2017 Monaco Grand Prix/Indy 500

mpicco

Forum Addict
Car(s)
R19
18698448_1687514411278176_3284539379780899034_n.jpg

I think this year there will be a record year for people watching the Indy 500, at least internationally.

Anyway, on to the Monaco GP. Free practices were all over the place and tomorrow's all important pole could be anyone's.

Kimi Raikkonen is on pole position, Fuck Yeah!

That took him 128 races... last pole France 2008.

Very interesting setup for tomorrow, with Hamilton out in the shitter, he looked uncomfortable all session long. It's now in him to not get tempted into banzai moves into the first corner, best he can hope for is damage control here and not losing many points to Vettel but he's never been one to settle for a result.

His best chance for a win in a zilliob years. Now watch him crash at T1 or get screwed over by strategy...

That was one of the more exciting qualifying sessions that I've ever seen. I really hope the boys in red can pull it off tomorrow. They are certainly in a good position to do so. /knocks-on-wood

I just wonder if a certain teenager is planning something stupid for the start of the race. :p I can't help but suspect we're going to see some overly aggressive opening laps from the Red Bulls and the lone Merc. It could get interesting.

Here's Kimi's pole lap in full:

https://streamable.com/fnbm1

That save on turn one, and pretty wide at the hairpin, stonking fast lap there nonetheless, but a high 1:11 was hiding in there somewhere, just didn't wanna come out.

I'm also afraid of some banzai moves and a pile up. Cars being as wide as they are now, it's even more likely.

Hard to believe that video is in real time.

2017 Monaco Grand Prix/Indy 500

That whole piscine section (around 58 seconds in the above video) always nearly makes me crap myself .. . Damn that is close to those barriers

Last edited:
Aaaaand Ferrari have screwed him over already... Not a single pass yet (start not included). Sigh.

Kimi just hasn't had good enough race pace today I think especially on these super soft tires. Sebastian really came alive after the pitstop so I'm suspecting he was biding his time and then caned it when he got the chance.
Kimi started the race off well and seemed to be growing and shrinking the gap but now Vettel is really pulling away so I don't think Kimi got screwed so much as Vettel is just booking it.

Last edited:
Don't think Ferrari gave Vettel the win at all, it was Kimi's job to lap faster on brand new super softs than Vettel in 30 lap old ultra softs, both were in traffic so that's not a factor... he just didn't put the foot down enough when it mattered and only by a margin of half a second or so, he didn't retain the lead. After the pitstop, Vettel put some 5 seconds between him and Kimi in a matter of a few laps, so it was evident the pace was there.

Anyway, a 1-2, I forgot what those were. Wooooooooo!

My driver of the day was Ricciardo, though

It seemed that this year due to wider cars overtaking was even harder than it has usually been in Monaco. Was there a single overtake (or an attempt to overtake) that did not end up with a car or two in the wall?

Don't think Ferrari gave Vettel the win at all, it was Kimi's job to lap faster on brand new super softs than Vettel in 30 lap old ultra softs, both were in traffic so that's not a factor... he just didn't put the foot down enough when it mattered and only by a margin of half a second or so, he didn't retain the lead. After the pitstop, Vettel put some 5 seconds between him and Kimi in a matter of a few laps, so it was evident the pace was there.

Anyway, a 1-2, I forgot what those were. Wooooooooo!

My driver of the day was Ricciardo, though
Well, Kimi's stop was 0.3s slower and he had more traffic. They where matchin lap times in free air. Vettel was 0.5s faster in his lap before he came to the pits, but still he would have been behind R?ikk?nen if his stop would not have been 0.3s faster. Tyre degredation was not a issue in Monaco. They would easily been able to drive the whole race with the ultrasofts, with out losing significalty in grip, according to Martin Brundel. Vettel making the 5s gap after the pitstop, does not nessesary indicate nothing more than R?ikk?nen saving his engine, because everybody knows overtaking is impossible in Monaco.

L?hetetty minun SM-J510FN laitteesta Tapatalkilla

Well, Kimi's stop was 0.3s slower and he had more traffic. They where matchin lap times in free air. Vettel was 0.5s faster in his lap before he came to the pits, but still he would have been behind R?ikk?nen if his stop would not have been 0.3s faster. Tyre degredation was not a issue in Monaco. They would easily been able to drive the whole race with the ultrasofts, with out losing significalty in grip, according to Martin Brundel. Vettel making the 5s gap after the pitstop, does not nessesary indicate nothing more than R?ikk?nen saving his engine, because everybody knows overtaking is impossible in Monaco.

L?hetetty minun SM-J510FN laitteesta Tapatalkilla

His pit stop was 0.3 slower, but he also lost 0.5 more seconds in his total overall pit lane time, which means he didn't attack the pit lane as much as he could. Those 0.5 would have gotten him the lead for sure.

Also can we talk about Jenson Button? That was such a rookie move for such a veteran driver, specially when you're trying to run your final final race. Was quite sad to see him leave like that. Loved the audio at the beginning of the race from Alonso in Indy

Last edited: