I have it and will watch today, skipping through it, it didnt get my hopes up and the action looked a bit like those totally impossible moves you see in kung fu movies, but nonetheless...

MAIM. KILL. BURN.

Also, started the latest Horus Heresy book, Nemesis, and i have The First Heretic as well, should be good :D

Last edited:
whilst looking at some Doctor Who stuff, i came across this. an interview with Sean Pertwee (son of 3rd Doctor Jon Pertwee) where he talks about his role in the 40k movie.

Sean Pertwee talks Doctor Who and Warhammer
HIS dad was Doctor Who, for goodness' sake! He used to ride round in Bessie, kept a giant space spider in his bedroom and had the coolest collection of memorabilia. There was a gargoyle over his bed and at night, the creature's eyes would glow with evil. Sean Pertwee, you can take it for granted, had an exceptional childhood. Now the 46-year-old son of the late, legendary Jon Pertwee is making a sci-fi foray of his own in Ultramarines: A Warhammer 40,000 Movie, based on the tabletop game. A special edition DVD cut of the film is just out, with Sean voicing the CGI character of Brother Proteus, who must lead his unit when its commanding officers are killed.
Making the film was, he says, an eye-opening experience. "I turned up at the read-through and couldn't believe my eyes," he says. "I walked through the door and there was Terence Stamp and John Hurt. To be honest, I was terrified! We were shooting at Abbey Road as well, which in itself was amazing. It was a bizarre but great experience, especially meeting and working with those guys."
Although he's never played the game, Sean says he soon got into the Warhammer zone. I was mindful that the movie was made specifically for the fans so we had to get it right. "A lot of it went over my head but all we can hope to have done is our job. It's up to the fans whether they like it. "They gave me a starter pack and now my son is keen on it," he adds. "Being a typical eight-year-old, it's not about him painting the pieces, it's about getting me, his dad, to do it."
Of his own dad's Doctor Who fame, Sean recalls: "As a kid I used to spend every Saturday hanging out with the special effects guys. So they gave me things like Auton hands, which have little guns inside them and stuff. I had a weird gargoyle in my bedroom from an episode called The Daemons. You could plug it in and his eyes would light up. I had a giant spider as well, and props from an episode called The Green Death. Dad had Bessie, the old car the Doctor used to own. I drove around in that many, many times. It was very cool! Now my own son absolutely loves Doctor Who. He's a huge fan. And he gets a lot of respect at school because his grandad really was Doctor Who!"
original article: http://blogs.sundaymercury.net/anorak-city/2011/01/sean-pertwee-talks-doctor-who.html

(Spoilers abound, read at own risk)

Okay, i watched it yesterday, it wasn't half bad, but more than the lacklustre animation, i felt they took a few too many liberties from what we all have seen from the books and games and codex that most of us have read. The story is very typical and very nice, Dan Abnett is an excellent writer, his books along side CS Goto and others are gripping and typical, but they managed to somehow ruin his otherwise excellent story by deviating from what Space Marines are and do. This very much feels like Marvel giving away the rights to someone else to make their movie and the studio taking too many liberties, and true fans not liking the non canon way they've done things, I know i'm being anal about it but damnit some of us are proper fans and there's some things even the most unlearned person knows about warhammer that this movie JUST DOESNT FOLLOW.

a] No matter how disobedient or unique the character, they never talk back to their commanding officer the way they did in the movie, that's what years of training are for, to weed out the ones who can't follow orders, im not saying be an automaton, but even today's Navy wouldn't stand for such behaviour.

b] How blind and useless are they having come from such an illustrious chapter that they missed the guy dead on the battlefield surrounded by the eight pointed star of Chaos, even the captain and the apothecary, apparent veterans, missed it.

c] Also, coming from such a chapter as they've chosen, the supposed best chapter, none of the soldiers looked fit to be in the ranks of any first founding chapter, at the point they first entered battle, they're supposed to have years of field training as scouts and then become full marines, these bunch look like they've been injected with the stuff but none of the training.

d] While people are shooting at them, half of them are standing and looking around, lolwat. And once they know there's been murder and war about, they're all walking around like Cool Luke, none of them scanning for anything.

e] When Proteus says he sees something, like any other typical movie, the senior officer would scoff as he did, but the marines are trained to be a bit more than that, they should've listened.

