2016 Formula 1 Season Thread

Mercedes actually has no reason to keep Hamilton. Rosberg has proven that he too can bring the championship home, so why should they pay two rockstar salaries? Hamilton needed Mercedes more than Mercedes needed Hamilton.

wot? with his antics all over the world (going out with venus williams, appearing in that videogame, doing appearances in movies, ...) he did more for mercedes than they could've ever dreamed!
i don't think there is any sponsor who would take rosberg over hamilton...

Mercedes is in the bussines of selling cars. with a succesfull F1 team they are trying to impress their base which is late 40s+ bussines men/women, not millenials that don't buy cars or don't have any money.

Mercedes is in the bussines of selling cars. with a succesfull F1 team they are trying to impress their base which is late 40s+ bussines men/women, not millenials that don't buy cars or don't have any money.

Mercedes is in F1 for the airtime and brand recognition. the more their drivers come in the media, the more they like it
in that regard drivers like vettel and rosberg hold no value to them

it's teams like McLaren and Williams who are in F1 to showcase their technology and drive their own development who want drivers like those
Ron Dennis said multiple times Hamilton his lifestile would not be allowed if he was still driving for McLaren, Mercedes pushes him to do so

bone, congratulations on your new job as Head of Marketing for Mercedes! Did not realize you held so much insight into what Mercedes views and strategy were.

Can you get me a signed cap?

Nico Rosberg is retiring with immediate effect.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/38185846

That's a shocker. I guess he was happy with one title. He's most likely saved Lewis from the axe now as well. Of course the big question is who comes in now? Most of the drivers are in contracts for next year. Will they go for a young challenger, or go the route of having the second driver being primarily there to run interference?

It's going to seriously diminish the hype for next season, if Mercedes run away and hide again, there's no battle.

(My dream scenario would be Jenson, but I know that's not happening)

When I saw the reddit thread, I thought - what the fuck. Is it April 1st.

But I respect him for this decision, dude's been racing for 10 years and finally got his WDC, and Mercedes is probably going to lose their dominance with the new regulations, so rather than fade into the midfield, why not go on a high.

So yea, it will be weird not seeing the reigning champion on the grid, but if I was a family man with over 10 years of F1 racing and finally got my championship, I'd definitely consider that too.

Wow, I was not expecting that news this morning.

But good for Nico, going out on top. I wish him the best.

The Casey Stoner effect, being able to say "Fuck all the bullshit, I've got my world championship(s), I'm going home".

I can respect Rosberg's decision, he must know what's best for himself and his family and they always say, quit while you're winning.
Surely we'll see him again in DTM, or LeMans. Although not the flashiest or most flamboyant, he's a very reliable driver.

Now off to a really interesting silly season!

Last edited:
I wonder how many drivers are kicking themselves right now having signed their 2017 contracts for lesser teams. Nico Hulkenberg for example though Esteban Gutierez needs a drive.

Mercedes is in F1 for the airtime and brand recognition. the more their drivers come in the media, the more they like it
in that regard drivers like vettel and rosberg hold no value to them

it's teams like McLaren and Williams who are in F1 to showcase their technology and drive their own development who want drivers like those
Ron Dennis said multiple times Hamilton his lifestile would not be allowed if he was still driving for McLaren, Mercedes pushes him to do so

Brand recognition? Dude we're talking about mercedes benz. This isn't Redbull or Monster energy drinks. Imho they see hamiltons antics as a bonus, so their PR team has something to brag, but that's not selling cars.

so would be vettel be studying his contract right now, to see if ferrari failed enough this year to invoke his get out clause? :D

I'd like to see Max in Mercedes, if only for the NUCLEAR levels of shitstorm if they both contend for the championship.

so would be vettel be studying his contract right now, to see if ferrari failed enough this year to invoke his get out clause? :D

According to Sky F1, Sebastian is a bit annoyed that he's not allowed to call the shots in the way Michael used to. Makes me think he could already be eyeing an exit.

Mercedes F1 tech chief Lowe set for shock Williams switch

Mercedes technical chief Paddy Lowe is poised to make a shock switch to Williams next season, with multiple sources indicating that he has accepted an offer to join the Grove-based team.

On the back of three consecutive Formula 1 world championship titles, Lowe?s future at Mercedes had been the subject of speculation for months after it emerged his contract was due to run out at the end of the year.

Talks between Lowe and Mercedes motorsport boss Toto Wolff about extending his deal had been delayed until after the season, but it emerged this week that the intensity of the negotiations had ramped up after a rival team had made a serious bid to lure Lowe away.

According to sources with good knowledge of the situation, that team is Williams ? which is looking to bounce back from a disappointing 2016 campaign, where it dropped to fifth place in the constructors? championship battle.

Although there has been no official confirmation from either team on the situation, it is understood that Lowe has indicated that he will accept what Williams has to offer.

Furthermore, with his contract at Mercedes due to expire on December 31, it is possible that he will not be forced to take a lengthy period of gardening leave ? meaning he could be able to switch teams for the start of 2017 season.

It is unclear exactly what Lowe?s position will be at Williams, but it has been thought for some time that its technical chief Pat Symonds has been looking to bow out of F1 after a lengthy career.

There could, as such, be a transition phase, where Symonds hands over control to Lowe so that he can retire at the end of 2017.

Lowe may, however, take on even greater team management responsibilities, as it has been clear that his motivation for the prior move from McLaren to Mercedes was to be involved in running a team.

Should the Lowe move happen, then it is almost certain that former Ferrari technical director James Allison will be drafted into Mercedes to replace him and work alongside Wolff.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/m...owe-set-for-shock-williams-switch-858449/?s=1