2014 Formula 1 Season Thread

There's no design specially in motion, what are you talking about? It's a mock up.

There's no design specially in motion, what are you talking about? It's a mock up.
It isn't. Lotus did some test runs with the new tires in Silverstone. See Autosport for details.

Uhhh it's still a mock up. Since it's not up to any regulations, just Pirelli saying "here's how we think it would look like", much like a concept car in a car show.

Tire size in relation to rim, and total size, will probably not change and remains identical to the "mockup."

It's a test.

It's not a test because there's no official measurements, there's no guidelines from FIA about the rubber's hardness, there's nothing but an idea.

Just what I was thinking. I wonder if they would need to rework the cooling, since they seem so much more out in the open air than before. And what effects it might have on using the brakes to keep heat in the tires.

Forget the cooling, another opportunity to jam a hand in the downforce cookie jar... Which is part of the reason that they're discussing more strict limits on the corners, might even become a standard design.

The 18" wheels actually don't look as bad as I had anticipated. I think a 17" rim may suit the cars a bit better as far as aesthetics go but that's just my personal nitpicking.

I wonder if they will allow for bigger disks and a smaller caliper for the brakes? Has the FIA set new brakes specs to go along with these new wheels?

It's all in the rim design. The rims pirelli chose aren't particularily good looking, but have rims with a bbs design or less spokes that are thicker, and in a more subdued color, and they can look quite good.

I wonder if they will allow for bigger disks and a smaller caliper for the brakes? Has the FIA set new brakes specs to go along with these new wheels?

Not yet, this was just a trial run by Pirelli to judge aesthetics (I think). With 18'' wheels F1 teams might move more towards LMP1-like wheel and brake assemblies, plus they want to bring back a "spec" active suspension system. I suspect the active suspension and 18'' wheels will come in on the same revision of the regulations.

Forget the cooling, another opportunity to jam a hand in the downforce cookie jar... Which is part of the reason that they're discussing more strict limits on the corners, might even become a standard design.

Not yet, this was just a trial run by Pirelli to judge aesthetics (I think). With 18'' wheels F1 teams might move more towards LMP1-like wheel and brake assemblies, plus they want to bring back a "spec" active suspension system. I suspect the active suspension and 18'' wheels will come in on the same revision of the regulations.

Ah, Formula 1. Where everything soon will be standardised. To me it seems that the real creativity is with LMP1 today.

Ah, Formula 1. Where everything soon will be standardised. To me it seems that the real creativity is with LMP1 today.

It is. I think it's the only top-line series out there where there's still some kind of open chassis+drivetrain+tire (at the same time) development race allowed to happen. (yes, I know, all LMP1s run on Michelin, but the tires are undergoing constant development, just see the example of the "slick intermediates")

Or the opposite.. The F1 rulebook is the strictest in the motorsport world because people have been 'creatively' interpreting it for years. Put the LMP1 regs under the same scrutiny and i'm sure you'd rapidly see the perceived freedom disappear.

So, what's with the new FRIC stuff now? Just another way for the FIA to shake the Magic 8 Ball to change things up? Or was there an actual reason to change it? Not that I really understand the whole issue anyway.

Can someone explain it in plain english for me?

The front and rear suspension are connected. While under braking, the cars can hit I think 6g of braking force. This puts massive loads on the front and not much on the rear. The system basically lowers the rear under hard braking to make the aero work better so there is more downforce under braking. It can also let cars run much softer allowing drivers to hit kerbs much harder and increase general grip at almost no penalty.

Thats my very basic understanding of it anyway...

So, what's with the new FRIC stuff now? Just another way for the FIA to shake the Magic 8 Ball to change things up? Or was there an actual reason to change it? Not that I really understand the whole issue anyway.

As to why the FIA banned it, the systems are very complex and very expensive (deep into the millions, if not tens of millions) and the FIA was worried this would become an area where the teams would sink significant amounts of money developing it.

As the FIA can't get the teams to agree to reduce costs willingly, they're trying to force the issue where they can by banning technologies that look to be areas where teams will spend massive sums developing.

FIA banned it because Merc's system was by far more advanced than the others and this way they're trying to level the playing field