2017 Canadian Grand Prix

I just can't see Alonso going back to Ferrari or they taking him back - he'd be the #2 to Vettel and I don't see him accepting that. Same reason why I don't see him at Mercedes, either (at least while Lewis is their #1).

He will not stay with McLaren unless they drop Honda for Mercedes power so if they do not, I'm guessing he will go back to Renault next year, though on the IndyCar broadcast last night he did say he would consider coming to IndyCar full time (though he took a moment to say it so I do not believe he is serious about it unless he was at Andretti Motorsport or Penske where he would have a solid team and car under him).

That was quite the race, albeit only due to midfield scraps and not because thr battle up front was so entertaining. It does show that Ferrari can do strategy right even if it sounds risky to begin with. Good job from Danny Ric too, driving on those super worn softs with 2 Force Indias and a Ferrari up his ass for so long.

I actually liked the 'will they/wont they' conversation with regards to switching the Force India's....

I just can't see Alonso going back to Ferrari or they taking him back - he'd be the #2 to Vettel and I don't see him accepting that. Same reason why I don't see him at Mercedes, either (at least while Lewis is their #1).

That implies Vettel can outrace Alonso in even cars... and I'm not entirely sure he can.

Then there really isn't a point for him to stay in F1 next year. He's done the mid-pack thing already and if isn't in a front running team, why bother? If I was Alonso and I couldn't make a Ferrari seat work for at least one more season, I'd cut my losses and move on to Indy car for a couple of season and then LMP1.

It does, and the F1 cars actually race on the Great Wall.

that would be a hoot! :lol:
i think it's quite narrow though...

You've gotta wonder what Honda are thinking down there, I guess their too proud to look for outside help to figure out what they're doing. He was in the points too if I remember correctly which shouldn't be an accomplishment for McLaren.

the only reason honda is in F1 is to train their own employees so they can better be used elsewhere in the company
asking outside help totally negates their reason for participating...

Force india dropped the ball though, the moment Ocon came on Perez his tail, they should've pitted Perez (and they definately should've done that when vettel pitted for a second time), Ocon was there to keep the pressure on Riccardio, and Perez would've had new tires to try again on Riccardio, and be able to defend from vettel
might have earned them a podium, and kept the inter-team rivalry under control

EDIT: someone's must've read my post :p
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-force-india-perez-ocon-swap-919224/

Last edited:
That implies Vettel can outrace Alonso in even cars... and I'm not entirely sure he can.

I don't doubt Alonso's ability, but Ferrari has always been about Team Orders and Vettel has followed Schumacher's path in embedding himself in the team so I just don't see them letting the two race and Vettel would continue to be the firm #1 when it came to race strategy and upgrades and such.

Not when there are two drivers of even ability. See 2007 and 2008.

Well 2007 was the first post-Schumacher year - and I still feel Ferrari pushed him aside to get Kimi which to me implies they wanted him to be their new #1. And Kimi won twice as many races as Massa (6 to 3) plus the WDC, the latter which should have pretty much cemented his #1 status within the team, IMO.

True, the reverse happened in 2008 with Massa taking 6 wins to Kimi's 3 and being the provisional WDC for a few seconds at Brazil. Then again, Massa might have felt his tenure in the team was in jeopardy so he picked up his game. If he had won the WDC, then maybe we would have seen a true open competition between the two in 2009 (of course, 2009 was a dismal year for the Scuderia).

Last edited: