2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games

[video=youtube;b-lsSKOlV0I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-lsSKOlV0I[/video]

Are you sure this is for the olympics and not for The Hobbit / Lord of the Rings?

Sochi 2014: Shaun White withdraws from slopestyle event

BBC Sport said:
Snowboarder Shaun White has pulled out of the Sochi Winter Olympics slopestyle competition because of safety concerns.

The American will instead focus solely on winning a third consecutive gold medal in the halfpipe in Sochi but wouldn't have taken slopestyle on in the Olympics if he couldn't do it. He has no problems on the jumps but the rails are a battle for him.

I think he realised after training how technical the top of the course was going to be and knew that even if he landed two triple jumps a gold medal wasn't a given.

In his mind he would rather pull out than win a silver - or as he would call it, the first loser's medal.

White, 27, said the course was "a little intimidating" and needed further changes after Norwegian Torstein Horgmo broke his collarbone on Monday.

:?

Are you sure this is for the olympics and not for The Hobbit / Lord of the Rings?

Well, I did say it was a bit whacky. :p

Zzzzzzzzzzzzz they obviously didn't spend billions on the opening ceremony (or they did and those money are now in Switzerland) because this is dreadful and utterly boring.

The mascots are just creepy. Crap now they brought cars on stage, they're all gonna crash. Tatu music, very fresh...

Last edited:
I'm not watching, but I can hear all sorts of music I recognize. TRON soundrack being one of them, in a jumble of others that can only be described as new-age noise.

I wonder if they even licensed it or if there are a couple of Frenchies out there going WHAT LE FUCK at the TV.

I just watched the first litle bit, then the athlete's parade which was good. Very pleased to see the India guys being there and walk out under the Olympic flag.

Switched off until about two minutes before the BBC finished.

.. the bollocks is over, now let it begin!

:cool:

Last edited:
The opening ceremony was not good at all! What the hell happened... And you just know the guy that forgot to pull the string for the fifth Olympic ring is either in hiding or already dead. :lol: It was embarrassing even from 5200 miles away so I cannot imagine Putin was thrilled with that mishap. The song choices were very bizarre and I instantly recognized the track from Tron and T.a.t.u as well.

The giant conveyor belt/gantry crane was a good idea but they didn't use it effectively and I am so sick of floor projections! It looks like shit from every angle unless you are staring straight down and it makes the performers and props look blotchy and washed out.

Nobody else caught this during the opening ceremony?

Nobody else caught this during the opening ceremony?

I did for sure....thought that was funny too.

As a production guy that deals with similar stuff on occasion, I definitely cringed when that ring didn't open. The rest of the show seemed fairly error free (I noticed one of the people that made the flag shape in LED suits at the beginning forget where he was supposed to go). Unfortunately, that was the most noticeable part to break of the whole show really, so that was unfortunate. Still not as bad as the Vancouver one when the Torch structure coming out of the floor failed.

I watched the NBC coverage here, and the commentators for it were REALLY bad. One guy kept making bad comments about other countries and Russia, and they were all just generally misinformed about what was going on. The only time they were useful was during the speeches to give a little explanation of what the dude was saying, but even then it was a vague translation. Clearly were not well versed in production stuff, as they kept saying "This has never been possible before" when we've seen all of this stuff at the last 5 Olympics (Full coverage projection, stuff flying through the air on cables, the floor opening up, and all that).

I still find it cool and unlike Justin find the Projection to add to the experience rather then detract from it. I liked that it was bright enough to still use it during the Parade of Nations and it was cool that it moved to each country as it went along. I don't envy the operator that had to converge all the projectors though. I have a buddy who does that stuff and had to do a show with 24 projectors blended together, and it took him 20 hours to get it all lined up. I can't even imagine doing 6 times that many.

Ok...I'm done nerding out about the show....time for some Sports. I'm ready to see some people hurtling themselves down stuff at speed.

Awesome display by the Dutchies, a clean sweep in the men's 5000m speed skating! :thumbsup:
(Where's narf with the Netherland's vuvuzelas?)

Nice results by sisters Justine and Chloe Dufur-Lapointe who won gold and silver respectively on the moguls. Good start for Canada.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzz they obviously didn't spend billions on the opening ceremony (or they did and those money are now in Switzerland) because this is dreadful and utterly boring.

The mascots are just creepy. Crap now they brought cars on stage, they're all gonna crash. Tatu music, very fresh...

I understood it, I just didn't find it funny.

Trolololol!!!!

Woo another medal in skiing! Yay!

One of our jumpers hurt himself during qualifying and is probably out of the games. There goes our most definite gold... >_>