A Compromise

DubyaStep

Tampa, Florida but now in Casselberry for school
Car(s)
Ford Thundercougarfalconbird
So, we read alot of complaints on here after almost every show about how "that wasnt a proper test" or "nobody here can afford that car" or even "they wasted 10 minutes of my life with that film". well, i wanted to throw out something very simple that came to me while i was "doing paperwork". A while back they did a film about the greatest driving road in the world (S10E01) and then another later on (S14E01). In each of them they were in supercars. There have been countless "cheap car challenges" and stuff like that, the list goes on. Now, i know they have done test with Mustangs and Mercedes and Vauxhall and so on on the tracks and driving through towns and so on but what if they did one of those great searching road trip in a normal car. Has top gear ever done a road trip in a normal persons car?

The point im making is we read alot of complaints and some of the older members tend to have to remind people on here that if you want "factual reporting on cars then watch Fifth Gear". What would it take to make everyone happy? My idea is simple, How about a "Great" or "epic" trip but keep the rules realistic for the rest of the world. the car must be 4 doors and it must cost under $30,000 and it must be NEW. They could even do the "take the money you have left and modify your car" thing.

Anyways, i would love to hear what everyones ideas are here or even what cars would you pick if you took my trip? where should the race/trip be?

Anyways, just a thought.

Has top gear ever done a road trip in a normal persons car?

I know you didn't miss the episode three weeks ago. You know, when they did a road trip in a Citroen DS3, a Renault Clio, and a Fiat 500.

I know you didn't miss the episode three weeks ago. You know, when they did a road trip in a Citroen DS3, a Renault Clio, and a Fiat 500.

Im thinking more "family car" though. Like if it were the US then a Taurus vs Malibu vs 300 or something not hatchbacks.

Im thinking more "family car" though. Like if it were the US then a Taurus vs Malibu vs 300 or something not hatchbacks.

So it would be something like golf, focus and astra. Or insignia, mondeo and passat?

In Europe those hatchbacks are family-sized. Their "mid-size cars" hold the market position that the Impala and Avalon do here, ie bigger than most people's cars.

ok, well, good to know. So what would be a "realistic" challenge? I really wanna see them on a "greatest road in the world" kinda thing in something everyone can drive. see them fall in love with an afordable touring car is maybe what i was meaning to say from the beginning.

Maybe if i ever go to europe again it will help me decide what to rent?

TG have never really concentrated on average saloon cars, even though there are some good ones out there they aren't really that interesting. The closest thing they've done would probably be the Brera/TT/350Z feature a few years back, and they did drive normal cars (albeit very different ones) on their fuel economy drive though Europe to Blackpool.

With the right cars and the right location it could work, I'm not sure the Isignia, Mondeo and Passat are the right cars though.

Now that Sik's sort of clarified things, I'm thinking something like Southeast Europe, starting in Albania (the cars could be said to have been "procured" for them by their friends in the Albanian Mafia) and ending up at the Trans-unspellable-on-a-US-keyboard in Romania, but in cars that natives of the area would have. The problem is that I can't think of anything other than the Dacia Logan. Maybe all three of them in one Dacia Duster? Someone from that area would have to give guidance.

You know, this sounds more like something that TG Mag would get its teeth into.

Yeah, I think this is something more for the Mag than for the show. :nod: That said, they've never done a road film where they're all in the same car.

That's because (I feel) most people would say that's boring. I know I would.

I like watching TG reviews of "normal" cars but I prefer to them be short, sweet and factual. Maybe, occasionally, with something interesting to spice them up like Jeremy did in his Fiat review from season 16 (though that was FAR overdone and in the end, trite).

I think I'm fairly average in regards to the TG segments that I like and those are: Bonkers super cars doing bonkers things (McLaren MP4-12C, Lotus T125, Jag/GTR reviews were the best in years) and cheap cars doing ridiculous things (all the cheap car challenges). Something "reasonable" isn't what we want. Or at least it isn't what the average viewer wants. I'm sure some people do.

On the other hand, what I REALLY want is a repeat of the Renault Avantime vs. Mitsubishi Evo segment done properly. And by that I mean, a different car, but the same situation/challenge. They should actually TRY to make it faster rather than wasting money/time like they did. I doubt they could have ever beaten the Evo's time but if they had done it properly it would have been damn close.

The point im making is we read alot of complaints and some of the older members tend to have to remind people on here that if you want "factual reporting on cars then watch Fifth Gear". What would it take to make everyone happy? My idea is simple, How about a "Great" or "epic" trip but keep the rules realistic for the rest of the world. the car must be 4 doors and it must cost under $30,000 and it must be NEW. They could even do the "take the money you have left and modify your car" thing.

i don't want to watch a review of the new golf, astra, whatever. who cares about that, you'll get what your friends think is cool anyways. and go read a blog from a serious car critic if you want to know how good/bad a car is

Last edited:
Narf, you give the phrase "pimp my ride" a whole new meaning.

:lmao:

Spreading the Skodavirus one post at a time... that could be the name of an actual epidemic, has the ring of "Ebolavirus" to it.

Spreading the Skodavirus one post at a time... that could be the name of an actual epidemic, has the ring of "Ebolavirus" to it.

Except that the Skodavirus is a lot easier to keep in Czech.

One thing for sure, the Skodavirus is not a retrovirus. That way, it'll be easier to treat.

My idea is simple, How about a "Great" or "epic" trip but keep the rules realistic for the rest of the world. the car must be 4 doors and it must cost under $30,000 and it must be NEW.

I prefer the "Great" and "Epic" trips with cheap old cars that might occasionally break down :D
The trips with expensive new supercars are OK, But i feel a Top Gear epic road trip would be slightly less entertaining if they did it in new 4 door family cars.