[20x05] July 28th, 2013

[20x05] July 28th, 2013

• Total voters
In the news, James comment to the Singer being like a greatest hits. Clarkson replies with "??? something greatest hits" Schwoddy?

Anyone, know what he said?

Enjoyed the episode! I agree with Hammond's point that Lamborghini's may have lost a bit of "poster" factor and loved when they hung a lampshade with the Porsche/Top Gear comparison. I completely lost it when the CX-5 did an endo on the speed lap :D Brings back fond memories of the Reliant Robin feature.

Why I'm here, however, is that I don't understand is what was going on in that car park where Clarkson made an *ahem* "auto stimulation" joke with the squeaky sound. What do Stan Collymore and Phil Mitchell have to do with guys in a dim parking lot peaking into crossovers?

This will probably explain it.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/110751/BBC-bosses-back-dogger.html

BUT: For how long did James actually bother driving the car? You can always see blurred out windows - that really pisses me off these days with top gear. The presenters do not bother to drive those cars anymore. Shame!

This has always been the case, it's just that in the past because they shot in standard definition it was a lot easier to hide the fact that they weren't the ones driving the car, it's spelled out in Ben Collins book. Now days however the only thing they can do is put blurry windows, who cares if you can't see James May in some of the power sliding shots, it's just something I expect really.

Still shoulda invited Liv :D

A very great episode, all the segments where entertaining and intellectual. Couple of jokes in the caravan bit went over my head like washing of the cars and the night at the carpark. What was that about?

Yes but a lot of cars have electric steering. Why does it particularly affect the 911?

I think it affects all cars with electric steering. I learnt to drive in cars that had no power steering, and it does feel better. It's also only ever really a problem for parking, and then, as long as the car is moving you can usually wrestle it into place.

For a Porsche, the purists think it shouldn't be electric at all. What you're doing really, is generating a sensation that's designed to replicate what a more direct system would feel like. Of course, there are some advantages to electric steering too, which are why car companies have ultimately opted to use the technology.

A very great episode, all the segments where entertaining and intellectual. Couple of jokes in the caravan bit went over my head like washing of the cars and the night at the carpark. What was that about?

The washing cars thing was just a piss-take of the people who go caravanning. The carpark thing, as has been mentioned, is the practice of going to a car park to either watch people having sex, or be watched having sex. That's what all the steering wheel buffing was all about.

I found that stuff quite funny, as was the throwing stuff away, that made me laugh. I like comedy when the protaganists are obtuse, and that was a great joke ABOUT social class, and it poked fun at James and Jeremy. Interestingly, that joke wouldn't have worked if Richard had been involved.

Only just seen it because I've been working. Great episode.
I need a Singer 911 in my life. I heard about them when the company first started and I signed up to their press site just so I could dowload all the ultra high-res pictures to use as desktop backgrounds! :D Absolutely gorgeous.
Funny news, always good.
The Lambo doesn't tickle me in quite the same way as the 911 does, but I have a lot of respect for it and what they've done. And bloody hell it's fast!
I'm not much of an Aerosmith fan but I have to give him points for buying a Venom, fair play!
And finally, James and Jeremy segments are my favourites anyway but this one was brilliant! I had genuine 'pause the tv because I need to breath' belly laughs at times. :roflmao: Yes it was scripted, yes it was predictable, but that didn't stop it from being one of the funniest things TG has done in a very long while. More of this please boys! :clap:

I'm not going to say Top Gear is back. I've made that mistake before. This past episode was great, but the series as a whole has been bad. And even if next week's show is great, I think this still goes down as the worst series they've ever done.

I was in a sour mood at the start of this episode, but by the end of the caravan challenge, I had laughed so many times I had completely forgotten what had made me angry. That alone was worth 8/10.

Chances are I'm one of the very few who ever watched TG.AUS, but did anyone else think the Caravan segment here was a bit of a rehash of TG.AUS 3X03 with their Grey Nomad trip at an Outback driving course?
Still. Funny as hell.

True Top Gear form. If you don't like this ep, I don't think you like TG

That Lambo. I didn't like it at first in photos, but seeing it out on track, I'm in love.

DAT LAMBO! MOTHA O' GOD!

Another good TG episode, too few this series (this and EP. 3?) but this was a good one! Keep it up boys.

It's not news - it's just one person trying to get their fifteen minutes of fame.

I figured the bit in the carpark was a dogging reference. And let's face it, Jeremy's called caravannists a lot worse.

Great episode, let down only by Steven Tyler and his crap driving. 8/10.

(I had hoped that Richard would be driving the Veneno, but the Sesto Elemento was a good consolation prize.)

I hope some of the Brits realize that there were parts of this episode that were staged...

As far as the episode, best of the series so far. That classic 911 is beyond awesome....and the sound was astonishing. Lambos were beautiful as usual, and the caravans were just good 'ol entertainment.

http://www.caravantimes.co.uk/news/towcars/mazda/extreme-towcar-testing-on-top-gear-caravan-special-$21382976.htm

Top Gear came to some helpful conclusions, removing potential car choices by looking at their insurance, CO2 emissions, price, and the amount of weight it can tow.

It would be fair to say that they gave some reasonable advice to caravanner's when it comes to what car is best for towing, albeit at the expense of some very unfortunate caravans.