Overall, the music had a good orchestral, gothic feel, apt for such a movie, the animation was disappointing, most of the marines looked like 6' men in big suits, kind of like Starcraft, not 8' tall superhumans with power armour. The marines themselves actually felt just like regular soldiers, being killed off as in any war, and i think that's the issue, they treated this movie like just another war movie and saw the marines in the same light, bodies to the effort. All of them are wooden and not even strict of themselves, so they're both non engaging but still dont have any air about them.

Since GW signed off on this, they knowingly let this travesty take place and i put the full blame on them, i would've put good money and bought the dvd had it been worth it, but it so isnt, i'd rather read the books and play the currently terrible games than ever consider rewatching the butchering of everything WH40K that this movie showed. What they assumed was that the watcher was a fan of the 40K series, but then instead of repeating facts that we know about space marines, they showed all the wrong things that space marines DONT do, you cant have it both ways, either you show a newbie your version, or you show a fan canon material

Edit: What would have made a more apt movie, was an origin story, a boy who's chosen to join a chapter, taken through years of burtal tests and modifications and becoming a battle brother and so on. I would've watched that with more enthusiasm because then they couldn't take as many liberties and ruined it.

Last edited:

http://www.spacemarine.com/buy

Debating which pre-oreder to get. Free game on THQ.com, Space Wolves armor through game stop which would be my favorite chapter with Black Templar armor too, or Blood Ravens Chapter pack on Steam. Fuck onlive, wal-mart and best buy. Amazon maybe, but the gift isn't anything to write home about.

I'm looking forward to this game, it will be the first game I've bought new in a long time.
Black Templar armor might be cool but I'd have no interest in Space Vikings (unless it was HH era Puppies, I'd be much more interested playing as them) or Blood Ravens.

do we know what the requirements are as of yet?

some of the latest novels are quite good, especially the Space Marine battles series, have yet to read the three latest Heresy novels, falling behind a bit :/

That looks awesome, especially like the different chapters, Crimson Fists for me. :D

This is probably going to be the first new game I've bought in a long time.

looks good, certainly willing to give it a go. has anyone played that Warhammer 40K: Kill Team Arcade game that came out a week or so ago?

not sure about it and was hoping others have played it and have a verdict.

Completed the original Dawn of War 2 today. Really enjoyed the campaign of the game and started work on the first expansion pack Chaos Rising. Been looking forward to this one a lot since it involves Chaos Space Marines. I don't know what it is about them, but i think they are probably my favorites after the Space Marines.
After that, onwards to the Retribution pack and playing the Imperial Guard. also looking forward to that since i've been reading the exploits of Commissar Gaunt and the Tanith First & Only.

I played through the campaign and found it a bit mediocre, but Last Stand is pretty cool. Played that a lot, the items really do add a lot of variety.

Bear in mind, I know nothing of Warhammer lore so my opinion is based purely on the game's own merit, a lot of the cutscenes and story was probably lost on me.

Last edited:
I enjoyed Chaos Rising, especially since I got all my guys terminator armor and they rained hell upon all my foes. I finished the Space Marine Retribution campaign and I have to say, I don't like the campaign method nearly as much. I came to enjoy the character progression in the first two campaigns, but the Retribution campaigns are more RTS oriented (not a horrible thing), character progression is much simpler, and each mission is far more tedious than before (start at point A, work your way around this massive map to point B, done).

I enjoyed Chaos Rising, especially since I got all my guys terminator armor and they rained hell upon all my foes. I finished the Space Marine Retribution campaign and I have to say, I don't like the campaign method nearly as much. I came to enjoy the character progression in the first two campaigns, but the Retribution campaigns are more RTS oriented (not a horrible thing), character progression is much simpler, and each mission is far more tedious than before (start at point A, work your way around this massive map to point B, done).

Totally agree. I liked leveling my guys and trading armor from Commander to Tarkus then Avitus and Thaddeus. Never bothered with Scouts, and got rid of Thaddeus when I finally got me some Thule Dreadnought action. Just sit back and watch a Carnifex get flattened.

Totally agree. I liked leveling my guys and trading armor from Commander to Tarkus then Avitus and Thaddeus. Never bothered with Scouts, and got rid of Thaddeus when I finally got me some Thule Dreadnought action. Just sit back and watch a Carnifex get flattened.

Same method i had. The Drop Team has always consisted of the Commander, Tarkus (especially getting him in some Terminator gear), Avitus and the Thule Dreadnought. While not the most accurate, the amount of firepower that can be brought to the battlefield is astounding.