A Forum Star In A Reasonably Priced Car [Suzuki Swift, flying start]

I just realized that is an actual replay file. How did you copy that from the PS3 and how does one go about loading that onto a PS3?

Awsome, thanks. I just found the export feature in the reaply theater, and then I found the import button but I could not get it to work.

I put your replay onto a thumb drive, and then copied it to my PS3. But when I went to import the file in the replay theater it could not find it.

So next I exported my replay onto my thumb drive, plugged it into my computer, and then overwrote my replay files with your replay files to see if I can get the game to think it is one of my replays. When I plugged it back into the PS3 the replay folder was listing as corrupted.

So my guess is that the game right now only allows you to export and imports replays as backup, and can not be shared among different accounts.

Would you happen to be able to make a video instead? I want to be able to copy your lines :D

Last edited:
Awsome, thanks. I just found the export feature in the reaply theater, and then I found the import button but I could not get it to work.

I put your replay onto a thumb drive, and then copied it to my PS3. But when I went to import the file in the replay theater it could not find it.

So next I exported my replay onto my thumb drive, plugged it into my computer, and then overwrote my replay files with your replay files to see if I can get the game to think it is one of my replays. When I plugged it back into the PS3 the replay folder was listing as corrupted.

So my guess is that the game right now only allows you to export and imports replays as backup, and can not be shared among different accounts.

Would you happen to be able to make a video instead? I want to be able to copy your lines :D

Try this: http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=138805

That is what I tried doing. When I copy your replay data from the usb drive to my PS3 is does not put your replay into my GT5 Folder with my saved games and my replays the game has exported.

Under the Saved Data Utility I have two folders. One is called "Gran Turismo 5: Replay", that folder contains my replays and my GT Career save file. Your replay is under another folder called "Gran Turismo 5 Replay (Updated Version)". It looks like the import function of the game is only looking in the "Gran Turismo 5: Replay" folder and not the "Gran Turismo 5 Replay (Updated Version)" folder.

I wonder if this has to do with the region of the game since I am in the USA and you are in New Zealand.

Last edited:
Me and Loz tried it day 1, you can only import your own replays, which makes no sense. But this is PD.

Dangit, that is what I was afraid of.

I hope they implement the Youtube upload feature soon.

I just did a 136.629 using dj.TAKA's starting position in his screenshots. The difference between lining up with the yellow line versus lining up with the windshield wiper is about 2 cars lengths by the first turn. At the checkpoint before Hammerhead I was .497 seconds ahead of my ghost replay of my previous time of 137.291. By the follow through checkpoint I was .549 seconds ahead. I ran an almost perfect lap (Well, at least perfect to me) and I did not make any noticeable big mistake. I'll put up a video in a bit.

Cold Fussion any chance you could upload a replay?
dj.Takas start, i'll have to check before I put it in the first post. Just in case there's a huge disadvantage/advantage.

Cold Fussion any chance you could upload a replay?
dj.Takas start, i'll have to check before I put it in the first post. Just in case there's a huge disadvantage/advantage.

I don't have a video camera.

I just found out how to get the replay to show the full lap without cutting off the beginning or end so that you have time to show the starting position in a video.

Save your replay as a ghost replay, then it will actually play the replay from the moment the time trial starts and until after you cross the finish line.

I will record my 137.291 and 136.629 using the ghost replay to show the starting positions I used.

Edit: it seems that somehow the ghost replay for the 137.291 time is still cutting off the beginning and ending of the lap. I do not know how I was able to do it with the 136.629 time. Video is currently being processed by YouTube.

Last edited:
How about we just say that the target 0-100 time is 9 seconds? It's something we can check with close enough accuracy with the datalogger and just have the fast times post an image of the the datalogger showing the 0-100 time with the laptime in the picture as well?

I just found out how to get the replay to show the full lap without cutting off the beginning or end so that you have time to show the starting position in a video.

Save your replay as a ghost replay, then it will actually play the replay from the moment the time trial starts and until after you cross the finish line.

I will record my 137.291 and 136.629 using the ghost replay to show the starting positions I used.

Edit: it seems that somehow the ghost replay for the 137.291 time is still cutting off the beginning and ending of the lap. I do not know how I was able to do it with the 136.629 time. Video is currently being processed by YouTube.

But the replay starts immediately and you have no time to pause it to show the starting location?

Last edited:
But the replay starts immediately and you have no time to pause it to show the starting location?

For some reason, the ghost replay for my time of 136.629 gives me plenty of time to pause and change camera angles. The replay actually starts back when the computer still have control of the car. Still is still about 6 minutes or so before the video finishes uploading to Youtube then it will process it.

Here is the video

For some reason it would not let me change camera views while I had it paused. So I changed immediately to the dashboard view right after unpausing it to show how it is lined up with the in cockpit view. You can paused the video at 56 seconds to look at it longer as it is only a split second before the car starts to move after that.

With my time of 137.291 the top of the yellow line was lined up with the bottom of the 0mph on the hud, and in the video above of my 136.629 the yellow line was above the 0mph on the hud. I do not think this translates into a .662 second difference, as the rest of my lap of 136.629 was faster as well.

I am not sure how to calculate the difference. Could we just find a base 0-62 time like Cold Fusion suggested, and then find the time difference between each person's own 0-62 in their replay and then add or subject time depending on the difference? WIll this help in leveling out the times without making everyone redo a lap in whatever new starting position is chosen? Or will that not work as the car travels a lot faster than 60mph by the time it reaches the first turn.

In the video above, I hit 62mph (100kph) in 9.165 seconds.

Last edited:
In a real car I can feel the vibrations through the seats. I figured that getting a full force feedback seat that moves and everything would be a lot more expensive. I figured a force feedback throttle (One that vibrates) would be simpler method that may provide feedback when accelerating. Accelerating from a dead stop in a straight line in GT5 there is no feedback through the wheel so I figured something would be better than nothing. It would be cool if the game at least sent feedback for torque steer to the wheel for high powered FWD cars.

I guess force feedback is the wrong word really, something more like a rumble pack from the N64 days.

One feature I did like in Forza 3 was the wheel rumbled when you spun the wheels. But the Fanatec has dedicated rumble motors for that. I doubt that GT5 supports that.

One feature I did like in Forza 3 was the wheel rumbled when you spun the wheels. But the Fanatec has dedicated rumble motors for that. I doubt that GT5 supports that.

Something like that would be cool. I have only noticed that the steering wheel rumbles in GT5 when on a dirt or snow course, but it's rumbling because of the road surface and not from the wheel spin.

Sorry for my first post about this not making much sense :p

136.571 using Aston Martin's starting position. I can get it even faster as I was able to get through the first turn a little faster on my 136.629 run.

[video=youtube;-5PWJbmvlAI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5PWJbmvlAI[/video]

My shoulders are sore and Scott Pilgrim vs The World just came in the mail from Netflix so I am going to take a break for today.

Nice laps fellas. Regarding the start position it's Astons call which one we should use. I just posted that one as it doesn't involve switching cams I'm i'm pretty sure it's dam close to the Actual lap start. Not sure if a foot or so equlivates into a 2 car advantage into the first corner tho.

Let us know which one we should use so I can have a crack it this. Cheers. :)