2015 Fiat 500, Fifties Timewarp Edition: Meet "Basil"

Those seats. Such love.

I'm not sure I'm entirely up to date, but does this replace the Porsche?

I used one at work for a couple of years- It is a really nice city run about, so good choice if that was what you were going for. The seating is very upright which gives good visibility but also makes you feel that you sit on the car and not in the car if that makes sense?

Did you consider a Mini before choosing this?

3. I plan to drive this into the ground.

Judging from the one I used at work the ground could hit sooner than you might think :p Trim pieces, both inside and out, startet comming loose just around the 2 year mark and it had a few sensor issues along the way as well. That was 2 years and 10k miles...

A cute car is a cute car, enough said.
scca1.jpg

Congrats on the new car :D that is without a doubt a cute car, it might even be too cute for me :p

Oooft, that interior tho... :heart:

Given that your MX5, with it's rep of being ace, was a perambulating disaster I'm inclined to think that your Fiat, with it's rep of being very "characterful", will instead be indestructible...

That's how it works, right?

BlaRo, I love the car. I think it will serve you well. Most of the issues seen on this cars are largely due to production faux pas on the early US models but those have largely been ironed out.

My parents own a '14 500L and my sister has a '14 500 and neither has given them any major trouble.

Would it be even better if it was smaller?

LitistettyFiat_zpssxebkw3j.jpg

:lol:
yes!

Took the Fiat on a road trip from Austin to Denver a few weeks ago. These photos are all from my phone and I've finally finished editing most of them. Those of you who follow me on Instagram probably saw some of these.

kp284f0.jpg

All packed up

VKJq89F.jpg

Awesome unpretentious little BBQ place, two hours west of Austin, with some of the best brisket I've ever had. Too bad it was closed

ImkELmX.jpg

About the only good thing to do in Amarillo is to stop at The Big Texan, one of the kitschiest and therefore greatest places on Earth. The steak is actually not that impressive, but their homebrewed beers are excellent.

4CIRtxB.jpg

4CIRtxB.jpg

y9yYN1a.jpg

Met this slightly chavvish British guy who was trekking across America with his buddy, and got talked into doing the 72 oz. Steak Challenge. I don't think he made it

6tsdM1I.jpg

It didn't fit.

BDfu02w.jpg

Cadillac Ranch

gV8vwKS.jpg

LAND OF ENCHANTMENT

jFpS1ju.jpg

We stayed at the Broadmoor Hotel, one of the most opulent and historic hotels in Colorado. Built in 1918 by a Pennsylvanian coal magnate, and an absolutely incredible place.

DlnkeFN.jpg

Our welcoming party

9EeNSUi.jpg

Right before Prohibition, the Broadmoor's founder Spencer Penrose brought in literal trainloads of booze to ride out the scourge of the Eighteenth Amendment. In the ground floor by the lobby is a wall lined with cases of empty booze bottles (leading into the restrooms, which seems apt).

fcXJBBq.jpg

Hiked Seven Falls. 154 steps up! This part sucked

dNlzFBJ.jpg

View from the top

gAo8nkV.jpg

View from the bottom. Lower left is a fancy restaurant. My phone died right after I took this

FIS5WXP.jpg

Denver

6vQPWYE.jpg

Drove to The Stanley Hotel in Estes Park. This is the main building. GF had stayed in the cabins some years ago with her family, and this time we stayed in said main building.

It was quite a letdown: our room was probably the size of a broom closet, with nothing but a bed and TV in it, and it was brown and drab throughout. They really pushed the Shining references and ghost aspects of the whole thing, including shutting down every historic room so you had to pay for a $25 tour of the place. (Stephen King didn't even write the book here!) Compared to the Broadmoor it was a huge disappointment, and more expensive.

WC4jnW1.jpg

Two weird Europeans

qg43DiN.jpg

The front desk

0IQsNpJ.jpg

An actual Stanley Steamer (yes, the hotel was built by those Stanleys)

DVKGyFI.jpg

Estes Park

WrMLOGP.jpg

Afv1Gko.jpg

This crappy gift shop was built into the rock face, kinda cool

0x96GnV.jpg

Leaving Colorado, somewhere south of Boulder

lHFCoYp.jpg

OLCW4OR.jpg

YqPxwQv.jpg

PYjVqzR.jpg

Weird machinery

4YFG2JL.jpg

Cool train museum

UofFaCD.jpg

5U9kk9v.jpg

Santa Fe, El Rey Inn. 1930s motel on an old stretch of Route 66 that was beautifully renovated with gardens and courtyards.

bexlHBE.jpg

Historic diner (since 1948) right next door

FXzVqzm.jpg

yDdbCEh.jpg

khfHhy1.jpg

JTJ47UI.jpg

mpoNVGG.jpg

Entering the tiny mountain town of Ruidoso, New Mexico, which had been sacrificed to the Fire Gods

N3tekod.jpg

Ruidoso

NCoL0NM.jpg

cPFLTLY.jpg

The Apple House. It has its own painting!

HQKDOAL.jpg

Making friends in Carlsbad

UzX3Liu.jpg

daSkz6z.jpg

O3CyUjx.jpg

Carlsbad Caverns

6c0eLgj.jpg

We waited two hours to leave the caverns, behind this smelly old guy who had no concept of personal space

qCtNwFH.jpg

VCGXnBi.jpg

HELL YEAH BABY, HIGHWAY 707

gQlrJXe.jpg

5MY7Rro.jpg

jM8LT1k.jpg

rNMQCYQ.jpg

iTCiKGl.jpg

Odessa Donut: opened up by Cambodian refugees, and serves incredible pho, both of which are the last things you'd expect in Odessa, Texas.

0ZDhb7L.jpg

And then we went home and picked up a Christmas tree.

Nine days, 2500 miles, barely $200 in gas, and an average MPG?across mountain passes, flat stretches of highway, and 75mph speed limits?of 31.4 miles per gallon. Good little snot-car.

Last edited:
A great little trip, I need to roadtrip in the US as well some time soon!

Great photos, I love seeing the cute little Fiat traveling around the new world. It's like some Pixar film character, which leaves home and goes the explore the world! :lol:

Damn, now I want Fiat 500.

Sounds like an offer I can't possibly refuse! :mrgreen: