Unveiled: 2017 Nissan Sentra SR Turbo

rickhamilton620

has a fetish for terrible cars
Car(s)
2023 Mazda CX-5 Premium
BcVKS7U.jpg

Autoblog said:
Nissan may claim its Sentra SR is aimed at drivers looking to get some sportiness out of their daily driver, but as we found out earlier this year when we drove it, the model is all show and no go. The Japanese automaker hopes to change that with the 2017 Nissan Sentra SR Turbo that has, you guessed it, a new turbocharged engine.

The Sentra SR Turbo shares the majority of the same components with the regular SR variant, but features a new 1.6-liter direct injection gasoline turbocharged inline-four motor. The engine raises power to 188 horses and 177 pound-feet of torque (up from 130 horsepower and 128 pound-feet of torque from models with the regular 1.8-liter inline-four and Xtronic gearbox). The engine can be matched to a six-speed manual transmission, which was previously only offered on the base S model, or the Xtronic unit.

The six-speed manual transmission, which should be the clear choice among enthusiasts, has been tuned to maximize the motor's powerband and torque curve. The Xtronic transmission is a bespoke unit for the Sentra SR Turbo that has also been tuned to bring out the best in the new engine with a wider gear ratio, smaller pulleys, and a sub-planetary gear.

In addition to the new engine and revised transmissions, the Sentra SR Turbo benefits from upgraded suspension including unique front and rear dampers, as well as enhancements to the independent strut front/rear torsion beam suspension. Nissan has also altered the compact car's electric power steering system to reduce the amount of steering effort at low speeds, while providing more feedback on "winding roads." Do Sentra owners take their cars on winding roads? We're not sure.

To ensure that drivers don't get too carried away with the Sentra SR Turbo's power, Nissan packed the sedan with larger brakes and calipers at the front and back. Understeer has also been tamed, with Nissan optimizing the car's active understeer control system.

The interior of the Sentra SR Turbo goes unchanged over the regular SR model. The refreshed Sentra debuted at the Los Angeles Auto Show[/URL] with an exterior design that echoes the latest Altima and Maxim's V-shaped front end. The change to a turbocharged engine is most likely in response to Honda's move to put the 1.5-liter turbocharged engine into the Civic. There's no word on pricing for the SR Turbo, but it should be more than the $21,245 base price of the Sentra SR.

F9hC66Y.jpg

vvF3Q6C.jpg

Source: http://www.autoblog.com/2016/09/10/nissan-sentra-turbo-sr-3451/

The old SE-R Spec V made 200hp. Loved driving that car the few times that I did. This one has almost 12% less power, and I'm guessing it weighs more...

Looks old-fashioned.

I expected WAY MORE POWER just reading the thread title.. this is an utter disappointment.. :D Over here we call that level of power "just above entry level".. that's like a 120/320i (or 28i in the US) or a VAG 2.0 Turbo... hell, I think the Juke comes with that engine if you don't feel like the 1.2 Turbo..

I expected WAY MORE POWER just reading the thread title.. this is an utter disappointment.. :D Over here we call that level of power "just above entry level".. that's like a 120/320i (or 28i in the US) or a VAG 2.0 Turbo... hell, I think the Juke comes with that engine if you don't feel like the 1.2 Turbo..

It's the base Juke engine in the US. The RS version of the Juke has 215 hp.

We got this exact motor since the pre-facelift last year model (CVT only). Everyone is saying that it drives pretty much like the normal one but quicker. :dunno:

2007 has called, they want their car back

Did anyone really expect Nissan to deliver?

I mean...kinda. Unless there's a Spec-V version coming. :)

Quite frankly in the US back in, say 2002, wasn't the Spec-V their entire performance portfolio anyway?

Last edited:
Quite frankly in the US back in, say 2002, wasn't the Spec-V their entire performance portfolio anyway?

Back in the early 2000s, they had some warm versions of the Altima and Sentra. Otherwise, the line-up was a yawn fest.

In 2002 they had the 350Z, and the 6 speed manual Maxima V6 (not really performance), and of course the Sentra Spec-V.

Altima SE-R came a few years later.