2014 FORMULA 1 SINGAPORE AIRLINES SINGAPORE GRAND PRIX

Engine development is frozen for everyone.

So why do some teams cope with it better than others and "get it right"?

Magic perhaps... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
No.
Not magic. But if you were lucky enough that your development lead you the right way, doing something that worked better than other teams, then you have a season long advantage, since other teams just can't do the whole development race anymore. That advantage you found is frozen, unchallenged.
The really slow teams are the ones with the undisputed best engine of the year and nowhere near the front, McLaren and Force India.

Engine development is frozen for everyone.

So why do some teams cope with it better than others and "get it right"?

Magic perhaps... :rolleyes:

Some teams just have better chassis. Merc got the goose that laid the golden egg this year.. good chassis and best engine.. RBR has by far the best chassis on the grid, considering they're 100HP down on power, and have still won three races, stayed closer to Merc than anyone else, and have given Williams a good kicking. Williams was damn close to getting it right, but it took too long to work the bugs out, and I think they need to cut off life support to the little Brazilian that couldn't.. they would be better off. As far as the rest... I'm with mpicco, Mclaren, and to a lesser extent Force India REALLY screwed the pooch this year.

I don't know WHAT happened to Ferrari.. did most of their good engineers quit after 2010?

I think Ferrari decided that this year reliability would be a big issue so they put all their efforts into designing a reliable car and it came at the expense of being speed, they also according to James Allison managed to design the anti Kimi Chassis before running offering him a multimillion dollar return deal which is why they've been struggling to make Kimi a car that he likes this year though apparently the 2015 car should be much better.
Ferrari haven't done that bad since 2010, I mean this could be their first year with no race wins since... 1993 but their history has shown they consistently keep the team in the top 3 of the constructors which is nothing to sneer at.
Not sure about McLaren, they just seem to be in one of their slumps which happens every few years.

Ferrari has always been an evolutionary team, not a revolutionary team. When huge rule changes are applied, Ferrari has always struggled. And in the past 5 years we had 2 major rule changes laid down and it's always to the benefit of one team which "got it down right". Only 2010 and 2012 were competitive seasons, every other year since 2009 has been dominated by one gimmicky car.

I don't know WHAT happened to Ferrari.. did most of their good engineers quit after 2010?

i think they biggest problem is they spiralled down in a atmoshpere of guilt and accusation
everyone there is exited to work for ferrari, but are terrified to make a mistake and loose their job
everyone is playing so safe, they don't achieve anything...

i think they biggest problem is they spiralled down in a atmoshpere of guilt and accusation
everyone there is exited to work for ferrari, but are terrified to make a mistake and loose their job
everyone is playing so safe, they don't achieve anything...

Pretty much what happened with Mclaren.. The corporate attitude is starting to invade F1 in earnest, and fans are suffering for it. :mad:

The stupid 'ban all innovations' attitude by the FIA doesn't help either.

Hell, I'll be happy if Ferrari is a shadow of it's former self even, next year.. what with all the top level personnel changes, and the lack of F1 experience in the new management.

If Fernando leaves (I don't see him leaving them before retirement, but I've been wrong before), it's not going to bode well for them at all.

Last edited: