A Forum Star In A Reasonably Priced Car [Suzuki Swift, flying start]

We should either establish a very definitive starting point, or just change to a flying lap competition (which i'm fine with). Just one car length difference in starting position is significant.

We should either establish a very definitive starting point, or just change to a flying lap competition (which i'm fine with). Just one car length difference in starting position is significant.

The top times are all very close in starting position. I used Dj.Taka's position, 0-100 in about 9.3 seconds.

[video=youtube;-5PWJbmvlAI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5PWJbmvlAI[/video]

IMO that is the start that should be used, it's central and the timer starts pretty instantly.

I can't do the followthrough flat-out, the car just understeers forward. :D
Cold Fussion which was the start you used for your newest time?

Last edited:
Ok sorry for the delay, dj.Takas start line isn't that central and has an advantage IMO.
My reasoning is the yellow line method the timer starts when you're in single digit MPH, Takas way you're in double digits. I think Takas way, may give you a few .0xx advantage. Which sounds ridiculous, but I think it would give an unfair advantage.

Today i got my G27! After a "few" hours of practice (not gonna lie) i got a time of 1.37,612. I used the windscreen wiper technique for my starting point. Soo, that's my time with G27 + Paddles. Looking to improve tomorrow before i go back to army for 9 days! :cool:

EDIT: Took a few runs more and got my time down to 1.37.262, also i started using the yellow line below the kph digits. The timer starts instantly when the wheel spins.

Last edited:
Ok sorry for the delay, dj.Takas start line isn't that central and has an advantage IMO.
My reasoning is the yellow line method the timer starts when you're in single digit MPH, Takas way you're in double digits. I think Takas way, may give you a few .0xx advantage. Which sounds ridiculous, but I think it would give an unfair advantage.

Is there any way to find out what the advantage really is and then add it to the times? Or maybe do two charts for each starting position? I have only seen dj.TAKA and Cold Fusion say they used dj.TAKA's start position and I don't know how long it would take to ask everyone to tell us where they started, so that may be a futile task. Or maybe just reset the board entirely? ( I know many people wont like that as I am sure everyone tried hard to get their current times) except for those who can show a replay or data log of their start position. ( the speed line is a good indicator of how fast they were going when crossing the start line and should show if they were closer or further back from the line)

If only the data logger let you rewind and fast forward andnshowed more detailed x and y axis that would help with reading the graph.

I'm just going to use whatever's posted in that video. Pity we just cant have a stationary start.

It's ridiculous because it is well inside the time you gain from a bad or a good start. The time you might gain is within 1 tenth, and you gain much more time by simply being faster everywhere else.

Maybe a petition to Kazunori-san is in order to get him to put in an option for a standing start? :D Also to make the replay cameras the same as the shows :p

Please don't think my above post is a rant or a whine. I am having fun with this competition, and I don't want any of my suggestions to end up ruining other people's experience.

It's ridiculous because it is well inside the time you gain from a bad or a good start. The time you might gain is within 1 tenth, and you gain much more time by simply being faster everywhere else.

I think your time would still be the fastest even if you did start at the yellow line. I do not think there is a .4xx (The time difference between mine and your time) difference between the different starting positions. I have no issues with Aston keeping your time on the chart.

But for future laptimes, I think it would be best to stick with one starting position as that would just make things much more simpler and would avoid discussions like this that just make my brain hurt.

Now, tomorrow I will try and copy your line you took at the second to last corner. The car is a bit more lined up through the turn and you were able to carry more speed. Thanks for posting your video as it has helped me.

Last edited:
Here's an idea: Why not just use a flying start? It would a) remove the need to position your car exactly right before starting a lap(which is tricky to do correctly and which I personally find annoying), b) remove the risk for drivers unintentionally getting an unfair advantage and, in the worst case scenario, getting their lap times scrapped (which, I'm willing to bet, is not going to motivate you into having another go) and c) remove(or at least reduce) the necessity for checking replays for whether a lap is valid.

I know it would not be accurate representation for what they do in Top Gear but as long as PD does not implement a proper standing start there is no way to ensure that this system is fair to everyone. I assume the point of the competition is, first and foremost, to have a bit of fun and I expect the arguments about starting position to be anything but fun (except for the readers who are not taking part).

Agree with the above. Like the rest of the lap it's up to the driver to get the best of a good start.

Doing this only really effects the lap untill the first corner.

Ok I did it both ways in a Kubelwagen, dj's way is .7xx faster by the first corner, .9xx by the hammerhead and 1.268 at the finish. I don't know what else to tell you guys.

Ok, I just did some quick math.

I compared a ghost replay using dj.TAKA's starting position and then raced against it using Aston Martin's position. By the 50 meter mark on the first turn, the ghost car was about 1 and a half car lengths ahead. I was traveling at 82 mph. So I just divided the distance of 1 and a half car length (222.6 inches) by the speed and found out that it would take another 0.154240576 of a second to travel 1 and a half car lengths at 82 mph. Now, the ghost car was actually traveling at 83mph, but I don't know how to compensate for that in this simple equation. SO we could just add .154 to the times that used dj.TAKAs starting position and then from now on line up with the yellow line.

That I think is the easiest method. While a flying start would be ok, that would mean having to delete the entire board and starting over again. Also, it doesn't take that long to line up at the line, just a few seconds.

Last edited:
Whats Up you gear heads =)

ok i can now post my first lap times =) , i bought a gt5 on the 24th , then i bought a ps3 on the 27th of november , 7 days later on the 3rd of december my PS3 Died , eating up my gt5 cd , =( well finaly i got a new PS3 and a new GT5 Game =)

ok so i did five laps all from Standing start , and with just 5 laps with the Swift using a G25 with Stick shift and cockpit view i managed a 1:38.898 =)

Picture010.jpg

OMG, I cried inside for you. I would be extremely pissed if that happened to me.

Were you able to get Sony or the store you bought the PS3 from to help you replace the console and game?

Here's an idea: Why not just use a flying start? It would a) remove the need to position your car exactly right before starting a lap(which is tricky to do correctly and which I personally find annoying), b) remove the risk for drivers unintentionally getting an unfair advantage and, in the worst case scenario, getting their lap times scrapped (which, I'm willing to bet, is not going to motivate you into having another go) and c) remove(or at least reduce) the necessity for checking replays for whether a lap is valid.

I know it would not be accurate representation for what they do in Top Gear but as long as PD does not implement a proper standing start there is no way to ensure that this system is fair to everyone. I assume the point of the competition is, first and foremost, to have a bit of fun and I expect the arguments about starting position to be anything but fun (except for the readers who are not taking part).

Agree with the above. Like the rest of the lap it's up to the driver to get the best of a good start.

Doing this only really effects the lap untill the first corner.

I know it's hard to make the change now, but this really makes the most sense. No more argument.

I'm ok with a full scrap and a rolling start. I hate the standing start.

From now on it's rolling start only, i'll keep the old times up for a bit.

Last edited: