[20x01] June 30th, 2013

[20x01] June 30th, 2013

• Total voters
I thought it was an average episode, the hot hatch segment was definitely the strongest part. I think the race was awful. It lacked everything that makes their usual races interesting including public transportation. SIARPC was ok, I only like their segments when the guest is a car enthusiast anyways.

Who wants to bet the "rental cars" were actually cars that Toyota donated or they just outright bought? Zero chance they were legitimately rented from Avis.

I liked the concept of the race but the way it was put together was shit imo.

Gave it a 7/10 and that's being pretty generous.

Who wants to bet the "rental cars" were actually cars that Toyota donated or they just outright bought? Zero chance they were legitimately rented from Avis.

That's pretty much a given. :)

Or Avis didn't care because of the free worldwide plug even though the BBC "doesn't do advertising or product placement."

Or B. Picking an ?18K Vauxhall as the RPC then following it with that?

Sold out years ago but this is the icing on the cake. How many brown envelopes are JC and AW pocketing as a result?

I'm sure this has been the 2nd/3rd time they've done the 'Hot Hatch' feature and every time they use the same, crap bloody cars! - Where's the S3/RS3's (340hp stock), even the BMW 125d has more power than those! [/rant]

Yeah how dare they not use ?40k cars instead of sub ?20k.

Yeah how dare they not use ?40k cars instead of sub ?20k.

"Don't give [him] technicalities" ... Hehe.
The problem is deeper than the choice of the hatches in the hatch segment anyway x_x

AM, you didn't give us your usual note-style analysis, I kinda miss it ... Was the episode that shit?

AM, you didn't give us your usual note-style analysis, I kinda miss it ... Was the episode that shit?

He was told off by Quiky last series (or the one before) :p But I agree, I miss it as well!

A good 9 from me. Comedy good, info good, music very good, efects also good.
I did not liked very much the effects in the first part, with Richard. Over all, very nice start for the aniversary series.
After a few yers this episode will be brilliant. It happens to me every time.

He was told off by Quiky last series (or the one before) :p But I agree, I miss it as well!

"Told off" as in "Don't do it again or there'll be trouble!" ??
Ok I agree we've veered slightly off-topic here. Back to discussing the average episode :(

7/10 from, not a good show but quite decent.

Hot hatches was fun and I liked the SIARPC part for most of the time, except the ruined catering-stuff, that stuff is getting old.

The race was kinda "meh" sadly, didn't like the scriped crashing that much and would have been better with Jezza on the boat and James in the car ;)

Or Avis didn't care because of the free worldwide plug even though the BBC "doesn't do advertising or product placement."

Avis is a partner/sponsor of Top Gear Live. One can be sure of this as BBC Worldwide hasn't sued them for calling themselves "The Stig of rental car companies".

An inoffensive but boring episode.

The hot hatch review could've been good, but then they decided to use Hammond for it. How much better would that segment have been if Chris Harris had done it instead?
The news segment used to be one of my favourite parts, recently it has been a drag (as it was on this occasion). Brian Johnson and Warrick Davis tried to make the RPC segment entertaining. The script writers put pay to their efforts. I did watch this part to the end though, as I was hoping they had written in a faux fist fight between Mike Rutherford and Hammond. Alas, no.
The race could've been good, had Clarkson not deliberately tried to loose.

The hot hatch review could've been good, but then they decided to use Hammond for it. How much better would that segment have been if Chris Harris had done it instead?

Who is this Chris Harris I've seen mentioned a few times?

I liked the hot hatch segment even though it was void of any actual information. Multiple stars in the new reasonably priced car was just as boring as it was last time. News was awful. The race was okay in my opinion, but the scriptedness of the crashes (I would not bet against the SUV "causing" the first crash being the crew vehicle) is just far too obvious. Plus, it's fucking New Zealand, JEremy called it the "most beautiful country.... in the world", but they didn't show any gorgeous landscape. :( I really liked the take on rental cars, though, but I think a normal person would not get away with that kind of damage. ;)

Who is this Chris Harris I've seen mentioned a few times?

Not seen him yet? Awesome guy for years.

Just watch on the drive channel on youtube, "CHRIS HARRIS ON CARS".

I really liked the take on rental cars, though, but I think a normal person would not get away with that kind of damage. ;)

I don't know about that. The only rental car I have ever damaged was an Avis Toyota Corolla in New Zealand and they gave me a replacement car without an inquisition. It wasn't actually my fault, the windscreen of the car was destroyed by a rock thrown up by a truck passing in the other direction, but they didn't make the process difficult when I found the nearest Avis outlet ....... unlike Hertz, who tried to pin some non-existent damage rort on a car I returned to Perth Airport. A few weeks after I returned the car, I found an extra $600 taken from my credit card by Hertz for damage to the bonnet of the car. They backed down and refunded the money the instant I phoned them. Corrupt pussies!

7/10

I didn't like the rented car race but the hot hach segment was good and so the SIARPC.

Something like this: