360 having trouble with discs

Phila

Car(s)
1995 Subaru Legacy, 2008 Subaru Legacy
My 360 has started making a sound like the disc is being spun around but that its still resting on the tray.

It happens when I first turn on the 360 with all discs, but it is worst with GTA IV. With other discs the sound will go away and seem normal, but with GTA the noise will persist and cause the game to not load or freeze in the middle of playing.

The 360 has not been moved at all since April.

It doesn't appear to be doing any damage to the discs, but this ain't good.

Do you have it horizontal or vertical?

Hmm. I was going to suggest that it might be wear on the inside of the discs (the bit that makes contact with the spindle). But maybe not.

Could this be reason enough to use my 2 year replacement plan at Best Buy?

Ugh.. its now happening with any disc. This thing is just about unusable.

New question: If I go to get a replacement do I have to give back the hard drive as well?

No, you should be able to keep the hard drive. I would get it replaced ASAP.

Yeah I'll be going as soon as I can.

Anyone deal with Best Buy with something like this before? I've never had to actually use any of my replacement plans.

Do I just show up with the console and receipt, or do I need to pack it back up in the box with all the crap that came with it?

Based on all the answers given there, they will let me keep it.

Ok, cool. I just saw the first post, but didn't read the rest of it :)

I had the same issue with mine a couple of months back. It got progresivly worse as time went on. After doing so research, I found I had Toshiba drive. This drive is the crap drive. Microsost went to a much better drive made by Samsung. You probably have the Toshiba drive. So, yes, get it replaced with a new one if you can.

I went to Best Buy today.

I got the 360 replaced with a brand new unit with no problems. I brought in just the 360 itself, if I would have brought everything and packed it in the box it would have been a simple exchange of everything, including the TWO FREE GAMES THE ELITE NOW COMES WITH <_<

Its ok I have Forza already and the other game I wasn't interested in, I just wanted a 360 that works.

It was manufactured on 4-22-2008 and it is unbelievably more quiet than my old model. Even the DVD drive is quieter when opening or closing the tray.

To top it all off, since the price of the 360 has come down in the year since I bought it, they gave me the difference on a Best Buy gift card. :)

Hooray for good customer service and a console that works :cheers:

Good to hear :)