2015 Formula 1 Season Thread

This is some bullshit from Mchonda. They used 2 engine tokens and they double retired?! Honestly I'm not sure who to blame at this point and I'm really surprised the boys at Honda have done such a lackluster job thus far. I'm not sure what they can do for next year but I have a sinking feeling that nothing will change.

I have faith though. For me, this is has been the most interesting story in awhile: the collapse and potential rise of Mclaren. The partnership with Honda was a big surprise for me and it has been genuinely intriguing following their progress.

All I can do is hope.

They chose an extremely aggressive approach, even more borderline that the tight packaging of components in the Merc engine. And the old adage is still true - it's easier to make a fast car reliable than making a reliable car fast. Remember that in winter testing they only made a GP distance on one out of twelve days. They've come a long way since then, even having scored points already. This is going to be a shyte year for them, but once they've sorted it out, Merc will have some sleepless nights.

Last edited:
They chose an extremely aggressive approach, even more borderline that the tight packaging of components in the Merc engine. And the old adage is still true - it's easier to make a fast car reliable than making a reliable car fast. Remember that in winter testing they only made a GP distance on one out of twelve days. They've come a long way since then, even having scored points already. This is going to be a shyte year for them, but once they've sorted it out, Merc will have some sleepless nights.

Alonso certainly showed that he still got it yesterday.

About Honda, I'm worried that the gap they have up to producing a competitive engine (fast AND reliabble) is so big, that it will take atleast another season until they have enough power for podiums.

Could be worse, you could be a Lotus fan. Another year of Maldonado, who has 12 points to Grosjean's 38...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/formulaone/article-3242553/Lotus-make-decision-retain-Pastor-Maldonado-Formula-One-season.html

And the word is Grosjean is on his way to Haas, or a Red Bull fan who have ruined their Renault contract, can't get a Mercedes engine and now are at the mercy of Ferrari who supposedly might not have the resources to supply them with an engine next year since Honda really don't have the resources to give them an engine even if they wanted that engine.

As expected, Haas today announced the signing of Grosjean. No word on the #2 or reserve driver.

https://www.haasf1team.com/news/haas-f1-team-selects-grosjean-driver

And Renault signed a Letter of Intent to buy a controlling stake in Lotus F1, which can't come soon enough as I don't see them being able to make the grid in 2016 (or perhaps even finish 2015 if Maldonado does not ante up more cash soon as part of his re-signing deal) without the deal considering Bernie has been making their payroll and opened up the Paddock Club to the staff in Japan so they could eat (as the team was in arrears for last year's catering so they were locked out of their hospitality suite).

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/34377884

And the word is..Red Bull...can't get a Mercedes engine and now are at the mercy of Ferrari who supposedly might not have the resources to supply them with an engine next year since Honda really don't have the resources to give them an engine even if they wanted that engine.

Rumors in the paddock at Suzuka was that Ferrari can only provide engines to Red Bull and Toro Rosso would have to run Honda power. I still don't see why Ferrari would want to help Red Bull, so perhaps the reality is the reverse, though Vettel might not have been joking at Singapore when he commented that if Ferrari helps Red Bull, the least Red Bull can do is loan them Newey to help design the 2016 car.

Last edited:
So with Mercedes and Ferrari both reported having decided to not supply an engine to Red Bull Racing, they are now talking to Honda, possibly for a single year until they can field their own engine in 2017.

More terrible weather today. They were able to get FP3 in, but looks like Qualifying is going to be cancelled (it's been pushed back 90 minutes already and soon enough light is going to be an issue). They may run Qualifying in the morning, otherwise FP3's numbers will be the qualifying order, with Lewis on Pole.

Weather for the race is 50% chance of rain.

What can one say about this season... yet again the rulemakers attempts to create a more competitive and exciting F1 have resulted in a record breaking season in monotony. " I just hope they are learning something from this and we have a closer championship next year."
But for how long do we have to keep saying this?

i don't think much will change for next year
the only big chance is the way they can select tires, and i think if you give them 4-5 races, each team will have found the best setup, and they'll all use the same...
i'm having my fingers crossed for 2017

but i didn't dislike the championship this year, i don't think much should change about the on-track action (unless the only thing you care about, is the first car)
but those gazillion limitations and restrictions have to go!

I think probably Ferrari will be much more competitive against Mercedes then this year and that Williams will probably find themselves challenged by either McLaren, Red Bull or both.