[20x02] July 7th, 2013

[20x02] July 7th, 2013

• Total voters
My least favorite show ever. I am still giving it a 7/10 because I did enjoy some of it and I am still laughing about the self parking volvo. I hated the parkour bit and I had been looking forward to it because I loved it the last time.

I would have never dreamed little opie would be siarpc. His new movie looks exciting too. I think I will need to see that one at an IMAX.

Man there is a lot of hate surrounding the parkour/bike race. Who cares if there weren't any cars? As long as this doesn't become a normal thing, it's okay, it's still very interesting and intense to watch.

What road/location was used in the Ferrari F12 review?

I heard him say it was in Hertfordshire. Where about in there? I live in Herts but I didn't recognize the location from the places I know here.

Mate, the location was about 500 miles from London, in Northern Scotland. I've no idea why he said he was 40 miles out of London in Hertfordshire when they actually filmed around some place called Pitlochry, 40 miles out of Dundee...

Pretty weak episode honestly. Most of it had been done. Best part was the BAC Mono test, the production values where immense.

Jeremy's tests of the track thing and the Ferrari F12 were really good. I was particularly pleased he tested the Ferrari on public roads and made noises like a sensible human being in the process. I even enjoyed, to a small extent (compared to previous iterations), the taxi race; but the hoody versus motorbike thing had me reaching for the fast forward button. 5/10

Can't believe there are people here who don't know who Ron Howard is .. but then, I guess, I'm old and wouldn't know snoop doggy do-do from L-L-cool-pop.

Mono and Ferarri segments were quite good I guess. I could even enjoy the silly taxi thing, except for the over-scripting. Jamses segment was boring though.

I wouldn't be suprised if the season really turns out like Andy said in the behind the scenes, sarcastic or not. :D

Last edited:
7/10 we could of done with out the taxi race and the jumping race.. The Ferrari segment was good but could of been a bit better given more time. I think they need to get back to testing cars and get away from all the funny scripted crap. The funny stuff comes naturally not being forced down our thoat.

7/10 BAC Mono, didnt really care for the car, its cool, but nothing I would want to buy if I was stupid rich, I gave it a 7 for the cinematography, best part about that piece
6/10 News, it was the news segment, what else is there to say
5/10 Taxi demo , it was a race to wreck and destroy cars , who doesn't like a demolition derby , lol
-3/10 BBC Building race, what was the point, has anyone figured out yet? , or we just all going to agree it was a filler piece, maybe the went over budget
10/10 F12, yes, giving it a 10, but more for the cinematography, that was the best part of the show

Overall, was not an episode I would watch again really, nothing great, not horrible

You guys are getting harder to please :)

I actually really enjoyed last nights' episode. The Mono and Ferrari reviews were both great. News was funny, SIARPC interesting. The two other segments were definitely the weak spots. The taxi destruction-derby I could take or leave, these things always seem like the sort of stuff that should be kept for a petrol station 99p DVD bin. James' BBCTVC segment was still a good watch, even though not "car" based, with some great stunts. I gave it a 9, but perhaps it's really an 8 and I was being a bit generous.

After last week's debacle, I went into this week's episode preparing to thoroughly dislike it. I didn't want to, mind... I just expected it.

I'm glad to say I was wrong, though I'm not quite sure how it happened.

- Race track based car test. Check. But Jeremy was mostly on form. It might not be one of the best tests he's ever done, but it was good.

- The news. Still light on actual cars to talk about (though it actually had some, unlike last week), and plenty of comedy. But, Christ, I don't know, it just seemed to flow much better and feel more natural. I enjoyed it.

-Richard's taxi-crucible-motorsport-thingy. Ok, I'll admit it. I liked the previous stupid motorsports races. And I liked this one too. Simple, light hearted... whatever. I had fun.

- SIARPC: holy crap, a guest with some relevance for petrol heads (because of his new film). And half the interview was about said film. It was a discussion. A dialogue. What a unique effing concept. Good stuff.

- James May's BBC "race." Once this started, my heart sank. James usually cooks the best films, but here it appeared he was given spam as his chief ingredient. Hang on, there's 18 minutes left in the show. Surely this won't take up all of it (I don't like to look at the pre-episode discussion or other spoilers anymore). Wow... it's not great (James is all but completely diminished), but it's a decent short fluff piece, I suppose. The shattering glass was a bit much, however.

