Unveiled: 2014 Chevrolet Impala

Timbits93

Car(s)
2013 BMW 328i xDrive Sport line
Source: http://www.insideline.com/chevrolet...ter-fuel-economy-2012-new-york-auto-show.html

2014_chevrolet_impala_f34_ns_40312_717.jpg

2014_chevrolet_impala_fint_ns_40312_717.jpg

Just the Facts: ?The 2014 Chevrolet Impala debuts at the 2012 New York Auto Show, with an eye toward improved fuel economy and a less dowdy look.
?Consumers will get three engine choices, ranging from the carryover 3.6-liter V6 to a 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine with the eAssist hybrid system.
?The Impala gets a sleeker, more sculpted look designed to make it more competitive against such affordable full-size cars as the Dodge Charger and Ford Taurus.

NEW YORK ? The 2014 Chevrolet Impala debuts this week at the 2012 New York Auto Show, with an eye toward improved fuel economy and a less dowdy look.

The 2014 Impala comes with three engine choices, including the carryover 3.6-liter V6 and a 182-horsepower Ecotec 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine with the eAssist hybrid system. GM says Impalas with eAssist are expected to achieve 35 mpg on the highway. The 2.4-liter engine delivers 121 hp less than the V6 engine, which churns out 303 hp. The EPA has not yet rated the 2014 Impala. The 2012 Impala with the V6 delivers 18 mpg in city driving and 30 mpg on the highway, according to the EPA.

The Impala joins such GM vehicles as the 2013 Buick Regal in getting the eAssist system.

The 2014 Impala will also be offered with an Ecotec 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine that delivers an estimated 195 hp, said GM. All three of the 2014 Impala's engines are linked to a six-speed automatic transmission.

The redesigned Impala goes on sale in early 2013. Pricing has not been announced. The base 2012 Chevrolet Impala starts at $26,585, including an $825 destination charge.

The Impala gets a sleeker, more sculpted look designed to make it more competitive against such affordable full-size cars as the Dodge Charger and Ford Taurus. The Impala has long been criticized for its forgettable styling and inferior interior.

"Our design team was challenged to create a new classic, but that didn't mean relying on nostalgia," said John Cafaro, GM director of North America passenger car exterior design, in a statement.

The Impala gets a longer, lower look and a range of 18-, 19- and 20-inch wheels. HID headlights and LED daytime running lights are standard on LTZ models. The cabin gets a complete redesign and includes optional Chevrolet MyLink, which bundles Bluetooth audio streaming.

The 10th-generation Impala gets more high-tech options, including lane departure warning, side blind zone alert and adaptive cruise control. It also features 10 standard airbags.

Inside Line says: It's a little hard to imagine a 182-hp Impala ? but undoubtedly some consumers will prefer savings at the pump to power.

:|

Looks nice but it needs a diesel like the new Lincoln. Also it needs to be a Zeta. Is this the final word on that by the way? What's the deal with any more Zeta for the US?

Came here to yawn, was pleasantly surprised. :eek:

Came here to yawn, was pleasantly surprised. :eek:

same here. this could give the Taurus a run for it's money. and i also want to see them attempt an SS version, mating it with a V8 and 6 speed auto.

Front is very Taurus-ey. Perhaps too much Taurus. :hmm:

In the looks department, I'm torn. I suspect color will play a huge role in how good this thing looks, as in dark blues and black.

Hopefully there's a better shot of the interior besides the render.

Looks nice but it needs a diesel like the new Lincoln. Also it needs to be a Zeta. Is this the final word on that by the way? What's the deal with any more Zeta for the US?

This isn't a Zeta, it's Epsilon II based. Supposedly there's a rumor that there could be a flagship sedan not named Impala that will be Zeta based but who knows.

Front wheel drive makes sense for the Impala IMO, buyers in this segment really couldn't give a damn about it anymore.

Last edited:
Fun Fact, the top spec V6 in this has the same rated power as the old SS's 5.3L LS4. 303BHP.

I think the very middle of the grille has a bit of Camaro in it, but it looks to me like a mix of a VW CC and a Taurus. Heard something about a TTV6 in the works, hope that makes it way to market and into this. I see a good bit of LS4 powered Impala SS's around here.

I'd say good job on this one!

Maybe it's just the angle, but the hood length seems out of proportion to the rest of the car. It's too short, so it looks like it's already run head-first into a wall...

Looks like normal sized bonnet to me. But I require real interior pictures to make my mind up.

Interior shots courtesy of TTAC:

The center screen apparently motors up to reveal a storage cubby. That's cool at least.

The styling definetly looks better in dark blue, the silver car isn't nearly as forgiving, due to the random sweepspear.

Looks like they too much inspiration from other makers and they still got it wrong. Looks too disproportionate and fat. The interior while not ugly will likely be your general GM wheelie bin plasticy interior build quality.

And at the end of the day this won't even crack the top five most wanted mid size saloon cars. The Fusion, Legacy, and Maxima are vastly superior. The Charger is the cool one of the bunch. And the Mazda6 is a better all 'rounder.

Until GM makes a proper RWD mid size car to replace this it will always be bland, cheap and boring just like a Camry.

Looks like they too much inspiration from other makers and they still got it wrong. Looks too disproportionate and fat. The interior while not ugly will likely be your general GM wheelie bin plasticy interior build quality.

And at the end of the day this won't even crack the top five most wanted mid size saloon cars. The Fusion, Legacy, and Maxima are vastly superior. The Charger is the cool one of the bunch. And the Mazda6 is a better all 'rounder.

Until GM makes a proper RWD mid size car to replace this it will always be bland, cheap and boring just like a Camry.

I don't think this is playing in the same class as Fusion, Legacy, et all. It's up against Azera, Avalon, Taurus, etc.

Even among that set, competition's about to heat up with a Avalon that looks to be a stunner in the appearance department, especially compared to this.

The interior doesn't look too bad actually, though as noted before, the steering wheel looks pretty much like a flatter Mercedes S-Class wheel.

Even among that set, competition's about to heat up with a Avalon that looks to be a stunner in the appearance department, especially compared to this.

Guess we'll find that out tomorrow morning but if the ES is anything to go by, it would be rounder :p

Don't like beige and the way the buttons on the steering looks but other than that good.