2014 BMW 4 Series Coupe officially debuts, priced from $41,425

No. Or do you calculate tax into that? Because:

2014 435i Coupe MSRP: $46,925 (D&H included)

Yes, but you know there will be a few necessary options, like an upgraded stereo or adjustable suspension or a sport differential. It will end up being $50k before taxes by the time it's specced out properly.

So a fully optioned top of the range non M 4-series is over 80000?. That's pretty shocking.

And it looks pretty boring, if a little less than the previous gen coupe.
For the sake of (unfair) comparison, that's about ?10000 below the pricing where a Porsche 991 Carrera starts...

Yes, but you know there will be a few necessary options, like an upgraded stereo or adjustable suspension or a sport differential. It will end up being $50k before taxes by the time it's specced out properly.

$43,425 vs. $50,900 though. You're adding nearly $7500 for what is currently $3750 of kit (premium stereo + M package).

Why bother coming into a BMW thread when you (and we) know you don't like the brand?

It's like you exist just to stir up shit.

Stirring up shit is how I make my living.

And BMWs are still Evil.

Let's not forget that the F30 is almost as big as an E39 these days, so view it as a truer interpretation of what size a modernised E24 6 series should be. Not that massive fucking boat anchor that accidentally has that badge on the back of it...

First thing I'd do if I got a 435i - rebadge it a 335i. This whole sedan = odd, coupe = even stuff is just fucking stupid.

Is this actually dimensionally smaller than a 335 or is it just a stupid naming convention? I was hoping it'd be smaller - if it's the same size, then you really might as well buy the S5.

Is this actually dimensionally smaller than a 335 or is it just a stupid naming convention? I was hoping it'd be smaller - if it's the same size, then you really might as well buy the S5.
Who wants an old Audi?

Why would it be smaller having a higher number? Did you ever check how the BMW range works? :blink: And being newer its also larger than its predececessor.

First thing I'd do if I got a 435i - rebadge it a 335i. This whole sedan = odd, coupe = even stuff is just fucking stupid.

Why? BMW is just following Audi by using up all the numbers from 1-7/8. What else would a 4-series be anyway (they already have the 6-series which is a 5-series coupe, the 2-series coming out is gonna be a 1-series coupe, and they already had the 8-series years ago, but if they make a new one, it will be a 7-series coupe)?

Why? BMW is just following Audi by using up all the numbers from 1-7/8. What else would a 4-series be anyway (they already have the 6-series which is a 5-series coupe, the 2-series coming out is gonna be a 1-series coupe, and they already had the 8-series years ago, but if they make a new one, it will be a 7-series coupe)?

This!

+rep

Yeah, I'm surprised at how hard it is for people to wrap their head around the new naming order. When the E92 was coming around the German magazines where pretty sure it was going to be named the 4-series, so it's been coming with the for at least 5 years.

I completely understand the name-change. And even though I would have made the same decision in BMW's place, I personally liked the historical significance of the 3-series coupe.
That said, this new F32 doesn't do it for me. E46 > E92 > F32 if you ask me. Perhaps I need to see it in person first? Or maybe the M4 (see, that doesn't work) will sway me over.
I'm more looking forward to the upcoming 2-series, more specifically the M235i.

Perhaps I need to see it in person first?

I'm sure it will look great in person. The first batch of press shots aren't doing the car justice IMO, the angles of the shots make the nose look too big.

I found some better pictures over at Autocar.

wvnnEbk.jpg

0r8SyPw.jpg

r9mwgls.jpg

Y8Y3anq.jpg

The last two pictures show the general F3x-problem. It has a fairly low/slim front but a very high hood, due to ped-safety-crap. Depending on colors, background and the angle you look at it, that can look quite unfortunate, like it has a big hunch/hump on the front. They managed to hide that in most F30 press-shots. The last two pictures illustrate that visual effect very nicely. While the red/white-grey contrast line with a hard shadow on the hood is quite hard and accentuates the hunch, the fairly all-grey with sky-reflections on the second picture make the color "fade out" into the background, disguising the hunch and making it look way lower and more sporty around the front.

That is the exact reason why I think that the F20 looks better IRL than on pictures, and the F30 vice versa.

There are better cars for 40-something grand...Unless you want a 2 door 3 series

Why would it be smaller having a higher number? Did you ever check how the BMW range works? :blink: And being newer its also larger than its predececessor.

Sorry, I thought I read the 4-series was intended to appeal to markets that thought the 3-series had gotten too bulky.

If it's larger than the current E92 3-series coupe, I'm definitely no longer interested. That car is already MASSIVE.

Last edited: