Ownership Verified: '77 Zastava 101 "The Flying Shite"

It looks better in the pics than in reality, more patina, I'll get some pics this weekend.

This is the coolest car on the forum. Such a clean looking machine.

And so damn cheap. If I knew I could get that much car for the money, I'd have done the same. :D

It was voted the coolest car in the Ringmeet Awards.

Also :+1: for sticking with the nickname I gave it. AKA the Dizastava (not mine).

I'll come to Romania again and get an old Dacia, then we can drive it to another ringmeet, kay?

:mouse:
I just looked at a local car sales sites, finding an old Dacia doesn't appear to be that easy :(. I think most of them were crushed in a "Cash for clunkers" type program, so finding a nice old Dacia at a decent price will be hard.

Are there young people appreciating stock old Dacias yet?

Go to France, find an old R12 and rebadge it?

Keep on looking!
I will keep an eye on enthusiasts forums.

Are there young people appreciating stock old Dacias yet?
Not many, just recently the old Dacias started to be seen as classics. Actually all the classic car scene in Romania is quite small.

Go to France, find an old R12 and rebadge it?

Probably it would be easier :lol:. The first Dacias were just R12s assembled here and then rebadged.

Or maybe you want a Dacia 1100 (Renault 8) :D
Dacia_1100.jpg

Last edited:
YES, please find an affordable 1100!!!

We still have some time to look...but even the second one isn't too bad, if it runs.

- - - Updated - - -

We could even take it to the finnish ice track meet, it's RWD after all!

We could even take it to the finnish ice track meet, it's RWD after all!

I'd normally call that overly ambitious but the car has made it this far after all. :lol:

I was more thinking of bringing a Dacia 1100 to icetrack meet, since it's rwd. ;)

Also, suggested by my mechanic friend, who has the post facelift 1980 model, he says that you should fit front A-arms from the pickup version, since they're stronger/stiffer.

Sweet, and good advice, I'm still not sure which route to go, maybe you can help:

- keep it as stock as possible whilst sorting out all the mechanics and electrics, no performance mods, drive it as it is

- keep it as stock as possible blabla but drop in a bigger engine, 5-speed gearbox, drop it a bit, upgrade all the suspension components and fit wider wheels

What do you all think?

I'd say:
- bring the suspension up to snuff (new bushings, shocks, etc...),
- check the steering rack,
- fix the exhaust
- put in the bigger engine with the five speed.

But keep the appearance stock. I wouldn't overdo it on the wheels, maybe 155 tires (some brand name ones that actually are any good). I would not lower the car at all.

The car needs to be 95% stock appearance with the dirty bits upgraded. Remaining 5% is YOLO.