[23x02] June 5th, 2016

[23x02] June 5th, 2016

• Total voters
I'm sure I read somewhere around here that ep 2 was already recorded before they showed ep 1, and that any changes wouldn't be seen until ep 3?

If that's so then how could they mock people about complaining about CE shouting?

The biggest problem with new Top Gear is that it is only another car show.
There is no chemistry between the hosts at all, ie the thing that made Top Gear stand out and be interesting under the reign of Clarkson is gone.
The CE version of Top Gear is on par with Top Gear USA, Top Gear Australia and Fifth Gear, except its worse because of Chris Evans being extremely annoying.
He obviously has issues.

Last edited:
If that's so then how could they mock people about complaining about CE shouting?

Are you talking about "Tonight, I get even more shouty" if so why not do it, it's just a funny light hearted way of responding to the criticism.

Are you talking about "Tonight, I get even more shouty" if so why not do it, it's just a funny light hearted way of responding to the criticism.

You're missing the point. It's been stated that EP 1 and 2 were already recorded and that any changes, in a reaction to criticism, would happen from Ep 3 and on. But if he already reacted in Ep 2 then the above stamen is false.

You're missing the point. It's been stated that EP 1 and 2 were already recorded and that any changes, in a reaction to criticism, would happen from Ep 3 and on. But if he already reacted in Ep 2 then the above stamen is false.

I think that would be true about the in studio segments, as I understand it they would have been recorded before the 1st show went out. The location segments however, could have all been edited during last week to tone a certain person down a bit.

News reports coming out say the show lost 1/3 of its audience, down to 2.8 million last night.

Last edited:

It was a Voice Over They don't have to do that when they do the studio recording in fact it's entirely possible for them to record it after.

Really liked the McLaren segment. Evans needs a hard limiter on volume at all time (butterfly valve maybe?).

I find myself disagreeing with most of the views here, what an utter, coma inducing borefest, about round the SIARPC I just zoned out, checking my phone and skipping through a magazine, this has never happende before that I can remember, this was even worst than last week.

Intro segment was gringeworty 'sedated Evans'.....what is this? Improv class? Benny hill?

Mclaren film was decent, the subject matter and Button being the saving graces here, Button is a better presenter than Evans for Gods sake!

The Suv thing was dull, lacked any kind of spontaneity and you know it's fucking terrible when 2 of the quests are more entertaining than 2 of the hosts....Eddy Jordan looked like he was questioning what he was doing there, and frankly who can blame the man, and Evans was well.....Evans, thank God for Seasick Steve.
No ammount of cinemathograpy and fantastic landscapes could save this piece, but as always it was on par.

SIARPC, 4 of em? Really? You allready had 3 but you felt like you needed another plug? I assume that's why the American guy was there? I honestly can't remember if he plugged anything because I zoomed out at that point.....never liked SIARPC, this aint helping, and I don't care if you need some laptimes on the board.

This literation of Topgear remains as dead and lifeless as it was, no humour, no fun, no soul, no charisma, a bad xerox copy of a once great show.

2/10

Last edited:
I find myself disagreeing with most of the views here, what an utter, coma inducing borefest, about round the SIARPC I just zoned out, checking my phone and skipping through a magazine, this has never happende before that I can remember, this was even worst than last week.

Intro segment was gringeworty 'sedated Evans'.....what is this? Improv class? Benny hill?

Mclaren film was decent, the subject matter and Button being the saving graces here, Button is a better presenter than Evans for Gods sake!

The Suv thing was dull, lacked any kind of spontaneity and you know it's fucking terrible when 2 of the quests are more entertaining than 2 of the hosts....Eddy Jordan looked like he was questioning what he was doing there, and frankly who can blame the man, and Evans was well.....Evans, thank God for Seasick Steve.
No ammount of cinemathograpy and fantastic landscapes could save this piece, but as always it was on par.

SIARPC, 4 of em? Really? You allready had 3 but you felt like you needed another plug? I assume that's why the American guy was there? I honestly can't remember if he plugged anything because I zoomed out at that point.....never liked SIARPC, this aint helping, and I don't care if you need some laptimes on the board.

This literation of Topgear remains as dead and lifeless as it was, no humour, no fun, no soul, no charisma, a bad xerox copy of a once great show.

2/10

I agree with you.
This felt worse than the previous episode.
The McLaren bit was decent but if they had all those cars, why WHY WHY THE FUCK did you waste so much time with that bunch of people in a couch?!? This is Top Gear, but it felt like a damn radio show (unsurprising, considering who is the main host :rolleyes:).
Also, the SUV segment was way waaaaaay too long.
Not even Extra Gear was enjoyble, it was just damn EVANS EVANS EVANS EVANS again.
Ugh.
Next week will be the last chance I'll give this.

I think that would be true about the in studio segments, as I understand it they would have been recorded before the 1st show went out. The location segments however, could have all been edited during last week to tone a certain person down a bit.

News reports coming out say the show lost 1/3 of its audience, down to 2.8 million last night.

Is that a FACT?

[23x02] June 5th, 2016

To me the star in a ralley-cross car was what mostly ruined the episode for me. And with "ruin" I mean turning it from bearable to unbearable. Frankly I did some internet surfing in those 20 minutes or how long it lasted. Felt like 20 minutes.

So 2 films and an unnecessarily long star segment. Somehow previous Top Gear had more contents...

Is that a FACT?

