Ownership Verified: 2015 Mustang GT: My Second Pony

Nabster

Has Slutty Mustangs
Car(s)
1969 Mustang Coupe, 2019 Mustang GT, 2011 F150
So, this was alluded to in a short series of slightly cryptic posts over in the Random Thoughts thread. My Old Grand Prix was starting to become a pain with little maintenance items continually popping up, and I while I loved the way that car drove the rest of it falling apart around the engine was thoroughly annoying.

Cue the replacement:

I had been for a couple months trying to find a 2013/2014 in Gotta Have It Green, but I couldn't find a suitable convertible. Then I went and test drove the new 2015 models. Miles better. The little Eco 4 cylinder and the V6 drove about the same- a little raspy but still perfectly capable, the 4 popper revved up higher a little faster than the V6 though. Then I drove the GT and it took me all of 5 minutes to decide I wanted one. The sound from the V8 is something I had been missing for a good while, and while I'll miss the supercharger whine I got out of the Grand Prix, the throaty rumble now more than makes up for it.

Being in Texas I didn't want a dark car, and I'm not much for the reds either, so I ended up going for the Ingot Silver metallic. Interior is black (or Ebony if you like manufacturer names) cloth because again, I'm not much of a fan of leather in the heat. I did spend a couple days with a loaner GT that had leather with the heated and air conditioned seats, and I have to say the air conditioned seats were the strangest feeling, and not something I particularly enjoyed, it just made me feel like I was sitting on something wet. The other notably missing option is the performance package. I went without it because I simply don't need it. That GT loaner had it. I experimented with it, and while fun, I don't think I'd be able to maintain my spotless driving record long if I had it. The sports driving mode was fun, and the track mode was just a little crazy. It was much easier than I thought it would be to make the car go sideways using just the throttle. :lol: That all said, I do still have the factory line lock feature should I feel the need to disappear in a cloud of smoke.

More visual stimulus:

Interior, featuring what I find to be quite nice quality. There are some noticeably plasticy parts, but what car in the price range doesn't have that? Seats are quite comfortable, good side support and they fit me well.

I got her with just under 23 miles on the clock, then had a bit of a short drive back home.

Somewhat cheesy heritage:

Engine bay, featuring the 435 Horsepower/400 ft/lb 5.0L V8, and much to my happiness not a giant plastic engine cover. There's actually good visibility, and room between parts to service things. I'm told all things pertaining to fluid caps/lids/handles and/or painted yellow under the hood also glow in the dark to make finding them easier.

Also, required proof of ownership picture:

You know what I think my favorite feature of the car is? The key. It's got what they call Intelligent Access, basically a proximity sensor in the key fob thing. No taking the keys out of your pocket, as long as they're on your person within about 3 feet of the car all you have to do is stick your hands behind the handle and the door unlocks. Get in, press brake and engine start button and you're good to go. When you get out of the car, simply touch the side end of the handle and the doors lock back up. Basically no more need to pull keys from your pocket. This sort of business is probably fairly common on European cars for a while now, but it's new to me and something I'm very happy to have. There's also an external button for the trunk lid release on this model, something they haven't had before.

The back seats are more or less worthless for people unless they're child sized. I got back there myself, basically having to tilt my head completely sideways to fit in the seats. But, seeing as this is a car for me to drive, it's not much of a big deal. I also like that both back seats fold down to allow for a nearly flat and full pass through into the trunk, so I can still transport fairly large items.

In the near term: sticking on a FG decal. Painting the red period in the 5.0 badge over with some bright green Legend Lime paint to match the other Mustang. Contemplating a supercharger....maybe I miss that whine more than I let on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats! :cheers:

A silver Mustang somehow looks weird... is that a rare(ish) combination?

On the keyless entry/start: It's a commonly available option over here, but still vastly the minority in terms of actually being spec'd. I have it and like it as well :nod:

Last edited:
The silver really needs stripes. But I like it.

I also like it. I like the idea of changing the red in the badge to green, that's the kind of detail I love to see.

I agree that stripes of some kind would work, maybe a vinyl. I think it should be something that isn't the standard double stripe or Boss stripe though.

I'm wishy-washy on stripes. I see the appeal, as it is a bit bland without anything, but I'd have to find a set I really like, I won't just slap some on to have some. There's also the shiny or matte stripe decision, shiny stripes might look weird since they're usually matte, but matte stripes are more of a pain to clean correctly.

Congrats! How's the interior room? Is it on par with the 05-14 cars?

Congrats! How's the interior room? Is it on par with the 05-14 cars?

Seems good to me. I'm 6'1" with pretty long legs. There's still room to move the drivers seat backward, I have space over my head, and the steering wheel is adjustable for height and telescopes, so it's easily moved out of knee room. I haven't noticed any obnoxious space or placement issues yet, although visibility over my left shoulder is more or less non-existent. That said, someone larger... around, I guess, than me might find the seats a bit uncomfortable on the sides, but I fit nicely into them.

So what's the plan? Stick with it or just something to hold you over for the 2019?

So what's the plan? Stick with it or just something to hold you over for the 2019?

Yeah, when the 2019s come out I'll be upgrading. It will also be painted to match the '69 at some point.

Last edited:
This looks REALLY good in silver.
Nice choice.

Congratulations! That is a very very good looking car! I also like "GROUND SPEED". :)

I'd never go with such a dull color when buying a new car, but congrats on your choice of vehicle. I'd do the same :)

Congrats! Not crazy about the super tinted windows, but I guess that's something you more-or-less need in the Texas heat.

Also a bit surprised you don't have a shock tower brace, AFAIK all late 2013-14 S197 GTs got one, and most S550 GTs I've driven had one too.

Silver? Why?

Why not Deep Impact Blue or Competition Orange? The grey paint make a muscle car like the Mustang look a bit boring in my opinion...

Anyway, congratulations for the car:)

That's one clean looking pony. I, for one, am a fan of the simply silver exterior, although some darker grey stripes might work too. Congrats anyway :cool: