[21x05] March 2nd, 2014

[21x05] March 2nd, 2014

• Total voters
The 918 is awesome, but I think the P1 and LaFerrari will be better than it, even after watching this episode.

- - - Updated - - -

Good episode. Now they just need to get Cranston for a lap.

which, he has a good chance of beating as he's had quite a bit of on track experience from racing in Toyota's Celebrity Grand Prix...

Wow, every once in a while an interesting guest! I was hoping to have Kiefer Sutherland this season given the fact that they are filming 24 in London. Oh, well...
Jon Cassar - director of 24LAD - was at the recording of this week's TG and posted a picture of himself with JC.

https://twitter.com/joncassar/status/438775617291821058

Presumably they talked about getting Kiefer on the show. If they did it'd probably be in the summer anyway, when LAD is on the air and they'd have footage to show.

Jezza's spin out in the BMW hatch :D

First time I've seen genuine fear in any of the presenter's face.

I think this series, above everything, has proved that if Top Gear sticks to car-related content, they are still pretty damn entertaining but when they veer off like they did in episode 1 and like they did for part of episode 5, the entertainment value vanishes. One more thing - can't wait for that promised shoot-out between P1 and 918. Lets hope the La Ferrari makes an appearance as well.
I really, really hope they do some sort of a road trip with these three.

Take a 918 with the Weissach package, a customer FerrariTheFerrari, and a P1.

Start at Zuffenhausen and max them on the Autobahn (or Nordschleife DROOOL).
Head over to Italy (Modena, Monza, even Imola?) and show some nice italian beauty and scenery.
Then through the italian/swiss/french alps over to the McLaren Technology Center in Britain, a drive through London on the way.
And at the end of the show, something we've all been waiting for - the laptimes.

That's more than enough for a huge road trip, hell, even a two-part special like the Africa one or the one that's coming. Enough cinematography content with all the countries given, enough activities with all three cars given.
Wouldn't even be necessary to put one of them in only one car. Switch throughout the show instead of bitching about each other's cars. Show what you like and what you don't like about all cars and discuss like in 07x03.

Please Wilman, read this.

Last edited:
I'm very excited for the Burma special starting next week - sounds right up my strasse; the three of them, in a foreign land, taking part in a road trip and everything that entails. Sounds like it'll be very much in the mould of the Africa special, and that's no bad thing in my book!

Incidentally, does anyone happen to know what type of camera TG have started using for some of their handheld shooting? They used it for shooting James on the sail boat in the New Zealand race against Jezza, and used it in this episode for the interior car shots of Richard's film in Abu Dhabi when he left the race track.

You can see it here at 58:34: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03xpmwk/Top_Gear_Series_21_Episode_5/

Last edited:
I like how Jezza called the BMW a prussian aristocrat. Let's hope that's trolling.

Head over to Italy (Modena, Monza, even Imola?) and show some nice italian beauty and scenery.
Then through the italian/swiss/french alps over to the McLaren Technology Center in Britain, a drive through London on the way.
And at the end of the show, something we've all been waiting for - the laptimes.

That's more than enough for a huge road trip, hell, even a two-part special like the Africa one or the one that's coming. Enough cinematography content with all the countries given, enough activities with all three cars given.
Wouldn't even be necessary to put one of them in only one car. Switch throughout the show instead of bitching about each other's cars. Show what you like and what you don't like about all cars and discuss like in 07x03.

+1 - that would be bloody awesome.

I gave this ep a 9- lost a point for the cycling cocking about (which I did actually enjoy) being a smidge long, and that I didn't know who the SIARPC was. Spin in the BMW was genuinely a fuuuuuu moment- although if you're gonna do 120mph on soaking wet tarmac it's hardly surprising you might aquaplane. The Golf didn't spin as it was going slower (probably :D)

Hmm, I have mixed feelings about this episode...

