[2x09] February 2, 2018

[2x09] February 2, 2018

• Total voters

CrzRsn

So long, and thanks for all the fish
Car(s)
13 Ford Mustang GT, 17 Ford Fiesta ST
That wasn't a full-cringe-cocking-about main segment this time. That was very, very funny.
I really enjoyed this episode. I laughed a lot throughout.
9/10 because I seldom enjoy CFO.

I found myself a bit annoyed at their self-built amphibious vehicles not being discussed in more detail, especially that the building process itself was pretty much offscreen magic. Apart from that, very good episode.

8/10.

Their starting to get in their stride now last two episodes were good and this was no exception.
Forme 9 out of 10.

Maybe it has something to do with them staying in one place but they definitely have gotten back into their old shape. 9/10

7. A couple of points:

-- I think JC has belatedly realized that he can't do the "sexist pig" riff anymore during the CVST segment. It didn't come off very well, even the "acting embarrassed" bit, which is why I deducted points.

-- Thought about giving a point for the expression on Penn's face during the CFO. But decided not to. (And that was a very nice lap, even in the snow.)

-- Stray thought: Of all the "shed-built" projects the lads have done throughout their TGUK and GT runs, the Pond Bug has got to be the best looking. Which makes me suspect that an outside contractor did it.

-- I'm glad the producers decided they don't need to "build a persona" for Abbie Eaton. The point of the segment was to made the cars stand out, and they're doing that.

-- A good blend of blokeyness and proper respect for history during the "record-setting" segment.

TopGearNorthAmerica;n3545383 said:
the Pond Bug has got to be the best looking. Which makes me suspect that an outside contractor did it.
There's also the fact that they did not show anything between the two donor vehicles standing side by side and the finished product...

I've disliked penn and teller for years because of penn jillette mouthing off on things he knows little about but I hold dear. However, on this occasion he was well behaved and so I give him kudos for that.

And this is the first time I've heard any sound come out of ray teller's mouth.

Last edited:
I would still have a XJ220 though

DanRoM;n3545393 said:
There's also the fact that they did not show anything between the two donor vehicles standing side by side and the finished product...

They didn’t show the whole construction of their original amphibious cars while on Top Gear. I guess not hiding the fact that they consulted outside people made up for it? I don’t deny the fact that it’s frustrating their need to hide construction of these projects (moble fuel filling) but, they don’t have time for it with how the shows being edited at the moment.

9/10

My wife and I really enjoyed it. That Bond Bug was pretty spectacular! Even with that drag Jeremy's amphibious car should of gone faster than 3mph. I suspect a problem with the throttle, sandbagging, or perhaps improperly setup. Or maybe a combination?

I got excited like an 8 year old child when I saw the XJ220. One of my favorite old cars and was even more surprised to see the EB110 with it. Both of these were lusted over by my generation of petrol head teen/pre-teens The EB110 though is twice to three times the price so I'd have the XJ220 just solely based on price...though I would take it anyway. It was one of the best looking Jaguar's ever. If my lottery winnings ever surpassed 20 million after taxes I'd for sure buy one. And I mean, did you see that drag race? Some of us have been wanting to see a drag race between these two for literally a couple decades. It did not disappoint.

While the celebrity segment is way better than last series I still do not really care for it. Feels forced and a bit talk show-ish. I'd rather them spend that segment's time on a proper car review like early TG UK.

I also wanted to point out that I'm happy Jeremy isn't hell bent on constantly insulting or degrading Americans on this show. It is a breath of fresh air. I know that was mostly for television but it got annoying towards the end of TG UK.

MacGuffin;n3545380 said:
Maybe it has something to do with them staying in one place but they definitely have gotten back into their old shape. 9/10

Yes, I guess that going to work in your backyard has some appeal.

93Flareside;n3545419 said:
I don’t deny the fact that it’s frustrating their need to hide construction of these projects (moble fuel filling) but, they don’t have time for it with how the shows being edited at the moment.

Maybe the actual planning and construction of these more elaborate projects could be the subject of a shorter secondary video delivered via Amazon or DriveTribe? I recall chuckling even through the initial planning of TGUK's Reliant Robin Space Shuttle effort ... James' presence would be essential, however.

They could show it on the current show's format, however, if they dumped the (non-) celebrity thing. I'm fairly sure no one likes this segment until (finally) someone they already know and like is invited. Even then, I'm not sure I want to see and hear them on a car show ... Ross Noble excepted :tvhappy:

I usually enjoy the Celebrity Face off but this time I was bored. First of all, I don't like magic. I do get surprised by some acts but in general I'm just not interested as most of them are fake. Secondly, the celebrities themselves. I only know Dynamo's name but otherwise I have absolutely no idea who they are. The most boring CFO of the season according to me

Anyway, moving on, conversation street was good this time, as it has been so far. The amphibious car challenge was actually very good! I wasn't into it at first but I ended up really enjoying. But I wish they had shown the building process properly as they used to on Top Gear. Obviously the producers know that we know the trio actually didn't build the car themselves but still they could've shown at least something. Anyway, I enjoyed it.

Finally, the highlight for me was the Jaguar XJ220 vs Bugatti EB110 review. I've been eagerly waiting for this ever since I saw the two cars in the season 2 trailer. And I wasn't disappointed. Being a 90s kid and a supercar fan, the XJ220 was one of my favourite cars at that time, and still is. I think its the most beautiful Jaguar ever made after the E-type, but sadly one of the most forgotten supercars too. I'm glad its been getting recognition recently. Same for the EB110, it just screams 90s so much! That was the era of some really crazy supercars which even the modern day Koenigseggs and Paganis pale in comparison to. Hope to see more such reviews in the next season.

Gave it 9/10

Phantastic review of the Jag XJ220 and Bugatti EB110, great idea to show the magic of them as well as the technical progress since they were built.

Another Ok Episode.

-XJ220 vs EB110: that was very good. The Jag is such a beauty, damnnn. The radio reference, hahaha. (Does anyone knows what clarkson special that was in?)
-Conversation Street, was good
-C.F.O was boring.
-The amphibious car segments were ok.

R: 7/10

Elijah B.;n3545396 said:
this is the first time I've heard any sound come out of ray teller's mouth.

I wonder if they actually would have preferred that squeak to be left on the edit room floor (spoils the trademark a bit...)

Elijah B.;n3545396 said:
I've disliked penn and teller for years because of penn jillette mouthing off on things he knows little about but I hold dear. However, on this occasion he was well behaved and so I give him kudos for that.

And this is the first time I've heard any sound come out of ray teller's mouth.

MossMan;n3545562 said:
I wonder if they actually would have preferred that squeak to be left on the edit room floor (spoils the trademark a bit...)

Guys there's LOTS of footage of him talking out there.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=raymo...w=1600&bih=763