[22x03] February 8th, 2015

[22x03] February 8th, 2015

• Total voters
There's no consistency. You have a couple of good episode's and then they blindside you with Carry On Motoring.

Jeremy said it in an inteview, "we take a real problem and try to make a solution, but everthing goes wrong", and that is what we saw in this episode.

To summarized, its an entertaiment show with cars.

For me, a good episode.

Cheers

That episode was one load of dumb, pointless scripted joke after joke that served no meaning or purpose to anyone's life.

For that reason I loved it. 8/10.

Last edited:
I come here more than a little surprised. As someone who is renowned for hating heavily on this type of TG episode I surprised myself by really enjoying it. And I was all geared up to rank this alongside India and the trains fiasco as all time lows.

Unusually for this format they actually looked as if were trying to make a lot of the ideas work, however ridiculous, they were genuinely having fun (instead of pretending to) and even if they played to type as they usually do in these scenarios there was little of that "here's a gag that you can see coming a mile off". Yes the fail was there and of course it was planned but for once it was (mainly) only apparent after the fact and not 10 minutes before.

You took the words out of my mouth, mate. I was ready to cringe but enjoyed myself all the time. First time in a long while I actually saw some really funny TG humour.

I have no idea why there are so many negative opinions here but in more than one case I assume someone didn't really bother to watch it and pasted a text they already wrote before the show started...

I gave it 9/10 because a) it was a really good episode where they clearly made an effort and b) because I feel the need to counteract against all the haters.

Last edited:
I felt the Ricciardo interview was a bit brief and a little bit lacking compared to previous F1 driver interviews though glad he beat Hamilton's time, even though it got spoiled to me on twitter before I watched the episode. I can't say it was my favourite episode of all time but it was enormously entertaining, I found it all really very funny, this is the sort of episode that gets normal people watching Top Gear. I might have to read through the "reviews" again as I didn't find the news at all offensive for some reason maybe it was some reference that I didn't get.

I checked some of the reviews before I'd seen the show. When I saw the initial comments "Worse than India" and all, I thought it was going to be as bad as I'd feared. I'm glad that wasn't the case. The poll proves "you can't please everyone" but it's nice to see that there seem to be more people who enjoyed the episode.

Yeah, the end segment dragged a bit, and I don't know if we were meant to see the little "J" & "R" on the total board at the end, but I found there to be many more actually funny moments, as opposed to the cringe worthy moments found in some other recent 'challenge' episodes.

I dare say there are some who are either from a part of the world that are unfamiliar with the Thunderbirds references in this episode and think of the air force acrobatic team, or are too young to have see the Thunderbirds show, so here is a link to view a montage of the launches of Thunderbirds 1 through to 4:

http://youtu.be/X1faTFQ-5LQ

And an episode introduction:
http://youtu.be/QiRMkKuXYms

Last edited:
Just to flesh my response out a bit, my particular problem, is that despite lots in this thread harping that it reminds them of old cheap car challenges, is that it isn't like this at all.

The production values are so high, and the finished cars so good, I find the end results so very dull. James' tailgate? Funny if he had made it, not funny when it was made to be slow.

Jeremy's Porsche? Professionally painted, a bit meh. Hammond's BMW with hand-painted BMW racing stripes? Funny. Jame's half painted Jag from the same ep? Funny.

All of these sorts of challenges I enjoyed, I enjoyed because it appeared the three actually did the work themselves, and the cars were genuinely flawed. It felt real. This was just an episode of the TG sitcom, and I didn't enjoy it.

Although I was laughing uncontrollably when Hammond was tending to his patient in the stig lap (I lost it when he tried to secure the airway), I thought that the ambulance part was far too long. SIARPC was great even though I'm not a diehard F1 fan and really didn't know who he was. Really wish they could've shortened the ambulance segment and added in a stig hot lap. 7/10 saved by the laugh out loud parts and the SIARPC.

Hammond's patient deploy system made me fall on the floor laughing :lol:

What have I just watched?

After the first episodes, I thought TG was back in great shape. And then they propose this... Sure it had its moments, but it was sooooo unfunnily designed to exagerate... It was horrible, and I was hoping it would end.

Thank You Daniel Ricciardo for the only real good part of this episode. Too bad your great lap was featured in this episode.

I think we all have to accept that there will be one of these per run, that there is no point complaining about it and frankly compared to the cringe-fests like the Sweeney film or motorised trains I think this one was half decent.

This felt like some of the old cheap car challenges before season 14. The silliness/stupidity has been really toned down and they weren't playing to their caricatures of late. It wasn't going to be a sensible challenge, not with what they were planning to do. It didn't, however feel forced or contrived, in short they were genuinely ambitious but rubbish. I was expecting to really hate this based on reading some of the initial reviews, but it had me laughing and I enjoyed watching it.

Overall, in this series, it feels like they are making an effort to really dial back the the stupidity that had become part of the show. The presenters seem to be more genuine and less like the caricatures they had been playing more prominently in previous series.

Reactions: MWF
After I saw the first reviews I was worried but overall it wasn't bad at all.

Shame the ambulance part wasn't shorter and the show didn't contain any review.

OK from me.

One lesson I learned long ago: Never read a review of a film or TV show before you watch it, when you want to watch it. Always make up your own opinion with an old-fashioned firsthand experience.

This felt like some of the old cheap car challenges before season 14. The silliness/stupidity has been really toned down and they weren't playing to their caricatures of late. It wasn't going to be a sensible challenge, not with what they were planning to do. It didn't, however feel forced or contrived, in short they were genuinely ambitious but rubbish. I was expecting to really hate this based on reading some of the initial reviews, but it had me laughing and I enjoyed watching it.

Overall, in this series, it feels like they are making an effort to really dial back the the stupidity that had become part of the show. The presenters seem to be more genuine and less like the caricatures they had been playing more prominently in previous series.

I think you've hit the nail on the head there and that's why (to me) it felt more enjoyable than similar efforts of late.

Pretty normal TG episode. An interesting guest and a great lap time. Decent news and jokes but the ambulance chase was a little over the top. 7/10.

I normally don't read these review threads, but

I really enjoyed this episode. Yeah, you can tell parts were scripted, but it was still so enjoyable. I loved the challenge. It was ridiculous to begin with so I just settled in for some comedy. It might have been more enjoyable for me and most because my girlfriend/future-wife is an EMT and we have had quite a few discussions about EMTs. She also understands trail braking and likes to tell me about all the cornering she does. She's even brought the ambulance over to my condo on new years night because she wanted a kiss at midnight. I was pretty lit by then, so naturally my friends and I got to poke around in the ambulance. Was a good night, but I digress.

I had a lot of mouth-open, hands covering mouth laughs. The interview with Riccardo was fantastic as well. He seems like a really fun guy, so I'll probably be rooting for him this next season a little bit.

Again, the whole ambulance thing was just hilarious. Just suspend reality, sit back, and enjoy a trainwreck. :)