~425MB Top Gear rips?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viper007Bond

Chicken Nugget Connoisseur
STAFF MEMBER
Car(s)
2008 Dodge Viper, 2006 MB CLS55 AMG
I've kinda brought this up before, but with Top Gear quickly approaching, I wanted to make a final decision on this.

What size rips of Top Gear should be done? Currently we're doing 350MB for both shows, but Top Gear is actually longer at 60 minutes rather than Fifth Gear's 45 minutes (due to commercials).

That means that the quality of the Top Gear rips are not as good:

Code:
Fifth Gear:
350MB / 45min = 7.78MB/min

Top Gear:
350MB / 60min = 5.83MB/min

7.78MB/min * 60min = 466.67MB
That last line is what the filesize would need to be in order for Top Gear to be the same quality as our current Fifth Gear rips. Now that's a weird size, something like 425 will do. Plus, a DVD is 4.3GB, so that means a DVD will nicely store 10 episodes of Top Gear.

What do you guys think of this? Please vote in the poll on the main page.

Oh, and before anyone asks, no we will not be doing 700MB rips. Scene rips are already that size, it'd take us so much longer to release them, and it's overkill at 11.67MB/min.

A DVD can fit something like 4.36 or 4.37 GB, so in order to fit 10 episodes, the size would need to be something like 445MB.

Re: 450MB Top Gear rips?

Re: 450MB Top Gear rips?

Viper007Bond said:
What do you guys think of this? Please vote in the poll on the main page.

Oh, and before anyone asks, no we will not be doing 700MB rips. Scene rips are already that size, it'd take us so much longer to release them, and it's overkill at 11.67MB/min.

Can't seem to find the poll you mention?

If the 700mb rips wont be available any longer I vote for the 460mb versions.
If there will be 700's out there to download then the smaller size would probably help those with small harddrives or limited download capabilities.

BTW thanks to all that put the effort into getting these episodes out there for the rest of us. :cheers:

i'd be happy with 425 - 450 MB rips (since the size of DVDs is right around 4.3GB usable). I haven't really noticed any problems with the quality of the 350MB rips, but then again, i'm not that picky

ESPNSTI said:
A DVD can fit something like 4.36 or 4.37 GB, so in order to fit 10 episodes, the size would need to be something like 445MB.
D'oh, that's what I thought at first, but I couldn't remember. Shoulda gone with my gut. <_<

700 ideally but 450 or there-abouts will be great :)

Not too concerned about if they fit on DVD or whatever...

I think 525mb makes the most sense, I know it hasn't been mentioned, but the season is 8 episodes long, so a size around about this should be ideal for a DVD. Personally, I don't mind as I can watch it live, but it would be nice for archiving, I guess. Then again, when I archive, I tend to make a DVD that can be played on all DVD players and therefore would only put 2-4 eps to a disc anyway.

Another reason I'd go for 525mb, that I've just thought of is that it's directly in between the 700mb and 350mb - top stuff! :)

SL65AMG~V12~612BHP!!!!!!! said:
700 ideally but 450 or there-abouts will be great :)

Not too concerned about if they fit on DVD or whatever...
The scene rips will still be 700MB and people are welcome to get those, I just think that's overkill and I want a smaller alternative for people. Just how small is the question.

actually, and i may be alone on this, id rather have the TG size the same and the FG size smaller

hokiethang said:
i'd be happy with 425 - 450 MB rips (since the size of DVDs is right around 4.3GB usable). I haven't really noticed any problems with the quality of the 350MB rips, but then again, i'm not that picky
x2

hokiethang said:

Same - I'm quite happy with the 350mb rips, but if the size goes up to around 450mb I wouldn't complain.

They seem okay the way they are. Unless there's a noticeable improvement in video and audio, 350MB works for me :)

If video and/or audio quality will be increased, I am all for it.

jayjaya29 said:
If video and/or audio quality will be increased, I am all for it.

Second that too. Size is not a factor at all. :)
Thanks for bringing us with constant updates on this 2 famous autoshows. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.