Ownership Verified: '80 BMW 316 e21 - Alpinweiss: Because why the hell not

Thanks guys, it has been a lot of work but there is more to come, before the season I'd like to complete the swap and have it mechanicaly solid for the new adventures! :) I already started to pile up the parts needed.

It's been a long time since I've posted and I promised I'll write about the process so here it is - next stop was assembly.

The exterior of the car was put together in the workshop so I could drive home and my lights would work, only drivers seat was placed correctly, everything else was lying in the car. I live in an appartment and the parking lot was later on occupied by me but people didn't mind because I wasn't noisy and they don't complain about my car (they don't know that an exhaust upgrade is on the way after the swap :lol: ). So I placed everything on the ground and bought insolation that I needed to cut to make fit (Armaflex- fire, noise and moist ressistant). I did that and started to put the car together, than a friend came around and helped placing some stuff as well so it took a few hours and it was done.

This part was a pain the butt

and pain the the finger

Finished:

After this me and my girlfriend went on a picnic and after all the food I drove the bimmer home. Driving to the picnic I had to make a few stops and mend some stuff like wire the lights correctly etc.

This is it for the restoration.. BUT WAIT; THERE'S MORE! :lol:
Stick around, another one is comming since I'm in a process of swaping the engine and there was work before that could even take place.

Thanks for reading. :)

What engine will be swapped in? :)

That seems to be the best choice cost and weight wise. Noice.

Thanks Mitchi, I hope it will fit in nicely, it will be close to firewall so the plan is to get a nicely balanced car with somewhat good amount of power and remain drivable and able to even daily maybe. :cool:

Work continued a few weeks back when engine was removed and there was space and time to take care of the engine bay. With the motor inside there was no room and I saved this job for now when there is a swap on the way. So for the start I had to get rid off the battery box, welding the holes from where I drilled out spot welds upfront and grinding everything toget a smooth surface. There was a lot of grease and firt of all I removed all the gunk in the original paintjob then I removed all the elements inside (windscreen washing system,cables, lights etc. Then grinding begun and getting to a smooth finished. I resprayed area behind the lights and resprayes engine bay and clean all the components before fitting them back inside, cables got new insolation tape etc and after that I put sealing compound on strut towers and other places that originally had it but was in bad shape or cracked. So I'm slowly getting close of swaping the engine and getting ready for the season! :)

Here are some pictures taken by me and my friend. I have to say that it was great mood working on the car, me and a couple of friends and my girlfriend were working on it, listening to music, laugh and have great time and it truly was one of the greatest car related moments in my life, it was so relaxed and spontaneus and it truly meant a lot to me, having fun with friends shering the same passion and working late into the night - but we had beer so we weren't tired. :D Huge thaks to nicjasno (Ale?) that was a part of this - it was great my friend, thank you for the help and company! :)
Pictures:

Before shot:

Took care of the mask and lights background:

Resprayed:

Final result:

I'm pleased as the car was painted outside the workshop and everything was more or less made my amateurs that like cars and to this as a hobby. Looking at the end result and the before picture shows contrast and really shows that details are those, that are important.

Thanks for reading!

Great work, fellas. I've really enjoyed following along on this. Makes me look like a chump for letting my Bronco sit for a year.

No worries Stig, you can't all do at once, my e21 also sat for a year, before it was taken care off. But it is hard to do the first step... I think we all understand you :D

Hi guys! It's been so long since I posted anything about the old bimmer so here is an update!
The engine has been swaped to m42b18 engine out of an e36 318is - it should run about 140hp and thats about the same amount as a stock 323 in those days and I'm 2 cilinders short! :D 5 speed gearbox with and mechanical speedo conversion made and lightened singlemass flywheel has been fitted. A bunch of new seals and parts were put on the angine as I wanted for the engine to be serviced and running nicely when dropping it in. The car is well balanced and it drives well (it was good enough to get me my first speeding ticket) :) It's not original but it is a light engine and it makes decent power and I think that it is a good choice for the e21 platform. A few pictures taken by user nicjasno:

Cheers!

:thumbsup:

Thanks guys, we're trying our best that we can with the time and money and skills :) There is still a long way to go :p

My oh my, it has been 2 years since my last post here ? Well the car is still being driven, it now has popout rear windows, all bushes are now polyurethane, I got my hand on a restored 40% LSD that still waits for the install. a few days ago @nicjasno helped me out and we changed leaky fuel lines and now it runs great again. I am thinking about selling it and going to a new project but I kind of like this setup and the car now. ? I will add a few pics from this year :

This is the first I'm seeing this, why have you not been at a Balkan meet already? :-D

Car looks amazing. What is it with Slovenians and white BMW's?

Yea, @nicjasno has been tempting me to go but I didn't take the time but seeing the pictures and hearing the stories I have to come next year (if I'll still have the car). I've been to Croatia a few times on Krk with it and it was a nice trip ...
I think we are trying to be the opposite to other balkan drivers of black Mercedes-Benz but are still the same douchebags on the road ?

Car was sold. Guess it's time for new projects / advantures. ?