust gas which would normally contribute. In comparison, WRC turbo is small and the engine has more displacement. Also, only one central exhaust pipe.

The F1 turbo has to get a 1.6 V6 to around 550-600hp. The WRC turbo has 2 liters to make, what... 300?

.4 liters isn't really gonna make a difference sound wise. Plus, there are lower displacement turbo engines making about the same power or more, using a single exhaust and they are deafening....

Hayabusa Turbo

I'm just saying... its not just a Turbo that is making it quiet. I actually put it down more to the v6 engine, which is more inherently drone producing then other configurations in my experience.

Last edited:
You know what would make it louder? if the exhaust radius increased towards the exit but I'm not sure of that would be within the regulations.

You know what would make it louder? if the exhaust radius increased towards the exit but I'm not sure of that would be within the regulations.

No idea about regulations or whether a "trumpet" on the end of the exhaust would make things illegal, but I'm sure there are things the teams could do to make the cars louder.

It is quiet. People at trackside reported it so, it's not the mixing on the TV.

It isn't quiet...its just not as loud as it was. I'm not disputing that the new cars are significantly quieter and that for some that is taking away from being a live spectator.

I said it in another thread, but if they are using a setup that worked well for the deafening sound level that the cars of the last decade put out, its not going to work for these much quieter cars. There are so many different avenues they could take to capture the more nuanced sound of these new cars better. Even just putting on a set of nice headphones and cranking the sound up helps if you need it to be loud.

So yes, using different audio capture techniques and adjusting the mix of the TV broadcast could very well make up for a lot of the complaints people are having. As someone who values his ears and hearing, I wouldn't necessarily mind a quieter race where ear muffs aren't required equipment either.

Last edited:
I'm just saying... its not just a Turbo that is making it quiet. I actually put it down more to the v6 engine, which is more inherently drone producing then other configurations in my experience.

I didn't try to emphasise the size difference but what kind of power the car needs to produce. Almost double the amount on what you now call "just .4 of a litre". Get it then why it's so muffled? Everything apart from the spectators and other cars gets sucked into the turbo. Big bitch.

And if you payed attention, I've stated elsewhere that a V6 can sound gloriously.

^ Isn't that Alfa normally aspirated?

Trying to make a point that the engine configuration is not to blame, it's the crap that it's burdened with. :) That it is indeed the turbo that eats every ounce of V6 goodness.

It isn't quiet...its just not as loud as it was. I'm not disputing that the new cars are significantly quieter and that for some that is taking away from being a live spectator.

I said it in another thread, but if they are using a setup that worked well for the deafening sound level that the cars of the last decade put out, its not going to work for these much quieter cars. There are so many different avenues they could take to capture the more nuanced sound of these new cars better. Even just putting on a set of nice headphones and cranking the sound up helps if you need it to be loud.

So yes, using different audio capture techniques and adjusting the mix of the TV broadcast could very well make up for a lot of the complaints people are having. As someone who values his ears and hearing, I wouldn't necessarily mind a quieter race where ear muffs aren't required equipment either.

My friend, they had 3 pre-season testing sessions, friday, saturday, all that time to make the "setup changes" to the audio. These guys are professionals and it's a live television show, they can react in seconds.

On something unrelated, someone (Oleg Konin) painted this "If only"...

Senna%20kisz%C3%A1ll.jpg

Makes me wanna weep.

Trying to make a point that the engine configuration is not to blame, it's the crap that it's burdened with. :) That it is indeed the turbo that eats every ounce of V6 goodness.

Should refuelling be re-introduced to F1? Surely it could help the teams to run engines on higher rpm?s = better sound.

They aren't using the rev range, true. Max I've seen was 12k rpm? But ofcourse, refuelling goes against every grain of the retarded rulemakers stupid pushing for green and eco and sustainable. Vomit inducing claptrap.

I think they could solve a lot and be more green and eco just by introducing a higher biofuel requirement, I think it's something like 5 - 8% at the moment, if they put it up to say 85% then they could get rid of this fuel flow stuff and let them carry a little bit more fuel to run higher revs.

If you just stop foaming out of your mouth for a second you could maybe see the rules as an engineering challenge. It's retardedly simple to extract more power out of an ICE by increasing fuel flow and increase revs (adding turbos usually goes hand in hand with a dramatic increase in fuel consumption, as well). That might have been a challenge twenty years ago, but given today's materials and manufacturing techniques a "pinnacle of motorsports" without a limit on fuel consumption would be a little daft. Limiting fuel flow does not only mean greenwashing, but mostly that you can only improve performance by increasing engine efficiency: Extract as much power as possible from every last drop of petrol! That's a challenge right there, one that both Merc and Ferrari seem to have mastered better than Renault.

Because they were so frequent, eh. Another F1 problem...everything is so scary, omg.

I don't want to see fireballs in the pitlane :no:

Hey, this isnt Nascar we are talking about, where they spill fuel everytime on re-fueling. :D

I think refueling adds another element to other forms of racing. Sometimes they gamble on fuel and lose. Sometimes it adds suspense. In F1 it seems like they never really can run out, but they can come in under the limit and be penalized after the fact, which doesn't really add any excitement. If the fuel tanks on the cars could be any size, teams could use different strategies during the races, like keeping as little fuel in the tanks to get them to their next pit stop and be faster around the track, or just fill it to the brim once and never worry about it again and save time during pit stops, etc.

Of course I'm sure they'd find out the best strategy and everyone would just do that, so it probably doesn't matter.

I think refueling adds another element to other forms of racing. Sometimes they gamble on fuel and lose. Sometimes it adds suspense. In F1 it seems like they never really can run out, but they can come in under the limit and be penalized after the fact, which doesn't really add any excitement.
Not true. One of the main complaints of the "OMG F1 is ruined!!!11!!!oneeleven!!!"-crowd is that in order to stay within fuel limits, F1 drivers don't go flat out for the whole race, but have to dial down engine modes now and then in order to make it to the finish line. The only "under the limit" penalty is if you make it to the finish line without the mandatory 1 liter sample for analysis left in the tank. The fact that it's been some time since the last driver actually ran out of petrol only shows how good the teams are at managing their fuel strategys.
I like this kind of strategy games, but then again, I am not a true fan, obviously.

Last edited:
Not true. One of the main complaints of the "OMG F1 is ruined!!!11!!!oneeleven!!!"-crowd is that in order to stay within fuel limits, F1 drivers don't go flat out for the whole race, but have to dial down engine modes now and then in order to make it to the finish line. I like this kind of strategy games, but then again, I am not a true fan, obviously.

But if they were to run smaller amounts of fuel, the car would be lighter and faster, while using less fuel, no? Lugging around a whole race's worth of fuel can't be good for efficiency either.