[22x01] January 25th, 2015

[22x01] January 25th, 2015

• Total voters
The episode was nothing special. Rly did we need to revisit that race?

Are you Amish ?
Only way that could explain how someone has never heard of Ed Sheeran
Or... People might have a taste in music that doesn't involve random pop stars. I had to look him up, looks like nobody important.

I enjoyed the race, it was tense, also some nice russki women :) While the lambo review was decent it could have done with more noise and sliding instead of the letterboxing colorgrading and clusterfuck of hyper cinematography effects and whatnot. But the big thing with that review is; it is an old point that clarkson made years ago and I just don't buy it off hammond that he doesn't like it or thinks it is boring. I think the lambo is fine and crazy green enough.

No idea who the guest was at first, only now that I looked up the name and recognise the songs.

the chilean flags were subtle yet brilliant! :D:mrgreen:

after such a long time of TG absenceness I would say 8/10. :p

I really liked the race, the finish had some good tension and there was some good funny stuff not sure about the stig's finish but I'm okay with that.
The news was good, enjoyed the news and the guest even though I had no idea who it was though the Huracan review not sure about though better then the aventador review and nice to see a good power lap.

And we are back to recycled movie soundtracks. This time Guy Ritchie's Sherlock Holmes.

Back to? Since when was this not the case movie scores are used heavily on Top Gear that's why the international versions aren't as good because they're replaced with some randomly chosen production music.

Not a bad season opener. Nice weather and scenery for the race but unremarkable other than Hammond falling off his bike and Clarkson's clowning in the hovercraft got a little tiresome. Didn't mind Ed Sheeran as a person even though I'm not a fan of his music.

Have to take issue with the Huracan review though. To my mind it's probably one of the best looking Lambo's ever built and far prettier than anything Ferrari have turned out in the last few decades. Plus Lamborghini hasn't been the supercar poster child since the arrival of Koenigsegg, Pagani and the Veyron.

7/10.

I liked it. I am beginning to like James's new shoes. Beginning to think I should get a pair that color.

I am still hurting for Hammond for that fall. ( I get sympathy pains and in my profession I need to get that under control)

Liked the Lambo even in that color, but I would still go with white if I ever actually buy one.

Loved the Stig part esp the crowd reactions and when he was feeding the ducks. I wondered if he picked up any new facts.

I liked the car James was driving. I thought Jeremy was very brave to take that hovervan on in those waters. Some people down the lake has one. They are a bitch to drive.

I have no idea who the guest was but he seemed to be a nice enough guy and he certainly seems grounded. (I will have to look him up now)
I know what he means about the poplar kids at school because I see some of mine now and I have had tears in my eyes. The same ones I would have sold my soul to be one of while at school. I used to use them as a lesson for my son when we would see them when we would be out.

Is it rude to say James looked like he still had that mop for hair?

Happy to hear there will be 10 episodes but am hoping I will not have to wait until 2016 for series 23.

I thought the pins were a nice touch.

9/10

Just bought mine from Amazon. 99 cents. Had been wondering what to do with my dollar credit.

Last edited:
Not the best episode. The race was miles away from the original one. The lambo review was a little boring and the guest, too.

I quite liked the episode! Seemed a bit more serious than the last season as well as the Patagonia Special. Hammond's accident with the bike though, I think it was genuine and I really felt bad. It must have hurt like hell. I know because I have been through that myself. About the Huracan, I agree with Hammond. I'm not sold on its looks. It may be a better car but it doesn't turn me on. The Huracan looks silly, especially from the front. To me, Lambos stopped being Lambos after the Diablo. The only properly cool Lamborghini after that was the Murcielago SV. Not very interested in the SIARPC. I had heard about Ed Sheeran before but haven't listened to any of his music, I'll be honest. Overall for me, it was an 8/10.

I'm much more interested in the next episode. Three brand new GT cars in Australia and Kiefer Sutherland!

Anyone else suspecting that the Lambo's epic lap time has to do with tire advances in the past few years more than anything?
Or Lambo were pulling a Pagani and running tires that you wouldn't necessarily find fitted standard off the dealer floor?