Mr Evans seems to be a bit short on 'FACTS' so far this week although his tweets today seem to be just as defensive "The way Top Gear is being viewed is repositioning the way television is consumed. Last week nine million viewers. This week we shall see." and "Overnight television viewing figures for Top Gear have never been less relevant. Obviously some newspapers prefer to live in the past."

He's forgetting his own employers are plastering this figure over their own entertainment page so they seem to think the numbers are big news. I would have thought the fact 1/3 less people could be bothered to sit down and actually watch it when it was on compared to last week is quite important.

Last edited:
Gave it a 7. Mainly because I skipped over most of the "SIARPC" bit. Way too many guests, Evans' shouting and too long.

The McLaren bit I really liked. South Africa was okay. Overall, an improvement over last week.

Definite improvement, 7/10 for me. SIARPC is too long, I think that's universally accepted. Not sure the rallycross hot laps are a good idea. If MLB is really only contracted for one season, the Beeb need to get on that. CE is too loud and yes is struggling a bit to find his style but I think he'll come good. Who would want his job? Replacing JC? Thankless task. Still, he could improve his fortunes a little by toning it down a bit. A lot of the criticism towards EJ seems a little harsh, as far as I know this is his first attempt at this kind of telly. He did OK. McLaren part was properly good. The South African section was a little disjointed but mostly because the chemistry isn't established yet. That takes a bloody long time. It took CHM at least 3 seasons. Can't be forced.

Promising.

I'll join the "Better-than-last-week" gang on this one.

However, to quote Jeremy Clarkson : "Mind you that isn't saying much because, other things that are [...] nicer [than the previous episode] include ... Tuberculosis, and being on fire.. Stuff like that."

I gave the first episode a 2/10, so this one gets a 3/10 from me.
As someone said, it's just another car show. Top Gear wasn't. It was THE car show.
I don't know if it's any use expecting it to even half-fill the shoes it's inherited.

I still like LeBlanc, but as light as his American accent is, it still doesn't feel right. Take when he says that a car costs this many pounds... It just sounds off.
Evans .. well... Nothing that should be said hasn't been already.

One last thing. The stars segment lasted from 27:30 to 42:15 believe it or not.
I still remember people complaining about some old SIARPC segments being too long!

I still am not a fan of Chris Evans and I still don't agree with having an American on a show that is built in part on its Britishness but there were definite signs of improvement.

And please don't be dumb enough to complain that Top Gear is too much like Top Gear. You can't reinvent the wheel and likewise you can't change an established format too radically. If Top Gear were a car in its 2002-date iteration then it would be a Golf GTi or a Land Rover Defender - the same basic design just tweaked a little with each new model (season) and evolving. The GTi didn't necessarily improve with each new generation and so it was and will continue to be with Top Gear

CE is contracted for 3 years but could shuffle off sooner and MLB is only contracted for one season as far as I can make out, Harris and Rory are establishing themselves on Extra Gear so short term pain may turn into long term gain.

I really dig Rory on extra gear, him and Harris are the only ones that feel authentic and playful. Even the interaction between Rory and his guest felt natural because the guest was a car guy bullshitting about cars and not trying to shove Mission Impossible 7 down my throat...

Worst part:

Evans - "Hammerhead has never been more fun!"

... compared to the one other time you drove around it??

I just don't like the language that makes it sound like he's been there the whole time, nothing to see here, Jeremy who?

Otherwise, episode was slightly better than last week, but still pandering. Trying to invent/force spontaneity and jokes, rather than letting it happen naturally.

Nothing new from me. Much better than last week but still resembling "weakest" episodes of Top Gear of seasons 19-22. (I've) seen once, fast forwarded, and will not return to this ep.

1. presenters:

Matt LeBlanc - OK (sound editing improved, thanks) :)
Sharleen Spiteri and Seasick Steve - OK
Eddie Jordan - like he wasn't there
I didn't know Tinie Tempah but he was OK as well.
Chris Evans - less shouty but still irritating. That man should, for God's sake, PLEASE, learn how to pronounce 'Porsche' and really stop himself from shouting. Is it only a feeling or does he - in his voiceovers - really speak "like...artificial...speech...generated...by...a...computer...from...individual...words"?

2. contents:

CE in bed brought by MLB - good, funny
Cinematography - odd and blurry colours which I hate since TG's Season 19; this is something I would love to miss (from TGT too)
McLaren - if Evans stopped being Evans and talked more like a human being, it would've been a great review
Offroads - felt forced and slightly unfinished with best bits edited out, also too long

Last edited:
Watching it right now, this is my stream-of-consciousness (in 480p since I concluded from the last episode that this show needs more convincing to make me download the 1080)

That studio intro with the hospital bed was so cringy.
The McLaren film was great, the cinematography team has still got it. Evans was still trying too hard to be Clarkson. Seems like they found an old Clarkson script and made Evans read it word for word. Though it's always nice to see Jenson <3
They should drop that choir Stig introduction. Makes it look like a saturday morning children's show.
In the SUV film, Chris looks just ridiculous. Eddie is currently my favourite part of the show. The banter though is awful, again - emulating CHM without any of the chemistry.
They should stop doing multiple SIARPCs at time. The whole segment's format is awful and should be scrapped.
The SUV segment was quite enjoyable.

Overall, this episode was a definite improvement. Sack Evans, put Harris in his stead, and this is going to be a good show, not bargain-bin CHM.

Last edited: