[22x03] February 8th, 2015

[22x03] February 8th, 2015

• Total voters
One lesson I learned long ago: Never read a review of a film or TV show before you watch it, when you want to watch it. Always make up your own opinion with an old-fashioned firsthand experience.

That comment is impossibly true. In fact, out of 101 votes, 66 people voted 7 or more. But when you read the comments, it?s rated as the worst thing since S14.

On a side comment, the slowest ever lap in Dunsfold was Hammond on the 911 Porsche Bike Wannabe. 18 minutes and some. On the other hand, the slowest lap on an internal combustion vehicle might be James? Hearsebulance.

Ahaa 7/10 !
Much better than expected!!!
The first two thirds were very decent, the last one was barely funny. But it's ok.
When James turned up in that hearse I laughed for several minutes and had to pause the playback. And actually, that's a brilliant idea... I think.
Good interview ! News as usual.

Oh and :

Last edited:
I actually really liked this episode, it was silly and scripted a lot but I laughed a lot during it.
They didn't hide that it was many scripted moments and that made it a lot better in my eyes.

It was on par with the Police car challenge, imho it was slightly better actually.

9/10 from me.

Agree with you. I really like this episode.

I understand the people who are here for the cars, but then you have people like me that like all the fun :)

Yeah, this one wasn't that great, but it was amusing. What I would like to point out though is the awesome set dressing or scenography. The production team really put in a solid effort into the meteorite landing site as well as the cars. They looked to be one of the best mods they've done, speaking in terms of the overall execution of the project.

whinge whinge whinge "ooh! I don't like TG humour" whinge whinge "so contrived!" whinge whinge whinge "worst episode ever!". Jesus Christ. Y'all sound like little kids having a massive temper-tantrum. Calm down. Can you not appreciate the effort the TG crew put in to this episode? That meteorite crash site, the extensive modifications made to the cars... Holy crap. It's a shame most of you didn't watch the last ten minutes because they were the best of the entire show. I don't understand you guys on here. If you want serious car reviews every single episode then piss off and go watch Fifth Gear. IMO it was a decent episode. I'll definitely rematch those last ten minutes. 8/10

I haven?t laugh so hard watching TG since Polar special and the channel crossing in amphibious cars, the last scene with Jame?s delivery of the patient actually made me roll on the floor laughing - and I am laughing now writing

I bet that they will also carry on making references to Chile for all 10 episode, which is epic. Pins, picture on the table, mugs...I love the the British sense of humour.

Meh, I guess I'm just stoked there's something car related out there to watch among all the mtv and network bullshit that I'm just not as picky as some people so I liked it, the part where they were going around the track doing "procedures", ugh, not that it wasn't funny but it was just gross, and why blur out the gentleman sausage as if any person above age 3 couldn't tell what that was lol

I have to give props for using joy division as a music choice but I did find it boring at times, the intro with the Stig driving the P45 or whatever was awesome lol

Ha! Don't Fear The Reaper; haven't heard that since Black Stig died.

Had some genuine lols, wasn't too bad. Don't fuck with the Honey Badger :p

I come here more than a little surprised. As someone who is renowned for hating heavily on this type of TG episode I surprised myself by really enjoying it. And I was all geared up to rank this alongside India and the trains fiasco as all time lows.

Unusually for this format they actually looked as if were trying to make a lot of the ideas work, however ridiculous, they were genuinely having fun (instead of pretending to) and even if they played to type as they usually do in these scenarios there was little of that "here's a gag that you can see coming a mile off". Yes the fail was there and of course it was planned but for once it was (mainly) only apparent after the fact and not 10 minutes before.

I'll echo that.

need some help!

what does Jeremey mean by "Ricciardo out-qualified Vettle in 11-8"?

1, does out-qualified mean "have a better time that the other teammate"?

2, what does 11-8 means?

thank you so much.

- - - Updated - - -

oh is that means..in qualified race, R beat V 11 times, and V beat R 8 times?

seems that should be right...

need some help!

what does Jeremey mean by "Ricciardo out-qualified Vettle in 11-8"?

1, does out-qualified mean "have a better time that the other teammate"?

2, what does 11-8 means?

thank you so much.

- - - Updated - - -

oh is that means..in qualified race, R beat V 11 times, and V beat R 8 times?

seems that should be right...

Qualification determines the order which the cars start on the grid, the car with the fastest time starts first in the race and the car with the slowest time starts last.
Ricciardo was faster than Vettel 11 times
Vettel was faster then Ricciardo 8 times

From the ep preview I wasn't expecting much, but I was pleasantly surprised and got a lot of laughs out of the episode. There was scripted tomfoolery in spades, but it was fun scripted tomfoolery. James pretending to be a Thunderbirds puppet had me in stitches.

Absolute rubbish.

Only reason I gave it a 2 and not a 1 is because 944 Turbo and audience question to Ricciardo (assuming it wasn't staged).

So why did I actually enjoy watching it?

Bear with me. It's not one I want to watch again, but aside from the opening scene, the scripting wasn't as bad as in previous "set" episodes.

I'm confused. :?

I think my brain wants to hate it, but my gut didn't mind. It actually seemed to evoke the oldest cocking about episodes, and those didn't feel forced.

Therefore, 5/10 just for the hell of it.

Last edited:
Not a very good episode.

- they usually try to at least pretend to take the challenge seriously, e..g the combine harvester, the hover van, electric car, at least have the right idea with the usual scripted fun. With the ambulances, its obvious its all total farce and zero actual thought.

- guest tonight was a annoying jerk you wanted to punch in the face, he was a juvenile infant with the IQ of a shriveled walnut. It was clear Jeremy wanted to spend no time with him and didn't even bother with any talk, it was hello, lets see your lap times.

I have now watched this episode twice the pure version and the US version here in the states. Both provided some pretty good laughs though it was scripted. I enjoyed the pure version way better than the cut up American re-edit. The one problem with the show that is starting to creep in is that all three shows now have not talked about any modern car test for which this series was conceived around. This was a motoring show that tested modern new cars for public interest and now and then did the one off adventure and comedy route.

Please Andy & Jeremy get back to testing real cars.

Thanks please keep up the hard work. :)

Reactions: TC
That comment is impossibly true. In fact, out of 101 votes, 66 people voted 7 or more. But when you read the comments, it?s rated as the worst thing since S14.

On a side comment, the slowest ever lap in Dunsfold was Hammond on the 911 Porsche Bike Wannabe. 18 minutes and some. On the other hand, the slowest lap on an internal combustion vehicle might be James? Hearsebulance.

That is because people don't use logic when voting, I once made a thread about it how it makes no sense to grade a clown episode a 9 or 10 because what would you then grade really good specials... The replies I mostly got was "stop using logic". Lots of people don't "downvote" because they're scared of negative rep.

Here it is: https://forums.finalgear.com/top-ge...o-actually-be-worth-a-10-a-40996/#post1202229

Last edited:
Rather mediocre. There were laugh-out loud moments, certainly (like when James pulled up with the 'ambulance' letters not mirrored and presumably didn't realise) but overall it all felt rather scripted. Which is, of course, what the show is now, but it's got to be done well if so and I don't think it was, particularly. I can't help but crave for the earlier cheap car challenges before they became self-aware. The police car challenge from series 11 was far more genuine, and funnier.

Points off for no power test (missing from the first two eps as well, bring it back for the love of God) and the cannon delivery system, but big points for Daniel Riccardo. What an astonishing lap.

6/10.

I can't remember the last time Top Gear made me laugh as hard and loud as this episode. A really long time ago, I guess. Thoroughly enjoyed this episode! I don't care whether its scripted or not, a laugh is a laugh. Some great moments there. Hammond getting showered in vomit, the tailgate of James' Hearse falling off at the start of the lap, Hammond's way of delivering the patient and the last race between Jeremy and Hammond. Daniel's interview was fun but like always, I'm least interested in the interviews. I much enjoyed the news! I am in the same club as Hammond when they were discussing the Evoque special edition. And for those who didn't notice: -

2llc2sz.png

I thought it was funny. Loved when James looked under the hearse for his pt.

Liked the guest even though I have no idea who he is. I like anyone who is really happy to be there.

8/10

Okay, I have to admit, the "Thunderbirds" homage didn't really work for me (apart from James' miming Supermarionation). Hammond's greenscreen barberpoling could have been cut as unnecessary facial gurning. The intro of the New York City / Jerusalem reaction times were necessary as a basis for comparison, of course, but the Star Trek Red Alert sound from Stig's visor was just silly.

Frankly, the boys are at their best when the stunts are staged to allow for maximum unpredictability (i.e. they had no experiences with the life dummies, they didn't know the timer sets on the victims, etc.) But that sort of staging has a lot of trouble getting through BBC H&S.

I'll call it a 7/10.