[21x05] March 2nd, 2014

[21x05] March 2nd, 2014

• Total voters
only spoiled by the guest (Not a fan of Breaking Bad at all).

See that makes no sense to me. I'm not a fan of Breaking Bad either but I still like Aaron Paul. He's a true motorhead and drove well too! He was a really good guest IMO.

Anyway, man oh man, what great cinematography during the Porsche segment! Just jaw dropping stuff!

Overall a great episode and I would have rated it higher than an 8, but I really was expecting a 918 v P1 Stig lap. I was left with a hollow feeling inside when that didn't happen.

That face Jeremy made when making fun of the German's sense of humor killed me (+rep to anyone with a gif of that). The "news" and the cycling thing were downright dreadful though, and I don't know why but I was actually quite bored during the 918 segment as well.

I love this whole season, it's been so good I have completely forgotten about last season! A couple things:

1) Who the hell was that idiot behind James during the news with that mouth agape smile? He looked like a retarded mannequin!

Grinningidiot.png

2) After the thing about Richard's Porsche, I'm convinced Richard does genuinely hate Jennifer.

3) I prefer the 918 to the P1.

Last edited:
Great cinematography indeed!

One thing though, why are some people still wondering which is the faster car of the two hypercars? Didn't McLaren officially announce that the P1 did a 111mph average speed lap over the 12.9 miles Nurburgring circuit? That's a time of 6:59, 2 seconds slower than the 918.

Or am I missing something somewhere?

Another very good episode. The 918 and P1 are 2 truly amazing cars

8/10

Great episode after great episode after great episode... what is this, 2005?

Solid 8/10 episode. Loved the 918 film and the hot hatches. Even the SIARPC was entertaining enough. The public information safety whatever films dragged on a bit, but it was still good.

Porsche certainly didn't allow a straight lap comparison with the P1 because they (and everyone else) knows it will lose badly, and they still haven't sold them all. They will use a few months to tweak everything on the car but frankly at this point it looks like Ferrari and Porsche are being very selective with their media outings whereas Mclaren will let anyone drive the car freely. That's confidence in a winning product.

Just not on the ring.. ;)

Jokes aside, that 918 segment made the whole episode for me, it was spectacular. 9000rpm, 240kph, from 4th to 5th and screaming blue flames UP from the exhaust... Holy sh..! Still think the clever mechanics and electrics will make the 918 the winner on the TGTT. But then again, I'm most definitely a Porsche guy...

Also: Jeremy spun out the BMW! First non-scripted moment since.. how many years?

Good episode, only ruined by the fact now we know the P1 v 918 battle won't even be this season. Boo!

Also: Jeremy spun out the BMW! First non-scripted moment since.. how many years?

Three, I think. I remember Richard spinning out in a Porsche GT3 at the Virginia motor speedway. Don't think that was scripted.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd call it an 8.

Didn't pay that much attention to the cycling film bits. Thing is, cycling advocates have never really accepted the notion that they are their own worst enemies when it comes to promoting the cause of cycling. And I don't find it all that entertaining when the target of a joke remains oblivious to the actual point.

Liked the BMW vs. GTI one. I find it odd that BMW didn't see fit to address the cargo / passenger space issue; they're the same complaints that Jeremy levelled with the earlier 1-series / Golf R6 comparo, eight or so years ago. Actually what I'd like to see is a comparison between the 1-series and the 2-series, hatch versus coupe.

Not really a fan of Breaking Bad, but I saw Aaron Paul on Mythbusters and found him entertaining there. Y'know, if they get enough American celebrities to post a lap time in series 22, we might be able to persuade a change of the segment to "Big Star, Small Car."

918: nice camera work on that track.

Maybe I'm in such a good mood since the last three episodes have all been brilliant, but despite that bloated cyclist film that was a rehash of Jezza-and-James-make-a-VW-ad, this is getting a 7. The hot hatch film was proper Top Gear, and the 918 film was solid. That noise, my god. News was good, and I didn't want to punch the guest, so a good episode overall.

Honestly, if the Burma 2 parter is good, this series will be a resounding success.

I like it. The Porsche 918 is a great follow up to the McLaren P1. The cyclist PSA is also very funny, and they didn't over do it imo. 9/10

Yes - I liked that episode - a worthy 9. (Oh and I agree with Viper - liked Aaron Paul, another American atop the leader board/

918 for Mr Cobol74 please. ... Oh no I'll NEVER be able to afford one - damn.

Last edited:
It showed promise. The hot hatchback review lacked detail; people don't buy these things for their track performance. The cycling segment made some valid points (the behaviour of bus drivers seems to be widespread), but funny and cohesive it was not. Hammond appeared genuinely enthralled by the 918; unfortunately the segment felt rushed. His judgement between it and the P1 was particularly profound. :nod:

I can't believe there are people that don't like Breaking Bad... how the hell is that possible?