2014 Formula 1 Season Thread

I like it. In a cheap-as-chips-but-functional way.

Get over it, mpicco.

Larger rims will help with the eventual tyre blanket ban (Pirelli has requested that the two occur at the same time).

As to aero benefit or otherwise, just a quick retune of the FW and corner.

Get over it, mpicco.

Noone's gotten over it and anyone who says the current cars are okay is just trying to be one of those hipster doofus idiots who only like what everyone else hates and viceversa.

If they went 18s then Michelin might come back. Tyre wars once again! I'm keen. And they don't look that bad either.

Photos of the 18" wheels;

b4cf1ebe-cd9f-426c-b66f-4a71281e491f_800.jpg

49be4a35-bcac-412d-8526-f696f8a542bb_800.jpg

eeb41982-f257-4592-b1d1-6aaace0f62d6_800.jpg

Looks like they'd be a lot easier to get used to than the strap-on noses or narrow rear wings.

Those brakes suddenly look so tiny and cute :lol:

Those brakes suddenly look so tiny and cute :lol:

Just what I was thinking. I wonder if they would need to rework the cooling, since they seem so much more out in the open air than before. And what effects it might have on using the brakes to keep heat in the tires.

the brakes were used to keep the air inside the tires up to temperature, not the tire surface
but since these 18" tires need a lot less air to be pressurized, and they will be fully inflated, not half like is the case now, the tirepressure won't fluctuate that much under changing temperatures.
they won't need the brakes that much to keep the tires up to temp...

eeb41982-f257-4592-b1d1-6aaace0f62d6_800.jpg

Looks like they'd be a lot easier to get used to than the strap-on noses or narrow rear wings.

If you look at the pic slowly from left to right it's like...

Mmhh that looks like a pretty decent racing car, weird monkey seat and rear wing but ok, whatever, the fin can be forgiven, front wheels oka OMG WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT TRAGEDY ON THE NOSE

Yeah I'm not getting over them.

Last edited:
did they raise the car? that's a lot of groundclearance!

I dont like those rims with ordinary spokes, they need something more to fit properly on F1 car. I hope for some interesting solutions, because there is a lot of room for them.

it's a generic wheel provided by pirelli.
once these tires are in use, i expect the teams to come up with much different designs

i think they look great!

They look like blown up HotWheels cars right now, but the wheels are only the 18th item on the list that makes me say that.

They look like blown up HotWheels cars right now, but the wheels are only the 18th item on the list that makes me say that.
You have used many a page getting your point across, do you need written acknowledgement of it to stop?

EDIT: Picture with some movement, less focus on the wheel design itself.
bN2caF7.jpg

Last edited: