2014 Endurance Racing

Eye-Q

Forum Addict
Car(s)
Mazda MX-5 NB ringmeet fashion accessory
6 hours of Silverstone now live: http://www.sportlemon.tv/20140420/vv535343356f31b6.26141933-802407.html

In the last 5 minutes a Toyota was very slow around the circuit, shortly afterwards Audi #1 spun out and damaged the front and a Porsche lost his front left wheel, coming into the pits spraying sparks from the front splitter.

Audi #1 is rolling again, lost the front end, but they will try to repair it in the pits.

The Porsche which lost the front left wheel is still in the pits, now for 13 Minutes.

Audi #2 was in the gravel, they didn't change from the slicks they started with. They did lead some laps ago but it got wet and they lost a lot of time, sometimes 20 seconds a lap against the Toyotas and Porsches, thus falling down to 4th place.

Audi #1 is withdrawn as of now.

Porsche #20 just overtook Toyota #7 for 2nd place.

Last edited:
just got home, but have been listening to radio lemans since the start, what an awesome race!!
and both audi's out, might be a tense championship!!

Nope, red flag just came out and ended the race prematurely. Apparently the rain is too heavy for a safe restart before the 6 hours are up.

Toyota #8 won, then Toyota #7 and Porsche #20.

What happened to the Audis?

Sucks trying to find a live feed for this...

one had a crash which resulted in chassis damage
and the other had a crash and saw both it's front wheels pointing in opposite direction, not possible to return to the pits

and the porsche lost a wheel, but i don't know if it was withdrawn with too much damage or if it also wasn't able to return to the pits?

Both Audis diagnosed with chassis damage after those shunts, so Joest have a mammoth job on their hands for Spa (let's not forget, they're supposed to field three cars there).

As for the #14 Porsche, it got back to the pits with 3 wheels, had its left-front suspension replaced, rejoined for about 30 minutes but was then finally cut down by a hydraulic failure; it crept around for half a lap, made it back to the pits but was retired quite quickly afterwards.

EDIT: Reports from people I know who were at the track - TV pictures didn't actually do justice for the last hour, sounds like it was a really massive downpour and the race officials were more than justified in throwing the red flag.

Last edited:
So with both Toyota and Porsche (despite having some electrical issues) providing stiff opposition to Audi at the first two rounds of the WEC, could we actually be looking a proper 3-way battle at this years LM24H? Would be the first time since, what, the epic race in 1999?

Toyota must be fav for LeMans now

Really? My impression was that the Porsche had the upper hand on pace and needing the least fuel stops, but reliability problems, which they might be able to sort out until Le Mans. Audi seemed a bit of in pace, but ran consistently under changing conditions, which you can almost bet on we'll see at La Sarthe. So it is not that clear cut imho.

So with both Toyota and Porsche (despite having some electrical issues) providing stiff opposition to Audi at the first two rounds of the WEC, could we actually be looking a proper 3-way battle at this years LM24H? Would be the first time since, what, the epic race in 1999?

I think it'll be close. Hopefully Audi can find a bit more pace as it seems as if they can't compete with the Toyotas on speed alone. But Le Mans has never been about just speed, so as long as they can run a tight race and maximise the mixed conditions they should be up there. Porsche look quick but still a bit unreliable.

The Le Mans test day will probably give us far better pointers, but at the moment I'm thinking... Porsche to take pole and scamper away until they break, Audi slowest of the factory cars but attempting to claw that back through various strategy hi-jinxes, Toyota freight-training their way into the lead by midnight if the drivers keep it all together.

Hoping to see a Toyota win next month. I'll be there. :D

Last edited:
Audi need a cold wet track for their current package to work best

Work best at doing what? Throwing themselves at the scenery? :lol: Silverstone, cold, wet, two accidents, two damaged tubs?

Maybe not so wet. On RLM they were talking about the aero only working when it got cooler, which is unlikely at LeMans

I will never rule out Audi but it would be nice to see Porsche put up a good fight.

I will never rule out Audi but it would be nice to see Porsche put up a good fight.

Would be funny for Toyota to win with a car that's more dragster than pious. Audi should be more reliable.