2015 Formula 1 Season Thread

Well we all take it as a given that Sauber don't have that kind of cash, so if that's 15 million Europe-bucks in team shares, GVDG has played a blinder here, since it seems like Sauber can have a good constructors finish this year.

They might even beat Red Bull if Renault don't get their shit together.

Last edited:
I didn't really see anything in the article that screams, Red Bull made me/asked me to say this bullshit.

On Red Bull
"These guys are empowered and are in control, so they are not saying anything that they don't have the position to act on," Coulthard told Motorsport.com.

"So you take any of these guys seriously because history has shown that manufacturers come and go, teams can and go, and if Red Bull go, they take with them four cars, and you can't afford to just close the door.

"They probably wouldn't. They would probably try to make sure there was something for the mechanics and the engineers."

On Renault
"It's not against Mercedes, I think, what they are saying, and it's obviously not great for the relationship with Renault to be so negative,"
"We don't know what's been going on behind closed door. They do what they think it's the right thing to do. Clearly if you don't feel you are making progress privately then maybe you take it publicly. It is what it is.

"Renault has to improve, Red Bull has to improve, and all teams have to improve, otherwise Mercedes will win the championship easily."

It looks as though it's the end for the German Grand Prix this year which is a shame because Nurburgring should have made for a good race, who knows what the future is but it is Hokenheim's turn again next year.
I think probably it is time to for tracks to re think how a race is put on and new ways formula one can generate money for those involved.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/31942154

how many more venues would have to drop out before CVC fires ecclestone?

how many more venues would have to drop out before CVC fires ecclestone?

Hm, well CVC won't care as long as the profits hold up. I know the viewership is declining, but I don't know if the profits are.

It's weird not having a German GP just due to the country's history with racing. Why aren't people going to the races in Germany? Ok the Mercedes team and engine and driver aren't German but they've got other drivers and as much of a history in the sport as almost anyone. F1 without a race in Britain, Germany and Italy at the least isn't right.
Do Germans just think F1 is a bit shit these days? Or do they not like Vettel/Rosberg/Hulkenberg? Or are the tracks awkward for access/too expensive etc?

Or are the tracks awkward for access/too expensive etc?

Tickets are generally too expensive. Compared to other major/major-ish championships that race at the same tracks (take MotoGP and FIA WEC as examples), F1 tickets for the same kind of entrance/grandstand seating are about 5-10 times more expensive. Take Silverstone as an example of event where all three championships race:

F1 weekend tickets at Silverstone - from ?175 to ?460
MotoGP weekend tickets at Silverstone - from ?70 to ?90
FIA WEC weekend tickets at Silverstone - ?40

With this, Monza under threat, teams in financial trouble left and right, Horner whinging and throwing about 40 tons of toys per second out of his pram, Bernie + CVC sucking all the life out of the sport and the new regulations being a good idea implemented incredibly badly... I think I'm just about done with F1. WEC, Indycar, Nascar, BTCC, MotoGP and other various series and one-off races will serve me just fine through 2015.

Last edited:
The simple fact of the matter is that Vettel is not Schumacher and the Formula 1 boom here was practically over with him retiring. Ticket prices play a role, yes, and the dubious business model that F1 has become, too. On the other hand, the revival of the Spielberg race in Austria was a success last year.

The simple fact of the matter is, though, that for most European circuits Formula 1 is a losing business and the only reason they accepted the loss so far, was the image of Formula 1. It's kind of a status symbol to host a race. But since Germans are usually more sober and rational, they came to the conclusion that it's not worth it anymore.

Tickets are generally too expensive. Compared to other major/major-ish championships that race at the same tracks (take MotoGP and FIA WEC as examples), F1 tickets for the same kind of entrance/grandstand seating are about 5-10 times more expensive. Take Silverstone as an example of event where all three championships race:

F1 weekend tickets at Silverstone - from ?175 to ?460
MotoGP weekend tickets at Silverstone - from ?70 to ?90
FIA WEC weekend tickets at Silverstone - ?40

With this, Monza under threat, teams in financial trouble left and right, Horner whinging and throwing about 40 tons of toys per second out of his pram, Bernie + CVC sucking all the life out of the sport and the new regulations being a good idea implemented incredibly badly... I think I'm just about done with F1. WEC, Indycar, Nascar, BTCC, MotoGP and other various series and one-off races will serve me just fine through 2015.

Those prices are cheap compared to Spa! Even friday practice is like 100?, and thats just general access, no seat, no roof.

Sunday race in a proper grandstand with luxuries like a superhard plastic seat and a metal roof = 500?. Unless you want to be at Eau Rouge, it's 600? and you lose the roof...
Going to a whole weekend event at the German or British Gp would cost me the same as race day in my own country with all travel expenses included, and then some...

So I assume we're down to 18 races left then, and it isn't going to be moved to Imola or somewhere as "The European Grand Prix". Which I would be okay with as Imola is at least within reasonable distance of Germany so freight wouldn't be too much of an issue, and yeah while it's not on their doorstep, the German fans would at least have a chance of getting there.

Plus I miss the old place, it's a classic F1 track.

19 races, there was meant to be 20 races this season.

Yeah, I meant 18 left to go, Shame. I guess there'll be a four week or so gap after Silverstone then.

?The trouble is we?ve got an old house and we keep repairing it,? the 84-year-old said. ?It?s not really the way to go. We just need to do a lot better.?

he has finally seen the light!!!!

So what about the changes to getting a super license? I read somewhere that the points a driver has had in the lower series will be taken into account, but with that system, Ayrton Senna wouldn't have been allowed to drive in F1, for example.

So what about the changes to getting a super license? I read somewhere that the points a driver has had in the lower series will be taken into account, but with that system, Ayrton Senna wouldn't have been allowed to drive in F1, for example.

Those will apply only from next year onwards. And yes, a lot of very good drivers wouldn't have qualified for superlicenses on their debut under this system; 40 points are needed for a superlicense, and a F3 title in a strong championship for example is only worth 20.

Merc should come back strong at the Chinese GP seeing as how the average temperature is around 20 degrees.

Ferrari will have chances at the hot races like Bahrain I reckon. It also depends on how the developments pan out. So the rumour is that Ferrari have an upgrade coming to the engine which will add 20-30 hp and a new short nose design like Merc.