2018 Singapore Snooze Fest

mpicco

Forum Addict
Car(s)
R19
Boring. Nuff said.

Reactions: TC
Boring with a mix of stupid Ferrari strategy.

mercedes should sack bottas and give his seat to ocon

how could he not reel in Vettel at the end?

i hope Leclerc outperforms vettel next year

Last edited:
I was so annoyed by Ferrari's strategy blunder that I just watched the post race interviews and switched it off before the podium. It's clear that Ferrari still have some kinks to work out with their strategy department but the pundits seem to think that the thing keeping Ferrari from a constructors title is Kimi Raikkonen who has been improving year after year since he got there. I think Ferrari might be a little too dependent on the faster tires since they seem to take more of the softest compounds to every race and then they don't have enough of the harder tire to test it. Really they should've seen that they hadn't built enough of a gap to make the pitstop that early. I guess if Vettel weren't 30 points down at the start of the race he could have put on more of a fight for position but the next race will be crucial the championships. They need to start getting 1 and 2 finishes to pull this off.

It is the track. You have to be many seconds faster to overtake. DRS is not enough on tracks like this one.

MiXAL;n3553532 said:
It is the track. You have to be many seconds faster to overtake. DRS is not enough on tracks like this one.

I remember the first Singapore race... All the media fawned and blustered over what an amazing venue it was and what a great race. Then the "polls" said it was the best race of the year or something. I hated it then and I still hate it now.

To be clear, I actually have a big connection to Singapore and was really looking forward to that first race, but

1) The "spectacle" of the night race means I have trouble orienting myself all the time - despite having actually walked or driven over most of the circuit many times. All you see on TV is a strip of grey, fencing, and cars (usually too close-up). The silly flashing lights and things do not help - what I want to see is the many striking buildings, monuments and sea front they are constantly passing in between! I wish they'd done at least one race in daylight so I could confirm for myself that it would be much better and easier to follow as a viewer.

2) It's a street circuit so as usual very little opportunity to overtake. Not much they could have done about that, but it doesn't make for exciting racing.

Tight circuit as it may be, I think Ferrari has proven multiple times this season that their strategy isn't on par with the other top teams. And this is coming from a Ferrari supporter. Their strategist takes risks when they shouldn't and doesn't when they should. It's incredibly frustrating to watch.