- Wait, they're doing the F12 now? I knew it was happening this series, but still. Great! And I knew it was supposed to be off the track, but I had such low hopes for them, it's been so long since they did a proper review off the bleeding track, after all. Wait, this is good. It's giving me the fizz. Like the old C63 review. It's great. He's actually talking about the aero! He's quibbling!

Did Wilman and Porter and the three boys have access to all these cars 5 years ago, make the films, and bottle it until now? Because that's when it feels like it was made, as far as quality goes.

7/10 solid episode, +1 because this is all subjective nonsense anyway. 8/10. Brings a tear to my eye.

Last edited:
Reactions: MWF
Much much better. Can't really understand half the bitching.

I enjoyed both of Jezza's reviews because for the first time in ages he didn't seem to be plagiarising himself and recycling the same old cliches and the filming was amazing.

The race around TV Centre? Why not? The footage of Dougie Lampkin charging around the building looked great and who else could he have raced against?

Taxi race? So it was a rehash but it was a bit of harmless fun and the SIARPC segment was interesting and good to watch. I found myself liking Ron Howard far more than I thought I would.

A solid 8. And the Ferrari film left me with a lump in my throat - a proper, classic, well made TG film.

Man there is a lot of hate surrounding the parkour/bike race. Who cares if there weren't any cars? As long as this doesn't become a normal thing, it's okay, it's still very interesting and intense to watch.

A segment like this has no place on Top Gear. James May has his own TV series which transcends the topic of cars - that's where it belongs. Not on Top Gear though.

A segment like this has no place on Top Gear. James May has his own TV series which transcends the topic of cars - that's where it belongs. Not on Top Gear though.

Motorbikes have gears. :tease:

4/10 because the BAC Mono review wasn't utter tripe.

The rest of it wasn't very entertaining nor very factual. I actually sat through that SIARPC review thinking "damn I wish I was watching Rush instead of this."

Seems that scripted content is becoming more and more common.. its disappointing. On the bright side, they are at least making fun of the obvious scripted / staged clips. The taxi race quickly went from cool fun race that held my interest.. to being meaningless bullshit. The limo being split in half (which you can see the crash dummy in the driver seat) etc.. it was all entirely too fake. What's the point of a race if you just film it in segments and have half the vehicles explode?

Anyway, the episode overall was better than last week. The news segment was entertaining. The parkour segment was horrendously scripted and full of stunt bullshit but still pretty fun to watch at least. The ferrari was cool, even with Jeremy's self-contradictions. I gave it 7/10 overall.. but top gear needs to get its shit together and listen to its fans. This is hardly better than TG USA (maybe, haven't actually been watching the US version)

I usually just lurk here, but felt I had to post after last night's episode: sorry TG, but I thought that was abominable. I already had a worried feeling of rehash following the series opener, but last night just took the biscuit. At least when James did the free running thing before, he was actually IN the bloody race; why on Earth would the TG audience want to see a trials bike and two free runners performing half a ton of obviously set up individual stunts, strung together and pretending to be a 'race'?! So, they really had so many cameras in there, did they? Bollocks!

The Mono and the Ferrari films were passable, and unusually, I really enjoyed the SIARPC segment; usually I can't stand a movie being plugged, but this one looked genuinely good and more importantly, of genuine interest to the TG audience.

Hammond's taxi race though...again, we've seen it all before, and it's just not funny anymore; that too was obviously strung together from a series of carefully set up individual stunts, and was just a waste of airtime; Hammond is by far the weakest of the three when on his own.

I have NO problem with the scripted/set up element of the show- indeed, I'm a 'cocking about' fan rather than a 'car review' fan- but for God's sake, do something new/clever/relevant with it?

Total shit- sorry Top Gear.

I quite liked that episode, the mono review was pretty good, very nicely shot and so was the F12 review. It was just disappointing that the F12 didn't get a power lap which means it may never get a power lap and a place on the board.
The taxi race wasn't as engaging as I had hoped for but it was good enough and I liked the BBC building video more then I expected to, yeah.
Oh, and the news. I really like the idea of a film where Jeremy is in the P1 James May in LaFerrari and Hammond in that Zonda, and since everyone here LOVES rehashes they could drive to the south of france!

Last edited: