2020 Corvette C8 Unveiled

Where do you get the idea GM is bleeding cash? Everything I can find says they are doing fine.

Their sudden shift to quarterly sales reports on a BS reason, the fact that their books are all STILL listed as non-GAAP and there's a lot of disturbing notes in what they did file publicly.

Here's their last 10 years of year end reports.
https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/charts/GM/general-motors/financial-statements

Look through that and you might find some cause for alarm - things are not adding up. 2017 was a disaster, 2018 didn't make up for it and we don't know what 2019 looks like yet. Recent years weren't great either.

This article still applies: https://www.forbes.com/sites/joannmuller/2010/08/20/why-you-cant-trust-gms-financials/#71c0b9c94638

I sound like a rerun of the C7 unveiling... I just don’t know.

The looks are... interesting. Someone else here said F430 like, and I agree... but this one looks too much of a mish mash, and not a clean sheet design.

No manual is heartbreaking for a Corvette. I’m gutted.

Good news? No turbos, and not AWD. THAT I can get behind (and I most certainly would be behind, that thing will destroy anything I’m driving).

I’d still prefer a C7 though. Make mine Grand Sport, or even a Z06 if I’m feeling like that day is a particularly good day to die.

From the looks of it, the cabin entry is smaller than before, no? This will be fun for the fat old people who buy it.

I believe he is referring to overweight boomers whose first reaction (as documented on the internet) to a mid-engine Corvette was "but where to put my golf clubs?"

It’s where they go to drink and escape their wives.

I didn't know that fat people golfed a lot.
I only know two people who golf, both fatter than me, and I'm pretty fat lol

Ironically enough the three people I know with Vettes don't golf

I'm curious about the 0-60 time, looking up what specs we have available it has a dry weight of 3366 and 495hp. So that means that it's curb weight is probably around 3600, which is about same as current gen Mustang and at only 35hp more it manages to hit 60 a full second less? Me thinks there is some shenanigans going on here.

Last edited:
I don't think he'd have trouble fitting into the C8. His ego, sure, that wouldn't fit on a container ship.

Never said he would not fit, just that he is fat and plays golf a lot.

I only know two people who golf, both fatter than me, and I'm pretty fat lol

Ironically enough the three people I know with Vettes don't golf

I'm curious about the 0-60 time, looking up what specs we have available it has a dry weight of 3366 and 495hp. So that means that it's curb weight is probably around 3600, which is about same as current gen Mustang and at only 35hp more it manages to hit 60 a full second less? Me thinks there is some shenanigans going on here.

It probably has noticeably more torque than a Mustang.

The magic and witchcraft of a twin clutch gearbox. lol

I imagine the rear weight bias also helps.

it probably doesn't have to shift yet to reach 60
so i don't know if the twin clutch will have any influence on it?

They definitely played that game with the manual gearboxes in the past, but during the event they said the C8 has a very low first gear, with gears 2-6 short and very close together, with gears 7 and 8 being for the highway, probably overdrives.

It probably has noticeably more torque than a Mustang.
It is more torquey by 45 or so, not sure if it would make much difference.
The 3.9 in the Mustang is only with the 10 speed auto, which is not significantly slower than the DCT. (certainly not a whole second)
I was thinking that as well.
They definitely played that game with the manual gearboxes in the past, but during the event they said the C8 has a very low first gear, with gears 2-6 short and very close together, with gears 7 and 8 being for the highway, probably overdrives.
I was wondering if it's all 1st gear as well.

I'm thinking either the engine is underrated by a not inconsiderable margin or the 0-60 sprint was done in a stripped down version of the car. Other possibility is that Mustang has much higher driveline loss being FR AND slushbox.

I'm thinking either the engine is underrated by a not inconsiderable margin or the 0-60 sprint was done in a stripped down version of the car. Other possibility is that Mustang has much higher driveline loss being FR AND slushbox.
Good thinking with the drivetrain loss.

I can also believe the C8 being underated. IIRC the C6Z was rated at 505hp from the factory but dynoed at a very impressive 480whp or somewhere near that.

Powerful American V8 in a mid-engined platform that undercuts the Italians, this is the spiritual successor to the de Tomaso Pantera. I like it, and I'd like it even more with a proper manual, but everyone who isn't currently in the market for one is saying that.

That was the most intelligent and incisive comment in this thread so far.