[21x01] February 2nd, 2014

[21x01] February 2nd, 2014

• Total voters
It's always been staged. The only episode I can think of that wasn't truly staged would be the polar special.

The show is and always has been scripted and staged.

TopGear themselves would disagree, as they always claim lots of stuff was real, like the epic races. But I'm not talking about them planning films and challenges. Yes, the show is scripted, just like every other show, including documentaries. That's never been the problem. It's only been in the last few years that they've gotten overly fake with the accidents and calamities.

It's like the old cheap-van-man-challenge. They had a race test and Richard went into the first turn and attempted the Scandinavian flick, which of course caused him to roll his van in spectacular fashion. Fast forward to this episode and Richard over-cooks it into a corner and rolls his hot hatch into a ditch. Except he didn't, and we all know it. It never happened. Now it's very possible that the cheap van roll was planned, but at least they actually did it. At least it actually happened. I've said it before, but scripting is just like CGI or breast implants, when it's done right, you shouldn't know it was done at all. When it's obvious, it's shit.

Richards rolled car was a joke based on reputation of the car, the even reference that joke at the beginning of the challenge. Personally, I really don't care, I still enjoy the show.

He-he in the background of the SIARPC intro! :lmao: Spotting you is turning into a TG Easter Egg .

BBC Canada aired this on Saturday - both the edited "fits in a 60 minute time slot" version and the "fits in a longer time slot" version. Sadly, they still edited the longer version, they completely chopped out the news segment. Hope that's not the way the rest of the series will be shown.

I've probably seen every single TG episode of the past 21 seasons.
This was so bad it really made me consider giving up for good.
It felt like they were making up things to take time, except that they clearly spent a lot for it...
Luckily, episode 2 was much better and later episodes seem to receive good votes, but one really was painful.

7/10

- No car review.
- The news is not funny or interesting.
+ new vs. old hatchbacks felt lacking... but I liked the cars they chose for the segment!
+ Hugh Bonneville was a good guest.
+ mustache jokes! xD