2015 BMW 4 Series Gran Coupe (4GC) might be a better 3 Series sedan

Aiolos

Car(s)
2005 Toyota Rav4 :-/ (Mom's)
I think it looks way better than the 3 series sedan, and doesn't look like you actually lose very much headroom, and get the same amount of cargo space. The improved design would actually be worth the $2400 to me. :cool:

At BMW, there really is something for everyone these days. Just take a look at the massive 3 Series/4 Series range ? you can have a sedan, coupe, convertible, wagon, or funky-backed Gran Turismo. And now, with the introduction of the 2015 4 Series Gran Coupe, you can have another seda... err, hatchback, actually. But perhaps, a better one.

Compared to the 3 Series sedan, the 4 Series Gran Coupe is both longer and wider by about half an inch, but is shorter in overall height by an inch and a half. Honestly, to our eyes, it looks a little better than the 3 Series, too, what with its longer roofline, more sculpted rear haunches and lower stance. Full interior volume specs for the 4GC aren't available as of this writing, but we expect them to be roughly the same as the 3 Series, perhaps with a small decrease in headroom and rear legroom. Trunk space, at 17 cubic feet, matches the 3 Series sedan, and because the 4GC actually uses a hatchback design, it should be easier to access.

Powertrains are completely carryover from the rest of the 3/4 Series range. The 428i uses BMW's well-liked 2.0-liter turbocharged inline-four with 240 horsepower and 255 pound-feet of torque, and the 435i is fitted with the company's 3.0-liter turbo-six, good for 300 hp and 300 lb-ft. An eight-speed automatic is the only transmission available in the US with either model and rear-wheel drive is standard. Only the 428i can be had with BMW's xDrive all-wheel-drive system, and interestingly, the 428i Gran Coupe is actually expected to be more fuel-efficient than its 3 Series sedan counterpart. The GC is estimated to return 23/35 miles per gallon city/highway, compared to the 23/33 mpg in the 328i sedan. The 435i Gran Coupe should achieve the same 22/32 mpg ratings as the 335i sedan.

When we drove the 435i Coupe last summer, we actually found it to be a lot more engaging than its 3 Series counterpart, mostly thanks to its lower ride height and retuned suspension. The 4 Series Gran Coupe promises similar things as it can be had with an adaptive M suspension and variable sport steering. Of course, the same Eco Pro, Comfort, Sport and Sport+ drive modes have carried over from the sedan, as well.

BMW's Luxury, Sport and M Sport trims are once again available here in the 4 Series Gran Coupe, with a nearly carryover interior, save a bit more in the way of rear seat space. The car will officially debut at the Geneva Motor Show in March, and hits US showrooms this summer. Prices in the US will start at a manufacturer's suggested retail price of $41,225 (including $925 destination & handling) for the 428i Gran Coupe. The 428i xDrive Gran Coupe will have an MSRP of $43,225, including destination & handling while the top-of-the-line 435i Gran Coupe will have an MSRP of $46,725, again, including destination & handling. This means both of the 428i models command $3,000 more than their respective 328i sedans, and the 435i Gran Coupe costs $2,400 more than a 335i sedan.

The thing is, good as the 4 Series Gran Coupe should be, it hardly seems necessary. But that hasn't stopped BMW before, and the truth is, this could very well be the 3 Series sedan we wanted all along ? albeit at a price.

Source: Autoblog

001-bmw-4-series-gran-coupe-1.jpg

002-bmw-4-series-gran-coupe-1.jpg

003-bmw-4-series-gran-coupe-1.jpg

004-bmw-4-series-gran-coupe-1.jpg

006-bmw-4-series-gran-coupe-1.jpg

015-bmw-4-series-gran-coupe-1.jpg

018-bmw-4-series-gran-coupe-1.jpg

019-bmw-4-series-gran-coupe-1.jpg

020-bmw-4-series-gran-coupe-1.jpg

084-bmw-4-series-gran-coupe-1.jpg

087-bmw-4-series-gran-coupe-1.jpg

076-bmw-4-series-gran-coupe-1.jpg

077-bmw-4-series-gran-coupe-1.jpg

078-bmw-4-series-gran-coupe-1.jpg

083-bmw-4-series-gran-coupe-1.jpg

Full Gallery Here

Last edited:
It's actually very logical. Each is just a different model rather than 'hatchback', 'saloon', or 'crossover'. It's the marketing department let loose and they're getting away with it. If there's one thing BMW can do well it's make money.

I kinda like this. Sort of a new type of executive saloon this whole hatchback saloon thing :p

Last edited:
It's actually very logical. Each is just a different model rather than 'hatchback', 'saloon', or 'crossover'. It's the marketing department let loose and they're getting away with it. If there's one thing BMW can do well it's make money.

I kinda like this. Sort of a new type of executive saloon this whole hatchback saloon thing :p

I object to the whole 4-series creation, mainly. I was told it was a way of distinguishing 2-door and 4-door models, but now we have a 4-door 4-series, which they call a Gran Coupe. I suppose they can make an X5 Mucho Gran Coupe while they're at it. Just seems muddled and pointless.

