[24x03] March 19th, 2017 - DB11 vs. S63 / GTI Clubsport

[24x03] March 19th, 2017 - DB11 vs. S63 / GTI Clubsport

• Total voters

Car(s)
Audi S3
Discussion thread for last night's episode.

My opinion: Weakest of the season so far. Films were okay, the best one being the one about the GTI Clubsport. Studio guest was simply bad. No karma whatsoever, you could really feel that they were desperately looking for something to say. Should have skipped her altogether. 5/10.

Thought all the outside stuff was not bad at all but the Aston segment was a bit overdone in the end and the GTI race around the Ring looked as if all the other cars had been on a sighting lap.

The studio segments were bad and the whole thing just lacked atmosphere. I said before this season started that they needed a properly experienced presenter and after show 1 that the guest segments will only work with larger than life or very funny guests. It was blatently obvios to see that both are needed for this to work.

They are trying hard and I can say I've enjoyeed it so far more than might have been expected, but the studio segments need sorting out badly.

7/10

Last edited:
They're obviously still finding their feet but I still enjoyed it. I've seen worse car chases in Hollywood movies than the DB11 v S63 chase - still can't work out where they filmed that one but it looked pretty stunning.

And the ?1m 'Ring lap? Even the other half who isn't a TG fan at all said she thought it was contrived. Doable with time yes, but in one 8 minute lap? I rather think not.

6 out of 10. The extended star segment is still dragging the show down.

Last edited:
Enjoyed it!
And loved Matts throwback to Friend at the end of the Fiat segment :lol:

Looks like it's around Lipci, Montenegro
JgOsJmw.jpg

Yeah I figured the Balkans, it just wasn't a part I recognised or have visited. Thanks.

I really enjoyed the filmes, the DB vs Merc was so freaking beautiful and i really start to like the harris/leblanc chemistry. Some good jokes aswell (the hillary jacket..hahaah). They finally stop trying to be like old top gear and do there own thing. The studio stuff needs sadly ALOT fo work, but lets see how i feel about that, when they have a interesting guest. I gave it a 8 out 10.

They really need to put the celebrity back to their own short discreet section. This format might work ok if there is an interesting guest but 90% of the time it will just be awkward. Most celebrities aren't interested enough in cars for it to work.

Started good, ended good (first negative review on the 124 I saw), but the middle was meh. It is good to see they are having fun, though.

To me, the most annoying part of the episode wasn't the guest, but the N?rburgring film. Sabine being overenthusiatic so much it hurts, Rory needs something that fits his character which they haven't found yet, and come on, even with Sabine at the wheel a Golf GTI will never blast away all those cars. On the other side, even I did overtake a Ferrari on the ring. In a Focus non-RS-not-even-ST. Said Ferrari was collecting flowers however, as were all the cars in this film.

6/10.

Episodes is a good show but Tamsin Greig was just a horrible guest.

5/10 this one was very meh to me.

As I said in the last episode review, the new guest part is heavily dependent on the guest being enjoyable, and since I didn't know who the lady was, it did nothing to me. The fact that it's so long and split in two parts means that it's harder to skip, unlike SIARPC which was a big 10min block I could just skip to the end

Everything else was great, 7/10

I enjoyed everything but the star segment, and I tried to skip as much of it as I could , they really should go back to the old format, it worked, there was no need to change it up.

Solid but yes affected by the guest ( this needs to be a lot shorter)

Genuine LOLs at the line 'suspects are Joey from Friends and a man in a bad jacket'

I have to vote this one a 6/10. Some constructive criticism for the episode:

-The celebrity guest is really awkward. Having them sit through multiple bits and even partake in a bit themselves just seems really rough. I was completely uninterested in this week's guest and she detracted from the overall epsiode.
-The aston chase was a scripted movie-esque scene done right. Old top gear and TGT tried to do this quite a bit, but they took it much too seriously. There seemed to be equal parts real-driving and acting/scripted events (like the police) so it didn't feel overdone. Maybe the ending scene was a little much. Having all the police cars surround the boys and immediately call it done from there would be a slightly better end. No need to draw out the acting. More real driving, overall very well executed.
-Overall not enough Chris Harris. He is the real star of this series, as much as Joey is sort of the current front man. BBC: MORE CHRIS HARRIS. More of Chris sharing his opinions, doing more reviews and bits that he wants to do.
-Sabine is always 100/100, but the whole idea of passing faster cars in the golf is sort of rubbish. After the first pass, I was like "Come on, nobody is going to be pushing" Too scripted. Let Sabine show her skills in a more natural way. More of her driving the piss out of cars around the ring. Perhaps even make a Sabine-Ring segment a regular thing. She is golden and so is that track, utilize them both more.
-Extra Gear's behind the scenes content is excellent. The R8 capturing footage of the aston was epic, really cool stuff. More B-Roll stuff like that, it looked great. Make this an hour if you have the content, I bet you do. More Chris Harris.

Overall BBC, you have a winner. Please listen to my advice and carry on! :)

I get why they want to keep the celebrity guest for a longer time, playing videos while they sit is just not the way to do it.

They should have kept the news and let the guest be a part of it (My suggestion).

Top Gear France are the ones who make the best out of the guests and they do a real good segment with the news too. Philippe Lellouche like Clarkson knows how to make a good interview.

Like everyone here, the Studio segments are cringe worthy. Can't they find Car lovers among British celebrities? Plus the fact that none of the presenters are good interviewers also lets the long segment down. The films, as usual, were really good. The best thing about the new TG is that the cars are still the main focus around which the show revolves rather than an entertainment show with some cars thrown in.

- - - Updated - - -

One thing I forgot, does anyone know if Matt LeBlanc was doing his own driving during the Aston Martin chase scene?

Studio segment felt more awkward than in previous episodes, but rest of the stuff was good. So i think 7/10

I say we give them a break about the studio bits. The Evans series will have done a great deal to put guests off appearing. I think this format shows to potential guests that they do get an input beyond a plug and being patronised by an ego and in time gearhead celebrities will be keen to sign up to appear. The issue to my mind isn't the format as it is but the guests they can persuade to appear.

There are enough gearhead famous people around, and once they realise they can be an integral part of the episode in which they appear rather than just a foil for an egomaniac host then I suspect that whole segment will improve dramatically. #

In the meantime give these guys a break. An impossible act to follow was made almost insurmountable by the dreadful decision to appoint Chris Evans as the main host. I think they're doing just fine. Give them constructive criticism, but for crying out loud don't kick them where it hurts. This current incarnation of TG is already better than much of the last few seasons of CHM TG and if we allow them time to grow then I reckon they can hit the high points that we all remember so fondly from years past.