2014 Canadian Grand Prix

Reports on Twitter say that Massa pulled 27g in the crash....

:blink:

Big difference in survivability between instantaneous and sustained g. For example, Kenny Brack's -214g crash.

Still not exactly pleasant...

Well dang what a race. Started with an accident and a safety car and ended with one too.

Bittersweet to see someone other than Mercedes winning. Sweet cos it wasnt Mercedes, bitter cos a) it was down to random chance, b) it was a Red Bull...

Also, as a Ferrari fan, this is how I felt at the beginning with Alonso behind Vergne...

tgauSoD.png

Last edited:
Big difference in survivability between instantaneous and sustained g. For example, Kenny Brack's -214g crash.

Still not exactly pleasant...

True, I didn't think about that. But still. If it had been me, I'd still be in the car clutching the wheel screaming for my mom! :lol:

Also, as a Ferrari fan, this is how I felt at the beginning with Alonso behind Vergne...

tgauSoD.png

Coraggio, the team is certainly at one of its darkest periods, but that will change. If it wasn't for Williams, I wouldn't know who else to root for. Ricciardo is becoming a favorite, sucks he's on my least favorite team.

I'm always impressed that the drivers actually pull their arms away from the wheel rather than death-gripping it like most people.

Alonso is going to have to get a much better result at Red Bull ring, he's lost his 3rd place in the championship to Riccardo by 10 points. Maybe Ferrari should think about "going radical" like McLaren are planning to do.

The words "radical" and "extreme" are more often than not just hot air in F1, imo.

Maybe Ferrari should think about "going radical" like McLaren are planning to do.

That was the idea for this weekend with their "very aggressive" engine mapping BS.

Well dang what a race. Started with an accident and a safety car and ended with one too.

Bittersweet to see someone other than Mercedes winning. Sweet cos it wasnt Mercedes, bitter cos a) it was down to random chance, b) it was a Red Bull...

tgauSoD.png

Who would have thought that a couple of years ago :lol:

So... Mercedes can be beaten - but only when the roughly 160 HP of the hybrid system and the additional braking power to the rear axle are missing... Hmmm...

Still, congratulations to Daniel, he did a great race and is a deserving winner.

It's interesting, though, that both Hamilton and Rosberg faced the same technical problem at almost exactly the same time - but Rosberg managed to keep 2nd place at least, while Hamilton shredded his brakes and had to retire. I guess it has to do with the more aggressive driving style of Lewis. For the record: Niki Lauda said the electronic for the hybrid system overheated and automatically switched it off, leaving both Mercedes drivers with just the petrol engine. The system could not be restarted and since Montreal is known to be a brake-killiing curcuit and the additional braking power of the electric motor was gone, it was a real miracle Rosberg still ended on 2nd. Or maybe just great driving skills, who knows? ;)

Hamilton preferring rear-brake bias, he was pushing harder trying to overtake, and he was right in Nico's gearbox, so potentially less cooling. Nico was about to have trouble as well, his luck that Hamiltons failed first :)

That the Mercedes can be lacking 160bhp and have compromised braking, and still be relatively competitive.. Is pretty insane.

I'm always impressed that the drivers actually pull their arms away from the wheel rather than death-gripping it like most people.

This is one of the reasons that takes me to believe Massa was just panicking at the prospect of winning at the closing stages... he didn't release the wheel, Perez was like automatic on it, Massa kept his hands on.

You can see it here, he even tries to steer into the skid like he can save it, instead of realizing the whole "Im just a passenger now"

** Edit

It was Perez getting the penalty for it after all.
Stewards determined he changed his racing line.

Penalty for Chilton too but we knew about that one.

Last edited:
Watching Vettel's onboard during the last few seconds of the video, did he actually react to massa's careening wreckage? Must've been a one way ticket to brown town seeing a sideways car rapidly filling your mirrors.....

that was an awesome race, i was so cheering for ricciardo, and hoping rossberg would fail as well! (while i'm pro merc, but ham should win the title! :lol:)

during the race the commentators said that merc is running smaller discs than the competition.
why? if you don't need that strong brakes, make them narrower, or with bigger cooling holes or sth, but why reduce the diameter? the bigger the contactpatch between the disc and the pads, the better, the more feel you'll have, and the harder you'll be able to break without locking up. i don't understand...

and i can't believe rosberg was able to keep up so well without them having changed to the engine: increase fuel, increase boost, increase rpm, ...
so now rosberg's engine probably has had to work a lot harder than obviously hamilton's, but also as planned!
anyone knows what engine rosberg is on? how many races it already had run? will we see him with trouble in one of the future races?
i hope :D

Bird in the hand, etc.

Better to run the race and finish second at a risk of a later failure. Also I think you are reading too much into the comment about the brakes. Generally commentators make gross generalizations for the sake of the layman. To us a smaller disc means smaller diameter but it could just as easily be a thinner one, and the commentators didn't feel it necessary to include that minute technical detail.

The last part of this article explains it a bit

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/114357?source=mostpopular

With high ambient temperatures in Montreal and a spike in temperature, the car being stationary at a pitstop appears to have overcome the electronics.Compounding the loss of the ERS-K, there is the impact this has on the brakes.
As the ERS-K harvests its energy, it also creates drag on the rear axle and acts as part of the car's braking system.
Without it, the car therefore loses a proportion of the rear braking effort.
To save weight, teams have downsized the rear brake disc and caliper for 2014. This in turn leaves the rear brakes unable to cope with delivering the entire braking effort alone.
With Montreal being one of the hardest tracks for braking, is not surprising that Hamilton's rear brakes failed soon after the MGU-K problem hit. That said, Paddy Lowe did suggest to Sky TV that the two were not related.
Rosberg adjusted his brake bias and, with a lack of braking effort and the absence of 160hp, still managed to finish second.
His early fuel consumption problems would have been exacerbated by having only the internal combustion engine to power the car for the balance of the race.

so now rosberg's engine probably has had to work a lot harder than obviously hamilton's, but also as planned!
anyone knows what engine rosberg is on? how many races it already had run? will we see him with trouble in one of the future races?
i hope :D

Due to his two DNF's Lewis has gone through more components than Rosberg, so if anything, his awesomeness is going to get a grid penalty sooner than ROS. But he'll be in good company. Considering that Vettel is already using his 5th CE, he'll probably start two laps down by the time of the Brazilian GP.