The car itself looks nice, but it's too similar to the 3 and 4 series. The 6-series was always a car I liked, which never felt like just a 2-door 5er. So the 6 Gran Coupe looks really good to me. This one seems like nothing but a compromise. A less useful sedan that looks better, but isn't as good looking as a proper coupe.

Last edited:
The car itself looks nice, but it's too similar to the 3 and 4 series. The 6-series was always a car I liked, which never felt like just a 2-door 5er. So the 6 Gran Coupe looks really good to me. This one seems like nothing but a compromise. A less useful sedan that looks better, but isn't as good looking as a proper coupe.
Exactly this. The 5 and 6 are different inside and out, so the 6GC at least has that differentiation going for it compared to the 5 series. The 4 series is literally a 2 door 3 series, so it would appear that the tailback is the only thing differentiating the 4GC from the 3 series.

God, BMW's marketing department really has too much clout these days.

Well Audi has been doing this for years with the 4-door A5. I see more of those nowadays than the 2-door version.

On topic though, I'm inclined to agree with the article. Now if they could pretty up the Touring a little bit I'd be very interested in a few years.

At this rate we're going to have a new series that features an extra cupholder.....

I like the styling of these GC BMW's. The 6-series GC is one of the best looking cars out there at the moment in my opinion, and this isn't bad either. I think we will be seeing a ton of these on the roads in the future, which is a good thing. And the new numbering does make sense. It's all about marketing and making the coupes stand out as more premium cars than the normal 4-door versions, hence the higher number, and now combining it with the gran coupe name, you get the 4-door coupe. It's not that confusing and what's the problem if BMW wants to keep up with the game and make 4-door coupes just like it's rivals?

Last edited:
I've found one thing I really don't like about this car. The doors, they're apparently pillarless, but I didn't notice that until somebody pointed it out for me. Why would you want the windows sealing woes of pillarless door if it doesn't looks like one? Okay, maybe the existence of the B-Pillars, and rubber technology that had advanced since the day of Impala Sport Sedan means that there won't be any windows sealing problems. But still, why would you want a pillarless door if it doesn't looks like one? A wasted opportunity in my eyes.

I object to the whole 4-series creation, mainly. I was told it was a way of distinguishing 2-door and 4-door models, but now we have a 4-door 4-series, which they call a Gran Coupe. I suppose they can make an X5 Mucho Gran Coupe while they're at it. Just seems muddled and pointless.

What I mean is stop thinking about them as trying to be different models (and trying to distinguish between 2 and 4 door models; did BMW ever actually say that or was it just the media?). Yes its an unusual way of doing it (and BMW's marketing dept definitely have too much clout) but instead think of them as making a mid-sized executive car available in sedan, estate, coupe, fastback, crossover, and crossover fastback versions. Rather than being badged '3er, 3er Touring, 3er Coupe, 3GC, X3 and X3GC' they're now named 3, 3 Touring, 4, 4GC, X3 and X4. To me that seems simpler... :dunno:

My only thought is maybe Saab would have a chance if they still had those new designs now fastbacks seem to be making strong sales.

Still; so much of this:
I would not buy a 3 sedan when the 4 Gran Coupe looks this good and has a lift-back.

Last edited:
Uneven numbers are the classic shapes, even numbers are the sporty/dynamic shapes.

1 - hatchback
2 - coup?
3 - saloon/touring
4 - coup? 2+4 door
5 - saloon/touring
6 - coup? 2+4 door
7 - saloon

Same for the X models. X5 is a classic SUV, X6 is the coup? version. The cabriolets are all over the place, it is to be seen if they put them all in the dynamic category (6) or in the classic range (1+3).

Hmm, just remembered the Gran Turismo models in the uneven category. Not really a classic shape. Well, I think they will let them die in favor of the Gran Coup?s. Whatever.

Yes, the model naming is confusing as all heck.
Yes, there are many, very similar variations.

Some part of me, however, very much likes the ordering and break down. Each number series is becoming very ordered and similar. Just different sizes of each.

Last edited:
The cabriolets are all over the place, it is to be seen if they put them all in the dynamic category (6) or in the classic range (1+3).

Where are the convertibles "all over the place"? 2, 4, 6, end of story. You can't cound the old 1 anymore and the 3 is gone already.

Yeah we have definitely only just got out of the transition period. From now on the naming will make more sense but for the past few years its been a mix of the new and old systems and was a mess :lol:

I consider myself as someone who knows a little bit more about cars than the general population, yet even I will probably confuse the 4GC and 3 series, that's how closely they look alike.

I consider myself as someone who knows a little bit more about cars than the general population, yet even I will probably confuse the 4GC and 3 series, that's how closely they look alike.

Just remember, look for a fender vent. :p Pretty much the only way to tell them apart, besides the badges.

Where are the convertibles "all over the place"? 2, 4, 6, end of story. You can't cound the old 1 anymore and the 3 is gone already.

You are absolutely correct. I didn't follow their cabriolet line recently. So they already transitioned them into the even category. Makes sense.

So...

It's the coupe version of the sedan, which is actually a sedan, but it's actually a hatchback like the hatchback version, but it's not the hatchback version, it's a "gran coupe".

Did I get it right?

I guess I would be less angry if the 3 GT didn't exist. Emphasis on less, though...