No 56k: 2014 Detroit Auto Show

CrzRsn

So long, and thanks for all the fish
Car(s)
13 Ford Mustang GT, 17 Ford Fiesta ST
Made it up to Detroit over the weekend to visit a friend, drop off my Miata, and go to the Auto Show. Here are some pictures.

First thing we saw when we went in was some sort of parade with Astons and Ferraris and Jaaaaggggs
Iz9KZtV.jpg

zAWWBVI.jpg

Best 2 cars of the show!
jxgiwrx.jpg

BQGdsVU.jpg

EWTxUBl.jpg

nOtjq4v.jpg

The 2015 Mustang looks incredible in person. I was sceptical of the yellow when I saw it online, but it really works for it. Especailly with the black wheels.
uDPvj70.jpg

And the body color diffuser isn't that bad either. I think it has something to do with the black trim around it (the red Mustang doesn't have the black trim). All in all, I everything I thought I wouldn't like, I did. The shift knob is really nice in person, despite looking like a tennis ball in the press shots. I can't wait to take one for a test drive later this year.
isguYMx.jpg

New F150. Its big. Really big.
wWCesdK.jpg

My favorite Lincoln at the show. A 1932 Lincoln KB Dietrich Coupe.
zzx67xE.jpg

The MKC wasn't that bad either, although I'm not sure what they were going with the hipster bike display around it. People in the market for hipster bikes are not buying $35+k crossovers and vice versa.
JVN9TfZ.jpg

Volvo Concep XC Coupe was gorgeous. On the topic of Volvo, I sat in the 2014 XC70, and was very dissapointed. My parents used to own a 2001 V70XC and the new one was more or less the same as the 13 year old one. Very dissapointing, but then again, the XC90 is ancient too so hopefully we'll see a complete revival within a couple years.
PFOiXvQ.jpg

blktAuQ.jpg

Still not sure what kind of technology this is powered by.
GhNGvwM.jpg

Opps.
3CHHYuS.jpg

F-Type coupe is jaw dropping in person. Unfortunately it was locked, so I couldn't sit in it. I did sit in the F-Type roadster. Not thrilled with that interior.
L1jSRhH.jpg

gfGgHCx.jpg

C7 Cutaway.
QarHJav.jpg

TfydurQ.jpg

And Z06.
xhZrEVH.jpg

The spoiler on the Z06 looked like a cheap afterthought.
MyIVLPn.jpg

Scat Pack stage 3 Challenger.
8osRnkQ.jpg

Better Challenger.
kmVfA0K.jpg

Chrysler easily wins best color palette at the show.
4sYay9S.jpg

I don't care what anyone says, I really like the color on this 300S. In person it was almost a primer gray/blue.
Hi0fmv4.jpg

Shaker Challenger.
J7x9qPI.jpg

My favorite production of the show. The color might have had something to do with it.
qs8DBHZ.jpg

The exposed carbon fiber back panel was the only thing I didn't like about this Viper.
aEgm1aD.jpg

Absolutly massive orange truck.
onCObzP.jpg

Cheesy fake radar display in a jacked up Wrangler.
AAI1Mcl.jpg

I'm starting to like the new Cherokee. Especially in Trailhawk trim. Especially in this color.
AmtSHky.jpg

The JCW Mini concept needs to reach production with that brushed metal look.
Jnw9nth.jpg

x42som1.jpg

Really liked the JCW Paceman All4 with a 6 speed manual. If somewhere down the line I need a bigger car, I can see myself picking up a used one of these. Assuming they sell one new in the first place.
aq1iuP2.jpg

S4j1y2N.jpg

M4. Meh
1FvSGYC.jpg

gUgiTeO.jpg

Mirror looked cool from this side, but that fin is just cheap looking black plastic from the driver's point of view.
e5lf64E.jpg

M235 was also meh. All in all I was really dissapointed with BMW's and Mercedes's offerings at the show this year.
PndA0Ut.jpg

NBBp44m.jpg

Exposed carbon fiber mirror caps on the RS7? Common Audi! Why was the much better looking brushed aluminimum look from the other S/RS models not good enough? This just looks all sorts of tacky.
kAQVU1y.jpg

Mmmm. Shooting brake.
UMMGkMM.jpg

cNIADc7.jpg

Elmiraj Concept is just as stunning in person as it is in photos.
6fDTzmZ.jpg

0nLzJAD.jpg

KNRF22F.jpg

etnARkB.jpg

ATS Coupe looks like someone xeroxed an Elmiraj with the 75% scale option selected. Definetly not a bad thing.
B43kog2.jpg

VUK4sgq.jpg

There was a Mustang merchendise room upstairs.
pPZdSOY.jpg

And a good overhead view of the 2015. I don't think red is its best color.
V2lbi7C.jpg

After shave!
ZpNZlv0.jpg

VL Automotive was out in the lobby with their LS9 powered Fisker Karmas
UQGEVLT.jpg

And a gorgeous LS9 Fisker Karma convertible
luyyAaE.jpg

Last edited:
That new Mustang looks fantastic, it looks like it's looking for a fight, any fight.

Diesel Wankel?

Supercharged Diesel Wankel?

What the hell

twincharger Wankel Diesel

But since it's a first in the LMP2 they make a fuzz about it. We'll see if they will be as competitive and successfully as Audi and Peugeot.

But since it's a first in the LMP2 they make a fuzz about it. We'll see if they will be as competitive and successfully as Audi and Peugeot.

No chance. The engine has had a full year of development and racing in a tubeframe Mazda 6... and it's gone nowhere. The engine makes that Lola slower around Daytona than GT cars (!!!) and is still as prone to exploding as ever.

Yeah I don't expect them to have any success at all.