2019 F1 Season thread

if they hadn't pitted vettel, most likely verstappen would have, and undercut him, that's why they pitted vettel before leclerc
and at that time, vettel was 3.9s behind leclerc, they hadn't even considered he'd make up that time to jump leclerc

vettel his outlap was the fastest anyone managed, imo he stole the victory, he wasn't handed it...

that was an entertaining race, especially when you expect a traditional sochi bore fest

sucks balls for ferrari though, losing one car and because of that, losing the race as well
by now, vettel is only 5th in the standings...

apparently they had a deal that at the start leclerc would keep his lead, or be handed it back, unless vettel made a substantial better start
vettel though he made the better start, so didn't want to give up the place, while the getaway and initial phase of the start was dead equal between the 2 cars, prompting the message from the pitwall

and with latifi all but confirmed at williams....i think no more hulk next year!

Saturday Quali moved to Sunday because of typhoon. Hopefully not a canceled race.

mercedes fucked up by bringing hamilton in a 2nd time
this after ferrari fucked up by putting vettel on the softs

and that stat about the state of the tires is just stupid

I find most of the new graphs super cringy. The "chance to overtake" one with the pits specially. For those who know the sport, they can figure it out by themselves, it's part of the fun. For those who don't know as much, it's part of the suspense. Why ruin it with a mathematical formula?

mercedes fucked up by bringing hamilton in a 2nd time

turns out they didn't really fuck up, they just wanted to make sure bottas won the race, and the weren't convinced lewis would move over to give him the win
merc was champion either way, but bottas got the lead at the start and they really didn't want to take away his win because of strategy

that was an entertaining race!
i don't know what ferrari were thinking giving leclerc the softs for the second stint though

The fact nobody came to comment just goes to show how fucking sick we all fans are with the Hamilton show

it’s no fun when there’s no actual competition. It’s why I’ve been a fan of Vettel this year as he seemed to be all over any time I made an attempt to watch with the time differences that is a global racing event.

It's beyond ridiculous amounts of no competition. The Mercedes era makes the Ferrari era of the early 00's look like the most exciting thing ever. I can't find it but someone compiled the data showing the pole position and wins % performance and it's not even close.

I really hope 2021 really has closer racing. My dad and I were talking this morning, and he read an article that surmised how Hamilton would have done in a Williams this year (hint, it wasn't good at all). I think if cars are closer in performance, drivers like Norris, Sainz, Danny Ric, and Ocon next year would give the Ferrari/Mercedes/Red Bull triumvirate a real run for it's money.

Leclerc got 6 poles in a row, there is only one team responisble for not turning them all into wins...
it's ferrari who sucks balls, not hamilton/mercedes who are "too good"

ever since the french race, the season's been awesome!

2 first timers on the podium!
anyone put money on that? :p

the moment Albon went around, it was obvious Lewis would get a penalty
i would've said "racing incident", but because Ricciardo got penalised for the (similar) contact with Magnussen that wasn't an option
a shame for sainz he didn't get to stand on the podium though

Leclerc got 6 poles in a row, there is only one team responisble for not turning them all into wins...
it's ferrari who sucks balls, not hamilton/mercedes who are "too good"

ever since the french race, the season's been awesome!

Qualifying and race pace are not the same. Sometimes you're able to capitalize poles into wins, many times you don't, specially when you're not a Mercedes lately. How many times has Hamilton started not from the front row this season and went on to win it? Or from somewhere down the end of the field and end up in the podium?

How has the season been awesome? I guess we have different definitions of awesome. 2010 was awesome, 2012. Last race deciders, everything on the line, this is anything but awesome. Give me "seven different drivers winning the first seven races" over "five consecutive one-twos" . Of the 12 races since the French GP, Mercedes won 6.

no, those were lotteries, not races

a top 6 within 20 seconds, on 3 different strategies and 10 laps from the end it still isn't clear who got the best one
yes, those are awesome races...

and mercedes did win 6 indeed, but they in now way ran away with them, they had to fight and several times this year managed to get the 2nd or even 3rd fastest car first over the finish line

Give me a break. The ones they didn't win by some reason or another they were either in the podium or right there at the top with the exception of one or two races. Saying Mercedes has not dominated this season no matter which part of it is laughable, it's extreme cherry picking.