4 Days: Utah to Montana and back - No 56K

Blind_Io

"Be The Match" Registered
DONOR
Car(s)
See signature
Here are photos of our trip. I will get to doing descriptions and telling the story later today. Until I get back to edit this post, enjoy the photos. I'm sure there will be more added as we get them from our friend and off Kiki's phone.

First fuel stop, Day 1. We stopped at a popular motorcycle spot that is near the start of two canyons. They have a nice picnic area with tables for gear. Also, some people use them to keep food off the ground or something.

Sorry I didn't take many photos the first day (Kiki might have some more) This is after lunch on the Idaho/Wyoming border in a little living-ghost-town called Freedom. This old garage is a spot the Caynyonchasers stop at for a photo op - so why not stretch our legs? This spot is just after Tin Cup Canyon, a fun road of fast sweepers and a couple tighter bends.

Stretching

After a trip I end up with lots of photos of my bike with slightly different backgrounds.

Artsy!

Apparently the building next door used to be a billiards hall.

Around the corner is an old filling station. Inside you could see some old vending machines ($0.15 for a Coke) and an old soda fountain.

DAY 2
The beautiful visitor's center at Teton National Park

And looking the other way...

Yellowstone National Park. This view is just after entering the park from the Tetons.

Time to photograph the bikes again. Oh, and my riding companions.

The Continental divide. Notice the Ducati had to stay on it's own side.

Came upon some stopped traffic, that can only mean one thing in Yellowstone. This was a 7-point elk just feet from the road.

Sometimes Yellowstone feels like Disney Land crowds, but in cars. Also, these bison can get very irritable and have been known to charge cars and tourists.

These people are too damn close. I could hear the bison on the left snorting and pawing even with my helmet and ear plugs in. I'm glad I had a bit of zoom on this camera but next time I'm bringing the long lens.

Now they are starting to get the idea that the bison is unhappy. I thought I was about to see it go Bowling for Tourists. People forget that these are wild animals and they can be very dangerous.

Another bison coming down from the hills. Everyone was looking at the herd in the distance on the other side of the road and most missed these close encounters.

Stopped in Cody near some Harley Davidson touring bikes in their native habitat. Actually we saw a ton of Harleys on this trip, most riders were very nice and waved to us - some didn't. On these long remote stretches of road there is much more respect for anyone making the long haul between towns, regardless of brand.

Stopped near the top of Bear Tooth Pass - possibly the best, and most beautiful road I've ever ridden. Here we are just shy of 11,000 feet in elevation and well above the tree line.

A ribbon of bliss through a carpet of wildflowers and glacial lakes.

Time to take another shot of my bike in front of a different backdrop.

Getting my good side?

Sergey and Kiki catching up. Apparently Sergey had to stop and play in the snow before that last corner.

Kiki finding a picturesque parking spot.

Trying to get the sunny side of the bike.

Our two machines together.

Finally, a shot of Sergey where he isn't making some kind of hand gesture or goofing off!

Red Lodge Montana taxi service.

Fine, here's a photo of a car.

What the hell is going on?

Another hot rod?

Yesplease!

Artsy.

DAY 3 Yellowstone II: The Revenge.

This guy was hanging out right next to the road. I had my camera slung across my chest and took this mostly-blind with my helmet on and my hand on the throttle, ready to run if he took exception to my being alive.

Lunch stop

And Sergey with some questionable decisions.

We thought this gravel bar at the lake would make a fun shot.

*sigh* Some people you just can't take out in public.

On the way out of Yellowstone there was another traffic jam. A black bear was foraging just off the road way. I mentioned earlier in the trip that I really wanted to see a bear in the wild. I rode past the bear and got the camera out to take some shots. I made sure to keep a line of cars (mostly) between me and the bear. While I was taking photos a wildlife adventure guide told me to "get back in my car." For a guy who is supposedly a trained tracker of wild critters, he wasn't very observant. Once I got my shots I decided it was time to move on and leave the bear to his dinner. We still had to get back to Jackson for the night and then home the following day.

More photos once I get them from the other cameras that were there. I didn't break out the Nikon at every stop.

Last edited:
Awesome pictures, I have to ride out that way sometime!

Updated the first post with descriptions. I will add maps of the route when I have time and hopefully more photographs.

Aww, what a fun trip! The Grand Tetons are amazing - gorgeousness!

Great pics! Looks like all y'all had a great time. I went to yellowstone numerous times as a kid and it never gets old. We will have to all team up and do some touring in the future! :D