All been done before and familiar but for all the good reasons; not an exceptional episode but a solid one. Those pins were glorious and while very much "pro Chile" I suspect it was actually more anti Argentina, not only because of what happened to themselves but also because of what happened last week.

SIARPC was meh.

7/10

Last edited:
Race wasn't too special, not too bad either. Lambo segment was good and I agree with them. SIARPC I always skip unless I know the person, this guy I've never heard off so instant skip.

7/10.

I really enjoyed it. Cringed at Richard's first accident, but not because I thought it'd been faked. Seemed a tad painful. Another "Amish" person here, I guess...never heard of the guest star. Why are they getting guest stars who seem to have so little interest in cars/driving that they don't even have a license yet, though?

Thought the flag pins were very subtle ... rather unlike TG, but a nice touch. Good start to the series, can't wait for it to air here - hoping for Feb 14th.

It felt fresh to me. Whether that's because of the long gap or not I don't know, but even with the main segment being a re-hash it still felt new. I nearly spat coffee everywhere at Stiggie feeding the ducks - don't know why it made me laugh so much, but I'm still chuckling now! Agree with Richard that the Huracan isn't a true Lambo - way too "soft" looking. And almost as ugly as the new Elise :(

Guest was OK (never heard of him either), news made me laugh - 7/10.

7/10. I expected something better on the first episode, but at least the scenery saved the race... And the episode.

Nice bike RH.

Nicer russian girls... How do say how you doin' in russian?

Don't know the SIARPC.

Why use a Tweezey when there are better city cars?

I do wonder what's up with the Chilean flag pins they had on their jackets this episode.

I think its their revenge to Argentina for the Patagonia stone-throwing incident. Anyway, Jeremy said it in his colum back in december:

Well, I hope there is because we're just putting the finishing touches to what will be our 22nd series. It starts in late January and will see us endlessly thanking the Chileans for their help after the incident in Argentina, then thanking them again. Then, after we've showered praise on Chile and talked about the magnificence of its hotels, its food and, yes, even its weather we shall be cattle herding in Australia's Northern Territory, racing a hovercraft through St Petersburg, making fun of the French car company Peugeot, designing our own ambulances and trying, but not very hard, to rescue Richard Hammond who was marooned on a frozen bear-infested mountain in Canada.

Cheers

Are you Amish ?
Only way that could explain how someone has never heard of Ed Sheeran

10 seconds of watching an Ed Sheeran video on youtube tells me that there is no reason why I had never heard of Ed Sheeran before last night. It's likely I recognise a song or two, but it's nothing I'd have in my music collection.

Last edited:
Perhaps absence does make the heart grow fonder. I found that I was actually getting a bit excited again about the new series, and I really enjoyed this first episode.

I think the Top Gear team have handled their whole situation extremely well. If the start of the series had failed to inspire, I think they wouldn't have got another. As it is, I think that they've managed to get a bit of new life into the programme.

"Do you use differential throttle or differential pitch?"
" .... Yees!"

Classic 8/10-type episode.
I laughed quite a lot especially during the first half of the race.
IMO doesn't hold a candle to the London race. The speedboat tearing through the Thames was great to watch.

Ed, as a guest, wasn't good, wasn't bad. Lap was extremely slow and Jeremy should've pointed that out instead of handling him like a child, would've been funnier.
Stig though, his part in the race was slightly boring, and he should've been allowed to finish.

The best part is hearing the words "TEN WEEKS". The least we should expect after such a long break. Almost brings back memories of the lovely season 10.

Maybe coz the Chilean government saved the asses of their film crew when they got chased down by those insane Argentinian "war veterans" in Tierra del Fuego?

- - - Updated - - -

Judging by your name you may be happy to know that Kiefer Sutherland will be on the show next week.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I'm a bit disappointed that they used a slightly yellowish warm soft-glow filter for St Petersburg, which made it look a bit rubbish and too much like the vomit-inducing Top Gear Russia post-processing. The regular bluish ND gradient would have made it that much better. Probably.

An ok episode, Ed seemed a genuinely nice and open person, although I have never heard of him before either.