3DMARK how does your computer score ?

Viper, You really pissed me off, I got my system 2 months before yours and I didn't even know that the 8800GT was coming out so I got the 8800 GTS instead, you've got a card that was $100 or more cheaper and faster than mine.

:lol: :hug:

What's with the CPU tests? I can only get a maximum of 2fps, it just bogs down completely...:blink:

That's the point. It's designed to be a complete CPU whore in order to test how powerful your CPU is. Plus, with how fast CPUs are improving, they don't want you to be getting 500 FPS a year from now. ;)

So - I have stayed outta this thread because my whole system has been down this week because of a blown power supply. But last time I ran this test, the results were crap. This time is no different.

2196958718_238ba24b61_o.jpg

System:

Intel 965WH motherboard
Core 2 Duo Extreme Edition
Evga Nvidia 7900GT
2GB RAM
XP 64bit

I just reloaded the whole thing recently too. So, what do you guys think is the cause of the slowdown? Is my graphics card really that bad?

System:

Intel 965WH motherboard
Core 2 Duo Extreme Edition
Evga Nvidia 7900GT
2GB RAM
XP 64bit

I just reloaded the whole thing recently too. So, what do you guys think is the cause of the slowdown? Is my graphics card really that bad?

What C2D do you have? And yeah, the video card is the bottleneck. You did decent on the CPU tests (0.543/1.238 FPS compared to my 0.762/1.225 FPS), but the GPU tests were pretty low in the FPS department.

Is your motherboard and video card AGP or PCI-E? If AGP, then you're kinda screwed, but if you have PCI-E, then it's an easy fix if you wanna drop like $250.

Personally though, I'd stick with your video card for a little while longer. It's not horrible by any means.

I have the X6800. The motherboard is PCI-E. I built the system in the 3Q of 2006 if I recall correctly.

Another quirky thing that is going on, and this might be related, I dunno - when I play games, such as World in Conflict, or BF2, textures start dropping out, or stretching to inifinity, etc. More artifacts start coming in, and then the whole system will hang or reboot. This is pervasive through an OS reload and different driver versions. I thought it might be bad system ram, but I ran a test a while back and came up empty...

I have the X6800. The motherboard is PCI-E.

there must be something wrong with your setup
i get 3473 points with a 7800GT & AMD 3200+ & 2GB ram, yours should be clearly faster
do you use the latest drivers ? is your video card overheating ? is xp64bit that slow ?

do you use the latest drivers ?

I wonder if he's using the stock Windows XP ones or something... :lol:

(The latest and greatest from nVidia will make a HUGE difference. Hell, I remember upgrading from one nVidia version to a newer one a while back and getting like a 10% increase in FPS in most games, heh.)

OK, new results, this time with FAH turned off. A little better.

2197877125_ffbca65e6f.jpg

I actually sat here through the tests this time, and the same weirdness with the graphics was present in the tests that I see in my games.

Sounds like overheating or something. What's your video card's control panel say it's temp is?

IIRC 11762, not at home atm :)

E6750 @ stock clockspeed
4GB GEIL PC6400 CL4
ASUS P5K Mobo
EVGA 8800GT SSC @ 700/2000

Will clock my E6750 & put the 8800GT @ 720/2100 later to see if it improves :)

Sounds like overheating or something. What's your video card's control panel say it's temp is?

IIRC, I think it is 140F at idle. I will turn on logging and repeat the tests.

BTW, I turned off write combining based off something I read on another forum. Got 4589 on that run!

I just downloaded and installed 3DMark 05 (i'll get 06 later), however when I double-click on it, opens up the start screen and freezes my whole system. Then my display driver fails and it goes into blue-screen :(

Last edited:
4631, since I don't have an 8800

Damn, i didn't know the 8600 was THAT slow. I run an E6600 at stock, DDR2-800 at stock and a GeForce 7950GT at stock (or at least the stock OC at which XFX shipped it) and it scores 1000 points more than your system.

Wow, that is scary. Anyway, i'm considering the EVGA step-up program, so i'd get an 8800gt 512 mb for only $130 or so.

edit: Or, for only 90 bucks more i could get an 8600GTS, which has a faster core and ram than the 8800gt (675,2000 to 600/1800)

Which one? :?

Last edited:
edit: Or, for only 90 bucks more i could get an 8600GTS, which has a faster core and ram than the 8800gt (675,2000 to 600/1800)

Which one? :?

:lol: No.

8800 GT > 8600 GTS ;)

lol. but still, is it really worth $100-$120 (depending on if i get the OC'd one or not)? I don't really do much gaming, but i'm pretty sure it would make things better. BTW, anyone with vista know what it gets for an experience rating?

If you don't do much gaming, then don't upgrade, your card is fine.

If you are gonna upgrade, spending money for a minor upgrade (8600 GTS) isn't worth it. Spend the money for a 512MB 8800 GT. It'll run any game on all high.

Wow. I being that the EVGA Step up is only $40 more for the 8800, and that much performance increase, I'm gonna get the 8800.

+1 to you for not letting me waste my money