- The hot hatchback- and the Porsche 918-segments were pretty good, although not as good as last week's features of the Disco Volante and the G63 6x6
- The guest was so-so - he seems to be a car guy, but there was too much Breaking Bad (another one for not liking Breaking Bad)
- I skipped through the cyclist-segment after the "adverts" were shown and the news weren't news-worthy

All in all a generous 7, could have easily been a 6, but I'm in a good mood today.

For me it was 8,5. But when Aron get on a top of a list, he should say: "Yea, science". So for that is 8.

+1 That would be one hell of an episode :)

That's a great idea but if they do it they maybe should take a more practical route instead of heading north to the N?rburgring and then back south to Italy and after that back up north to Britain.
Instead I would have them start in Italy at the Fiorano (or Nardo) track and do a lap/have some fun/etc.. then race trough some nice alpine road up to Germany and blast down the Autobahn to the Norschleife and again do a lap/have some fun/rant/etc and then travel further north to Britain and then as you said maybe visit london and do the final race on the third track which would be the Top Gear test track. So every car has a "home advantage" and on the way they encounter many different driving environments and really get to know their cars.

Could really be a mixture of the lightweight supercars trip and the Bugatti vs. aeroplane trip with added difficulty. Lots of potential for films with these cars anyway.

Was I the only one who saw an homage to Gravity in the Porsche segment? They have been quite liberal with their movie references this series in general.

Anyway, who would've thought that Richard was, in my opinion, the star in this series. He delivered some very good pieces, I liked his review of the Porsche a lot more than Jeremy's take on the McLaren. Also, I only heard Jeremy's deliberately-funny voice this episode, I thought the news and the bicycle part was quite a disappointment especially compared to the VW ad segment which I really liked.

4 points for the rather "meh" Porsche film, 2 for the hatchbacks - that makes 2/10 overall because the rest of the ep was so bad it went into negative territory.

1) Who the hell was that idiot behind James during the news with that mouth agape smile? He looked like a retarded mannequin!

That's me....

...or actually, I have no idea. Be careful with nasty remarks like this. He could be one of us, and being called "a retarded mannequin" wouldn't exactly brighten up the day.

The episode was....really good. A 7/10.

-Hot hatches. Great, although Jezza's love for the GTI isn't exactly consistent.
-News. Almost always bad. No exception this time.
-Bicycles. Quite nice, but a bit long winded. Someone should buy Jezza a helmet. The rocket bike wasn't rocket fast, but it sure looked quite risky.
-SIARPC. Nice guy, but too much Breaking Bad stuff. Couldn't care less.
-The Porsche. Brilliant stuff, with a bit of Depeche Mode in the soundtrack. Both the Porsche and the McLaren have mediocre front end designs, though.

Great episode, though the Porsche report didn't reach the magic of Clarkson's review of the McLaren, that's why only 9/10. Loved the bicycle bit, the outcome of the films must've been something like this obviously, but I totally agree that buses are the root of all evil when it comes to downtown motoring (no matter if you're on a bike or in a car).

That's a great idea but if they do it they maybe should take a more practical route instead of heading north to the N?rburgring and then back south to Italy and after that back up north to Britain.
Instead I would have them start in Italy at the Fiorano (or Nardo) track and do a lap/have some fun/etc.. then race trough some nice alpine road up to Germany and blast down the Autobahn to the Norschleife and again do a lap/have some fun/rant/etc and then travel further north to Britain and then as you said maybe visit london and do the final race on the third track which would be the Top Gear test track. So every car has a "home advantage" and on the way they encounter many different driving environments and really get to know their cars.

Could really be a mixture of the lightweight supercars trip and the Bugatti vs. aeroplane trip with added difficulty. Lots of potential for films with these cars anyway.

Yeah, I thought about that aswell.
I think the idea in general is just a good way to celebrate this sort of new generation of supercars/hypercars/whatever.

The camera's the Top Gear crew are using are way better than they used to be.

Can't wait untill the 2part special

Last edited:

Very important this bit. Rightly or wrongly at the moment, Ferrari press cars have a real credibility issue that will take a few years at the very least to shake.